PDA

View Full Version : 22's on a tahoe

thom
11-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have 22's on a Tahoe.. and if so did you upgrade the rotors and brakes??? From what im hearing its suggested to change them with 22's but 20's dont really need them changed.. any suggestions or comments are welcomed

riverbound
11-18-2004, 08:36 PM
I've got 22s on my tahoe and just bolted them on. I have 14k miles on it now and have seen no problems.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_358-med.jpg

LVJAKAZ
11-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Nice!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

riverbound
11-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Nice!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
Thanks, Jay hooked me up.

thom
11-18-2004, 09:07 PM
is it true that even the 20's void the warranty onthe front end?
The reason for my concern is i bought the wife a this truck and we have already had to take it in for the front end...

riverbound
11-18-2004, 09:27 PM
The reason for my concern is i bought the wife a this truck and we have already had to take it in for the front end...
I have never had any problems with wheels voiding warranties, especially since most dealers are now selling them that way. It all depends on where you get your truck from I guess.

thom
11-18-2004, 09:45 PM
my sister just put 22's on her 05 escalade from the dealer and they highly recommened that she upgrade the brakes..

moneysucker
11-18-2004, 09:57 PM
There is no reason that you should upgrade the brakes. Much Larger tires can justify brake upgrade. the larger rims and same outside diameter tires doesn't increase the rotating mass or the speed the rotors turn so I am calling BS but nice try on the upgrade sale.

switchin'addiction
11-18-2004, 10:16 PM
There is no reason that you should upgrade the brakes. Much Larger tires can justify brake upgrade. the larger rims and same outside diameter tires doesn't increase the rotating mass or the speed the rotors turn so I am calling BS but nice try on the upgrade sale.
Yup

Woodster
11-18-2004, 10:20 PM
We have a Tahoe with 22's and stock brakes..Had them for over a year with 20k miles and no probs towing the boat..

Boozer
11-18-2004, 10:32 PM
That's not completely true.
In most scenarios increasing the diameter of the rim WILL increase the rotational mass. Not due to size but due to weight. MOST 22"+ rims add a lot of weight which in turn adds more rotational mass. There are companies now that are making light weight 22"+ rims though. I'd say anything under 22" and your probably okay as long as they are not incredibly heavy, now if you're talking about a 22" spinner that weighs close to 70 lbs a wheel then you should definitely upgrade the brakes.
If your going with a rim that will require a brake upgrade you better have some bucks bigger brakes arent cheap you count on spending 3-4K on the brakes alone. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
If the weight increase in the rim is not a monster jump you could probably get away with just installing a set of cross drilled rotors. They should be able to dissapate the heat enough that you wont lose much if any braking. However, cross drilled rotors are prone to cracking. I had them on my street/strip car and they lasted about 6 months between daily driving and the track.

thom
11-18-2004, 10:38 PM
so far i think im going to stay with the 20's and not worry about the brakes.. but im still concerned about the warranty... Especially since the 04 tahoes seem to have problems with the front end

Woodster
11-18-2004, 10:44 PM
so far i think im going to stay with the 20's and not worry about the brakes.. but im still concerned about the warranty... Especially since the 04 tahoes seem to have problems with the front end
From what i understand, theres no warranty on brakes.. Ive been told by a few diff shops that 22's are fine with stock brakes, 24's need to be upgraded. My wifes tahoe had a 6" lift with 35's before we decided to lower it..I would think a 17" wheel with 35's would be alot more rotational mass then a 22" wheel with a 40 series tire..You would be fine with 22's

That Guy
11-18-2004, 11:35 PM
We run 24's on our suburban with stock brakes and haven't had any problems. Towing, snow, whatever...they have been great. :shift:

BoatPI
11-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Chev is putting 20's from the factory on 05' models. And if you can order it, 4.10 gears might be a good thing too.

Powerquestboy
11-19-2004, 07:32 AM
I have 20's on my Yukon with no problems and the dealer has no problems with warrenty issues on it. I think since they offer the 20's as an upgrade they can hardly justify denying you on any warrenty issue. I have friends with a Denali on 22's, an Denali on 23's, Escalade on 23's, Tahoe on 22's with about 50K miles on them, all are running stock brakes a few are towing big boats, (27 Ultra, 25 Malibu) not one of them has had a problem with brakes. Nobody has had warrenty issues at the dealer either. If you figure probably 99% of the lifted trucks on the road are running stock brakes with 18, 19 & 20 inch wheels on 35 and 38 inch tires, that has got to be harder on brakes than 22's.
Go for the 22's, I got 20's and they look good but I wish I went with 22's.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-19-2004, 08:00 AM
That's not completely true.
In most scenarios increasing the diameter of the rim WILL increase the rotational mass. Not due to size but due to weight. MOST 22"+ rims add a lot of weight which in turn adds more rotational mass. There are companies now that are making light weight 22"+ rims though. I'd say anything under 22" and your probably okay as long as they are not incredibly heavy, now if you're talking about a 22" spinner that weighs close to 70 lbs a wheel then you should definitely upgrade the brakes.
If your going with a rim that will require a brake upgrade you better have some bucks bigger brakes arent cheap you count on spending 3-4K on the brakes alone. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
If the weight increase in the rim is not a monster jump you could probably get away with just installing a set of cross drilled rotors. They should be able to dissapate the heat enough that you wont lose much if any braking. However, cross drilled rotors are prone to cracking. I had them on my street/strip car and they lasted about 6 months between daily driving and the track.
I agree 100% witrh this man. I had a magazine at work that had a article about big wheels. If you have 22's and under you will be fine. I have 22's on my denali and it stops on a dime.

CustomCruiser
11-19-2004, 08:24 AM
I would stay away from drilled rotors. They have a tendency to crack. Slotted rotors seem to be more reliable.
You should be fine with the stock brakes. Get a feel for it the first time you tow. If the rotors warp after some period of time, then upgrade to a good set of slotted rotors and possibly new calipers. :cool:

imbndvs
11-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I have a 2002 Denale withe 22" wheels. I have 66000 miles and have NEVER changed the brakes and I still have over 50% left. I do do a lot of freeway driving going between Vegas and Havasu. I have not hade ANY problems with breaks at all.

johnsonmarine
11-19-2004, 12:47 PM
TALK TO DECKKAT HE IS RUNNIN 24s ON HIS TAHOE. :D

Brewzed
11-19-2004, 01:24 PM
I have an 02' sub with 20's. The I changed my pads at 54k due to a noise issue, turns out it was the e-brake. my wife drove with it on and it never dis-engaged. Basically ate up the inside of the rotors. The rear rotors have a kind of a built in drum style brake for the e-brake (shoes and all).
I put on slotted rotors and I can't believe the differnce in the braking. Feels way more like a car.
When I do the fronts, I am going to add oversized rotors. This brand (can't rember the name) has a slotted rotor and a relocation bracket for the stock calipers. It's about $400 or so compared to a $2000 for a front brake kit.

riverroyal
11-19-2004, 06:45 PM
i wouldnt worry about the brakes so much as a good wheel,,,dont go cheap,,check the load rating,the bigger the wheel the easier to bust while towing,torque blah blah,,,braking a wheel while towing can be very scary,no mexico cast rims,,,,,,,try WELDS,more money but good quality,they make 22s now,,,,,,we have 20s on a excursion,we tow or 28 boat and 30ft trailer with toys no problem,,,,,,see ya

BajaMike
11-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Tell your wife to quit running into the curbs.....(just kidding) :wink:
My ex-wife once was driving home after a few drinks, made a wrong turn and went straight over the curb on a dead end street.
She blew all four tires and cracked all four wheels, and screwed up the front end. :(
I traded her in (the wife, not the truck)!
:2purples: