PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Stones, How many have had them and..

Wally_Gator
11-18-2004, 12:09 PM
What did you do for the pain?
I am Currently feeling my third one ready to press its way on down the tract...
I am not looking forward to the actual passage. Last time I ended in the
hospital on delaudid.
Anyone?

RandyH
11-18-2004, 12:18 PM
I had them when I was on Diamox for my eye. When I would feel one coming I would drink huge amounts of water. It will help you pass it and make it easier to flow. Sometimes it works backwords and causes more pain but when it feels that bad, what does it matter. When your throwing up with pain, You will do anything to get rid of it. Good Luck. They suck.
RandyH

gramps
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
I might not be too far behind you..............had the pain for a few days. The one thing that I found that helps is better living thru chemistry!!!!!!!!

Tom Brown
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
What ever happened with those sonic treatment beds that had the patient lay on gel pads that would emit sound pulses that could break down the stones? Do they still do that?
We never had those in my area because they are too expensive. We've only got two MRI machines in the whole province (about a million people) and one of them is at a veterinary college in Saskatoon but they donate time on it to the provincial health system when they're not using it.
We've got narcotics, though. ... and leeches. :D

Rev. Williams
11-18-2004, 12:30 PM
What ever happened with those sonic treatment beds that had the patient lay on gel pads that would emit sound pulses that could break down the stones? Do they still do that?
We never had those in my area because they are too expensive. We've only got two MRI machines in the whole province (about a million people) and one of them is at a veterinary college in Saskatoon but they donate time on it to the provincial health system when they're not using it.
We've got narcotics, though. ... and leeches. :D
From what I went through with mine a few years ago they said the sonic method was only for the larger ( > 2mm size I believe ) stones. The ones that can pass they let go.
Water by the gallons is best and Vicodin!! Becareful if you go to ER, on my third one they gave me morphien (sp?) and it was injected too fast which gave me Phlebitis (burning of the vein) then a good year of anxiety attacks after!!!
Good luck with it.... I know they hurt frikin BAD !!!

Wally_Gator
11-18-2004, 12:45 PM
The sonic bed thing is still done. A guy working next to me had that done a year ago. (lipotripsy? I think) He said afterwards it felt like the whole area was bruised and he pissed blood for a bit. He had a stone that was too big for passing..
When the shot me with delaudid, it burned like hell for about 15 seconds. Then, WOW.. They gave a coctail. It helped that the Attending had gone through Kidney stones before.
Water... I am drinking so much I might as well be a jet boat..
It is the anticipation of when the (REAL) pain will come that gets me..
This precursor pain in my side I can handle, even the burning rope sensation from my kidney to my manhood..
I have Norco (not the city) on standby.. Basically a high dose of Vicodin..

little rowe boat
11-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Good luck,I have had them and I would not wish them on my worst enemy.
Ask the Doc. for some good drugs.

Flyinbowtie
11-18-2004, 12:56 PM
One of God's gifts to men, are they not?
I have had 5 of the little darlings, and when I feel one coming on, I start slamming the water. I don't quite make the 2mm threshold, so no sonic blaster for me, either. On the first one, I thought it was my appendex, what I thought was the second time around it WAS my appendix.
Morphine with a Demerol chaser is the only thing that touches the pain. The little xray gig where they track the damn thing with dye increases the pain by about 100%.
Passed one cold turkey once, camped in the motorhome in Jackpot, Nevada. Was on the way home from vacation at the dunes in Idaho. I was so sore the next morning I could not drive. A warm tub of water sometimes can help alittle, but I would go to the hospital.

Wally_Gator
11-18-2004, 03:39 PM
I am going to the Dr. tomorrow to confirm that this is one. It is just like the 2 I had on my left side but with the appendix and all being on the right side. I want to make sure it is what I think it is.. By the way no fevers or anything else..

mud duck
11-18-2004, 06:40 PM
I just went through two surgeries (a week apart) on my right kidney to clean it out. It was much more of an ordeal than I had expected. I felt every darn pot hole in the road on the way home. But the hole in my back has closed up now and I am nearly back to 100% again. Next Tuesday we begin the planning & scheduling for the left kidney surgery. Mine were to big and to many for the sound wave treatment. They gave me Oxycodone for pain. I am not looking forward to the left side. :frown:

switchin'addiction
11-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Hate to hear your going through this. Keep the meds flowing, thats about the only thing that seems to help.

ahhell
11-18-2004, 07:05 PM
alot of places can call in a mobile lithotripsy machine..the shock thing...but the demand is so small that most places dont bother...not cost effective