PDA

View Full Version : I need Help with River Home Audio

BadBahner
11-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Hey everybody,
I know a bit about car stereo but not about home audio. Here is my situation:
I need to get sound to 3 locations in my house.
Currently installed
Back Bedroom 2 6.5" speakers are curently in the ceiling. They look like car speakers.
Front Room 2 6.5" speakers are curently in the ceiling. They look like car speakers.
Outside Deck: Prewired with a pair of speaker wire
The wires all go to a stereo cabinet in the front room.
What I want:
To replace all the speakers in the ceilings with decent 6.5s but I dont know if car stereo speakers will work with a home reciever.
I want a home reciever that will run all of this or other peripherals that will help accomplish this. This reciever will need to have a digital audio input coming from my dvd player/TV. I have a TV/DVD combo and the only output it has is digital audio, no RCA out.
I would like my outside deck to have nice outdoor speakers hanging up and mounted permanently. I would also like some strong lows outside (1 or 2 subs)
Bottom line:
I want to have kick ass party tunes outside and clean sound inside.
I am not opposed to having 2 recievers but that would be a last resort.
Thanks for your help guys...
Eric

ROZ
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM
How do you want to control each zone?
How many speakers in your home theater?
Basically few ways to do it:
1. 2 seperate systems: one for your theater and one the rest of the house off speaker selector w/volume control.
2. 2 seperate systems: One for theater, one for rest of house through a speaker selector running to volume controls at your music location.
3. Multi zone 7 ch a/v receiver with 5 channels to run theater and the other 2 channels run into a speaker selector w/ or w/o volume
4. Multizone a/v receiver with second zone out from receiver to a multichannel(like 6 zone) amp that is attenuated from volume controls inside each zone.
5. Receiver to run theater and a seperate multisource/zone receiver to run the remainder of the house like the zones in #4...
They have outdoor and inwall subs that can cover your lows...
Most A/v inceiling speakers are 8ohm ea, while car speakers are 3and 4 ohm...
I elected to run 2 seperate receivers. My theater is 6.1, so I only needed a nice 6.1 receiver with only half the bells and wistles. The rest of my house is currently wired to my old a/v receiver with a volume control/speaker selector that runs 2 pair of outdoor speakers. I haven't had time to install the ceiling speakers in the remainder for the whole house system. The master bedroom speakers are set up to play from the receiver and will automatically switch to play tv sound once my tv is turned on... I'll run a multizone receiver once I get the $$ to do so :D

BadBahner
11-17-2004, 01:24 PM
How do you want to control each zone?
How many speakers in your home theater?
Basically few ways to do it:
1. 2 seperate systems: one for your theater and one the rest of the house off speaker selector w/volume control.
2. 2 seperate systems: One for theater, one for rest of house through a speaker selector running to volume controls at your music location.
3. Multi zone 7 ch a/v receiver with 5 channels to run theater and the other 2 channels run into a speaker selector w/ or w/o volume
4. Multizone a/v receiver with second zone out from receiver to a multichannel(like 6 zone) amp that is attenuated from volume controls inside each zone.
5. Receiver to run theater and a seperate multisource/zone receiver to run the remainder of the house like the zones in #4...
They have outdoor and inwall subs that can cover your lows...
Most A/v inceiling speakers are 8ohm ea, while car speakers are 3and 4 ohm...
I elected to run 2 seperate receivers. My theater is 6.1, so I only needed a nice 6.1 receiver with only half the bells and wistles. The rest of my house is currently wired to my old a/v receiver with a volume control/speaker selector that runs 2 pair of outdoor speakers. I haven't had time to install the ceiling speakers in the remainder for the whole house system. The master bedroom speakers are set up to play from the receiver and will automatically switch to play tv sound once my tv is turned on... I'll run a multizone receiver once I get the $$ to do so :D
Thanks for the quick reply Roz...
I am really not attempting to do any type of home theater so what would the best approach be without the theater.
What if I put a 4ohm speaker on a 8ohm home reciever? What will happen?
Thanks,
Eric

ROZ
11-18-2004, 01:44 PM
A quality receiver won't have a problem running 4ohm.. I'd stay away from the non es Sony, though... A Denon, HK, or Yamaha will work fine..
You'll want to make sure to run an impedence matching speaker selector...

GlastronGuy
11-19-2004, 05:43 PM
You'll want to make sure to run an impedence matching speaker selector...
ROZ is that a seperate box?

ROZ
11-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Yup...
The one right above me here in my office a home(where I keep the audio gear for outside) is a 4 pair (zone) impedence matching selector with a volume control for each pr. Pro solutions SBX4VC is the model.. I'll ditch it and use volume controls at each location when I get my 12(6 zone) channel amp...
Howz the weather up there?

GlastronGuy
11-19-2004, 08:17 PM
It's foggy and miserable. I suppose the suns out down there?
My ES does 4 ohm and my speakers are 4 ohm. I was looking to upgrade to AC3
but not many receivers do 4 ohm. Good to know I can use some contraption to match the impedance.