PDA

View Full Version : i almost died on rice road today...

Riverat84
04-16-2006, 06:15 PM
yeah.....im on my way back from parker this afternoon around 1-ish and just after the checkpoint on rice road going west, i was following a motorhome towing a dodge dakota so it wasnt going 'fast enough'. there was a silverado in between us, and the road was clear on-coming so he decides to pass him up, well im not in a huge hurry so i figured we would wait till later. he pulls to the left, and OUT OF NOWHERE comes this little focking geo metro! he swirves to the left shoulder and gets sideways, the geo swirves towards me so i QUICKLY swirve to the right shoulder and get sideways and NEARLY miss this little metro!......i stop on the shoulder after getting completely backwards at almost 70.
i tell you it was just about the scariest thing in my life! thank God there was no one behind me.....im just glad that errbody's okay. i thought this would be interesting because of the recent 'rice road death thread'.
sounds like the last time ill be on that road.
what do you think would happen if i were towing my boat? shit!
Reid.

OGShocker
04-16-2006, 06:19 PM
HOLY SHIT! I am glad you are OK... I hate that road.

XtrmWakeborder
04-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Thats exactly why we tow through blythe....

ColeTR2
04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Wow!! Sound like a close call glad you're OK.

Riverat84
04-16-2006, 06:22 PM
dude it was one close focking call!....i was in my dodge ram and that thing did almost a complete 360 sending my head into the steering wheel...
i tell you even after the rest of the ride im still shook up....i should've listened to that thread. :cry: :mad:

Riverat84
04-16-2006, 06:22 PM
and thats EXACTLY why i will for now on, lol.
Reid

Holland
04-16-2006, 06:24 PM
That sucks...
Glad it was a miss... I quit taking Rice Road, especially after "Madeline's" incident...
It is worth the extra 20 min to go around on AZ 95.

yeah,right
04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I hate Rice Road. I'll take the extra 20 minutes and go to Blythe.

Riverat84
04-16-2006, 06:40 PM
yeah for sure, im gonna start doing that, especially when im towing....i tell you it was so scary. and it happened real fast also. screw this shitt....ill do blythe for now on.

Riverat84
04-16-2006, 06:42 PM
you guys should'a seen the dust cloud after that. huge.
Reid

whitefire
04-16-2006, 06:58 PM
I used to pull overtime in Desert Center and we responded to numerous fatality traffic collisions on that road. No good. AZ 95= more mellow. :)

phebus
04-16-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm glad your O.K. Did your shorts survive? :skull:

maxwedge
04-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Glad you're ok. Just think how terrifiied the guy in the Geo must have been with a Dodge Ram coming at him. :eek:

Jrocket
04-16-2006, 07:50 PM
That sucks...
Glad it was a miss... I quit taking Rice Road, especially after "Madeline's" incident...
It is worth the extra 20 min to go around on AZ 95.
Whats the latest on Madeline?How is she doing?

Holland
04-16-2006, 08:04 PM
last I heard from Mike was she is great. Life is returning to normal for the whole family... Last post from Mike
Originally Posted by boxscore
Madison IS doing FABULOUS! Every day is better than the one before. She's playing with her buddies, entertaining those around her, etc.... the same things she was doing prior to the accident. Now her day is also filled with therapy and recovery as well. She will be 100% recovered from her trauma soon enough. BTW, we still have a little lake party scheduled for late summer/ early fall. Stay tuned for the date!
This was last summer.
Cool, eh!!!!

Huckleberry
04-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Glad you made it out okay. Where did you go to change your chonies afterwards???

Supultlbich
04-16-2006, 08:19 PM
We rolled up on the crash a few weeks back when the Placentia PD officer and his nephew were killed and that was enough for us. We take the I40 or go through Blythe from now on.

Riverat84
04-16-2006, 08:54 PM
We rolled up on the crash a few weeks back when the Placentia PD officer and his nephew were killed and that was enough for us. We take the I40 or go through Blythe from now on.
oh shit you saw that? yeah that other silverado went right at it.....thank god i didnt pee my pants....that would just make it worse for me! lol.
Reid

Wake Havasu
04-17-2006, 12:47 AM
I too always use Ehrenberg exit off the 10.

RiverRatMike
04-17-2006, 01:04 AM
still will use Rice Road if I have to make a commute to CA.

dirty old man
04-17-2006, 07:08 AM
So you NEARLY missed the geo. How bad were you hurt?

Riverat84
04-17-2006, 07:24 AM
So you NEARLY missed the geo. How bad were you hurt?
not hurt at all, just have a headache from the steering wheel thats all.
Reid

SummitKarl
04-17-2006, 07:27 AM
still will use Rice Road if I have to make a commute to CA. it's fine for us to use because we use it on the weekdays, but Friday thru Sunday Rice Road hosts the "Motor Home Races". it's a all out free for all to be the first one to see if the river has MOVED since the last time they saw it :rolleyes:

Waldo
04-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Tru-Dat!!!
Anyone can have an auto accident anywhere...Just seems that Rice Rd. has a reputation of having more than others.

coolchange
04-17-2006, 07:51 AM
"Motor Home Races". it's a all out free for all to be the first one to see if the river has MOVED since the last time they saw it :rolleyes:
LMAO!

Mrs. casean
04-17-2006, 07:52 AM
I'm glad to hear you were alright. Must have been scary! We went home on Rice Road and it was pretty mellow at that time. Not too many people on the road. But Like you said... thank God you weren't towing!!!! Glad you're alright!

phebus
04-17-2006, 07:54 AM
I'll be driving Rice Rd today. Either look for me at Havasu, or for my name in the newspaper :2purples:

Riverat84
04-17-2006, 08:00 AM
it's fine for us to use because we use it on the weekdays, but Friday thru Sunday Rice Road hosts the "Motor Home Races". it's a all out free for all to be the first one to see if the river has MOVED since the last time they saw it :rolleyes:
thats AWESOME!....exactly why this crap happened i guess. im just glad errbody's aight.
Reid

Riverat84
04-17-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm glad to hear you were alright. Must have been scary! We went home on Rice Road and it was pretty mellow at that time. Not too many people on the road. But Like you said... thank God you weren't towing!!!! Glad you're alright!
yeah for sure! thanx for the concern....it was a scary, close call, and my boat would be trash if i were towing it....i probably would'nt be here, shit.
learned my lesson....next time, EHERENBURG! jesus.

meaniam
04-17-2006, 08:04 AM
shit im not even quite sure which one is rice road went that way my first time 2 weeks ago. was heading home and passed the check point you can turn right or go str8. saw the one road to the right that looks like it maybe a short cut thru 29 palms drops in on the 10 just east of palm springs, is that the dangerous part of rice road? or is it the 177 that drops off the 10fwy thru desert center? i went str8 on the 177. looked like that way can get bad to.
glad you made it thru that mess a full size truck doing a 360 never good. and of course a geo metro in a head on. almost a forsure death. the gods were smiling on that group

Riverat84
04-17-2006, 08:24 AM
shit im not even quite sure which one is rice road went that way my first time 2 weeks ago. was heading home and passed the check point you can turn right or go str8. saw the one road to the right that looks like it maybe a short cut thru 29 palms drops in on the 10 just east of palm springs, is that the dangerous part of rice road? or is it the 177 that drops off the 10fwy thru desert center? i went str8 on the 177. looked like that way can get bad to.
glad you made it thru that mess a full size truck doing a 360 never good. and of course a geo metro in a head on. almost a forsure death. the gods were smiling on that group
yeah for sure man...the 177 turns into the 62 which is rice road...its a big right turn whenyoure going towards parker...they both are scary, and to think i took it at night friday night on the way up....good lord.
Reid.

Ziggy
04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Wow dude, I'm real glad you're ok, sure makes you think deep about our mortality.
Sounds like another poor decision by the driver of the other truck.....I will never pass unless I have clear vision of oncoming for several minutes...too many dips for little cars to hide in momentarily.....
And if you read the "fastest way to Havasu" thread you will probably realize I don't do alot of passing anymore........rather, I give way to those towing their 30+ footers with Trailblazers at 80mph :rolleyes: same peeps I'll pass when they get pulled over for ticket :rollside:
Drive Smart friends.....the lake will still be there in the morning ;)

SmokinLowriderSS
04-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Damn rr84, glad you all are alright, That was almost a real bad one all over the place. :yuk:

Raylar
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I have driven rice road so many times since the seventies that I think I know every rock and bush on that damn stretch! Its always been a near death expierence when the high speed driving and passing gets crazy, especially on weekends. I think I am going to put those high powered stobe lamps in my parking light housings and turn them on when I drive that damn road! Glad to hear everybody escaped apparently unharmed, thats not usually the case on that stretch when these things happen!
Ray @ Raylar

Magic Boomerang
04-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Memorial week-end of 90 or 91 my wife and I sat on Rice Rd. for approx. 3 hours while an entire family was extracted from their vehicle after a head-on! Deceased were husband, wife, 1 toddler, and 1 infant. I don't miss the trip or the road!

Riverat84
04-17-2006, 07:35 PM
damn guys, for sure, i dont think ill ever be driving that road again, and to think i said that last time.

meaniam
04-20-2006, 12:13 PM
the counties need to put passing lanes every 15 miles or so. for the slower traffic. for the money it would cost san bernardino and riverside counties, i figure the lifes it would save would be worth it.

2Driver
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
not hurt at all, just have a headache from the steering wheel thats all.
Reid
Man! Just think if you were towing. BTW: What did you use to clean the drivers seat after it was all over? :D