PDA

View Full Version : Ford 460 Oil Filter Relocation..

WriedtStuff
11-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Can you guys recommend a good kit to remote the oil filter on my 460 Ford? I can only fit a short filter on the block because of how close it is to the rail mount kit....
I looked at jegs and they have several of them....but confused on which one will work for me...don't need anything too extravagant...
Thanks

NAMarine
11-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Believe it or not you can get the housings from a auto parts store and the hose and fittings and lines from a hydraulic supply. Total parts were less than 100 bucks.

GofastRacer
11-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Any of the remote deals will work, you can plumb it how ever you want depending on how nice you want it to look!..

Moneypitt
11-16-2004, 07:44 PM
While any will work, the one that goes on the engine MUST be for your ford. After that any of them will work, and as luck may have it, most remote filter mounts actually use the PH8A type (ford) filter screw on.......There is a kit, that comes with everything you'll need to remount the filter. Remember to plan ahead for removal in a nice clean, no mess, no drip accessible area......MP

LakesOnly
11-16-2004, 08:15 PM
You may also be able to use the (I think) Ford diesel(?) engine right-angle dealio so that the long filter will clear your rail kit. Screw the right-angle adaptor onto the filter pad on your block and then your filter will screw directly onto it and be parallel with the stringers/rail kit. Clearance problem solved.
If anyone out there knows what I'm taking about, CHIME IN. I will research the exact oem application myself some more...
LO

roostwear
11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
On my old Tahiti, I used a remote adaptor kit from Summit, drilled and tapped the mounting holes on the bellhousing, and plumbed it with 1/2" 304. Worked great, was out of the way, and made changing filters a lot less messy.

Moneypitt
11-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Yeah, you can use a 90* adaptor, except, that ensures a mess while changing the filter as they do not drain back. I used a remote to the bellhousing area(as someone stated already) and left enough room to put a coffee can under/around the filter when changing. No mess, period!! Also allows the filter to be primed prior to installing without any spilage...........MP

Squirtin Thunder
11-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Again most of those kits are OK but you may want to go through them and smooth all the rough edges and enlarge the small oil return holes to 3/8" this will ensure less presure buildup.
Jim

77Eliminator
11-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Remote mounted filters create a potential oil leak source between the block and filter housing. Just something to consider

Blown 472
11-17-2004, 01:30 AM
Run a short filter, I had the right angle adaptor that ford sells and lost a few cranks if you look inside it very restirctive. Just use a short hastings or another good filter.

WriedtStuff
11-17-2004, 07:18 AM
The short filter I had on it was a Serria.....the wierd thing was when I took it off it was abnormally heavy.....I fullly expected to find it full of metal.....but it was oil/gas trapped in it....this fluid would not come out till I cut it open....is that normal?

hack job
11-17-2004, 09:32 AM
here is how i did mine in the old boat
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/36DSCN2080-med.JPG
except for the filter was mounted to the back of the seats.
my pieces are form earls they are billet ( i had the cheep cast ones and they broke) i know that they cost a bit more but in my mind were well worth every penny. i also know the part that lakes is talking about but i do not know the number on it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/36DSCN2643-med.JPG
and one of my spectra a long time ago
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/36DSC00539-med.JPG
hope this helps :wink:

LakesOnly
11-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Found it...
Ford Racing Performance Parts p/n M-6880-A50.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/full/m-6880-a50.jpg
M-6880-A50
Screws into block and rotates filter toward front of engine to provide clearance for engine swaps and chassis modifications.
Fits most Ford engines that use Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter.
Dimensions: 4.50H x 4.13W x 4.13D
Weight: 1.50#
Catalog Page: 103
Instruction Sheet: N/A
Suggested Retail: $54.95
If in fact this adaptor was the reason for Blown's oil starvation, then perhaps an inspection and/or portwork is necessary prior to installation. I know guys with dragboats that run these things, including a world record holder, without trouble.
LO

Squirtin Thunder
11-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Found it...
Ford Racing Performance Parts p/n M-6880-A50.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/full/m-6880-a50.jpg
M-6880-A50
Screws into block and rotates filter toward front of engine to provide clearance for engine swaps and chassis modifications.
Fits most Ford engines that use Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter.
Dimensions: 4.50H x 4.13W x 4.13D
Weight: 1.50#
Catalog Page: 103
Instruction Sheet: N/A
Suggested Retail: $54.95
If in fact this adaptor was the reason for Blown's oil starvation, then perhaps an inspection and/or portwork is necessary prior to installation. I know guys with dragboats that run these things, including a world record holder, without trouble.
LO
Paul,
I run one on my Desert Race truck engine with the Hayden Sandwich to the coolers. I had to clean up the castings on both to ensure proper oil flow. But like I have stated before no loss in presur with the 20' of line and cooler.
Jim

WriedtStuff
11-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Paul,
If this device rotates the filter towards the front of the engine...then I will surely not have room for it....my fuel pump is right in front of the oil filter...and the rail may still be to close for this to fit...
I will try and post a picture later today so you can see what I mean.

hack job
11-17-2004, 02:40 PM
you could point it backwards as well;)

Moneypitt
11-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Just an additional note: If you measure the length of the hoses you'll need you can look in the Omega power steering catalog (or others) and find pre made, high pressure, oil type hoses. They have fittings on each end and are rated for very high pressure. They will make the instalation neat and clean, as they usually are tailored with a 90* bend on the tubing leading to the fittings.........its simple to adapt the inverted flare fittings to the NPT threads in the adaptors.............MP

WriedtStuff
11-17-2004, 08:05 PM
MP,
I have serveral #10 aeroquip braided lines with AN fittings on them...I was going to use them if I decided to remote the filter....any reason why I could not use them?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-18-2004, 05:45 AM
I bought the kit from Jegs and I chose the dual filter with Chevy thread pattern on the filter mount. ACdelco makes a 2 quart filter for the diesels than spin right on. I mounted mine on the transom for easy access. Oreilly's by my house is able to make up hydraulic hoses with crimped ends. this is the route I went and I fully expecet the hoses to hold up from now on. It also added 4 quarts of oil capacity to my system which is always good. Wix and other manufacturers make the filter I use as well. I don't remember the number off the top of my head but if you go to any auto supply store they should know the one you are talking about.
Omega