PDA

View Full Version : Boat History HIN Search

Infomaniac
11-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Is there a service to search boat history owners, damage, insurance claims etc?
Lots of them for cars but not sure about boats.
Help !!!!!!! :wink:

Infomaniac
11-18-2004, 07:34 PM
ttt

switchin'addiction
11-18-2004, 07:39 PM
I've been hoping someone would have an answer to this also.

Boatcop
11-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Contact the manufacturer.
They can give you a history of any warranty work done. They can also tell you if the engine, drive, etc. is original to the hull or has been replaced. If the maker is out of business, I'm afraid you're SOL.
For the engine and/or drive, call the component maker (Mercury, OMC, etc) with the engine (et al) serial number.
To see if any recalls or safety defects have been applied to your boat, you can access the Coast Guard database here:
Coast Guard Recalls (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recalls_database.htm)
(The "MIC" they ask for on the site is the first 3 letters of the HIN.)

Boatcop
11-18-2004, 08:23 PM
I'll wait for Keith (BoatPI) to chime in here. I'm sure he has resources in the private sector that I don't.

switchin'addiction
11-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks BC!

Infomaniac
11-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Thanks Boat Cop

BoatPI
11-19-2004, 06:50 AM
I guess I will. Without being too specific, as we all know, not every single person viewing these boards are on the up and up, let me say this.
Alan is correct, and the insurance industry has a large database, along with the National Insurance Crime Bureau. Depending on the claim, some, or all of perhaps 15 databases will be used.
As an example, I worked a now closed claim eariler this year. The involved party claimed their $300,000 boat was suddenly involved in a sinking off of Catalina. He was aboard, and awoke to a sinking boat. I do believe the boat sank, with the assured utilizing a dingy to flee.
I used 4 databases, talked to 6 witnesses, worked very closely with the Coast Guard investigators (great folks). In the end, the assured's attorney asked that if he (assured) withdrew his claim, would the insurance company NOT prosecute him for insurance fraud, etc. The claim went away. This $300,000 boat is down at 2,500 feet.
I had a So Cal marine repair shop substuiting engine blocks for our assured's during an authorized repair (now a convicted felon), fools reporting their boat stolen, finding a empty hull, changing the HIN to match their's, and dumping it. Law enforcement recovers the boat, and some insurance companies just pay the claim. The crook owner hides his boat, then chenges their HIN, and re-titles the boat in another State. I would not try this, it is generally worth 18 months in State prison. It does not end. I could write two books. Greed is amazing.
So I know I have not answered the question in detail, but sorry to say, giving away all of my/our investigative skills and resources is not prudent.
I have NEVER seen a legitimate claim not paid properly.

Infomaniac
11-19-2004, 07:01 AM
I am just trying to find out the history of a specific boat for sale.
You can do this with a car why not a boat?

Infomaniac
11-19-2004, 10:02 AM
So I know I have not answered the question in detail, but sorry to say, giving away all of my/our investigative skills and resources is not prudent.
You know the more I think about this reply the more I remember you coming to these boards and asking for help.
Maybe next time you ask for help I will not feel it prudent to help you make some $$ recovering a stolen boat.
I simply want to check a boat's background. Not become your competitor.

BoatPI
11-19-2004, 10:15 AM
This is NOT about competition ,just not airing investgative resources in a public forum. And if you wre to check your PM.
I responded with an answer that should help you. Don't get worked up on this, certain things can and are discussed in public, some things are not for obvious reasons. Many board members have assisted me, all in private.

Infomaniac
11-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks. I have not read the PM yet.
I understand that some things are not appropriate to mention in public that will remain as a permanent written record. Not that you explained it :redface: :redface:
For whatever reason. My previous post just popped into my head and I wrote it.
Maybe not the best thing I could have done. We are all human. Live and learn.
Ron

BoatPI
11-19-2004, 03:20 PM
This forum is an excellent network, and I agree, we all plan on keeping it that way. Keith