PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Thing a majig..???????

Lawler
11-19-2004, 01:30 PM
If anyone knows what I'm talking about. I'd like to replace my trailer winch with one of those flat bars that swings up and latches over the eylet of the boat. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and if so where can I get one?

1978 Rogers
11-19-2004, 01:33 PM
I know what your talking about. I just don't know where you find one.

Nubbs
11-19-2004, 01:33 PM
I always called it a floater bar. You can make one or try a trailer place.

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Custom fab one up very simple.
That was mine after the boat was slammed from the rear and moved 4" forward. It held up well. Bow eyelet got bent and cracked hull though.
Jim

OkieDave
11-19-2004, 02:11 PM
you wont like it once you try it. the winch is much better.

Taylorman
11-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Why would you want one of those instead of a winch? Winch seams much better. Seems like it would be hard to load your boat on the trailer with the flat bar. Looks like you have to get the boat positioned just perfect to latch it.

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Why would you want one of those instead of a winch? Winch seams much better. Seems like it would be hard to load your boat on the trailer with the flat bar. Looks like you have to get the boat positioned just perfect to latch it.
It actually only takes about 2 - 5 sec to hook up the boat in smooth water about 10 sec in rough water. The system is quick !!! The first time might be a bit of a bitch but you get used to it real quick.
Jim
BTW - Notice the safty pink rope, that keeps the boat from pulling over the bar !!!

Jake W2
11-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Do you now what it is for or do you just like the looks of it better?
It is so that the boat can move around abit while towing and is not tied to something rigid it is said to be easier on the hull.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 02:36 PM
It also helps prevent a trailer hook in the boat. I actually unhook when the boat is just sitting, my boat has moved almost 5 incheses just sitting over the winter.
Jim

Jake W2
11-19-2004, 02:45 PM
A floater bar allso looks way better than a rusty wench on the front of the trailer.The one my trailer came with is crome(oohh oaaaww)
I had one on my Competive trailer too and it was better to load with two people.One driving the boat and one grabing it and sliding the pin it presto done.
Jake

WheelerDealer
11-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Squirtin Thunder posted...
It also helps prevent a trailer hook in the boat. I actually unhook when the boat is just sitting, my boat has moved almost 5 incheses just sitting over the winter.
Okay dude, you're going to have to explain to me how your boat moved almost five inches on it's own over the winter, cuz' I don't be gettin' it!

superdave013
11-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I owned 2 trailers with the bar.
Wait until a friend pulls your boat out to fast / hard. The boat slides back and the bar flips over. If it does not break the bow eye it will f up the front of your boat.
They do look good and do make it quick and easy to get a small boat on and off the trailer. But the winch is a better set up if it's done right.

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Okay dude, you're going to have to explain to me how your boat moved almost five inches on it's own over the winter, cuz' I don't be gettin' it!
As the glass and wood dry they actually change shape. If you hook your boat up after a week of use and mark it in multiple places it will move. My old Sanger O/B moved 13". It is totaly unbelievable but both boats do it. I think they are just trying to get to the water.
Jim

Jake W2
11-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Super d you can mount the bar the other way to fix that problem I have seen it done and they said it worked fine.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 06:40 PM
I owned 2 trailers with the bar.
Wait until a friend pulls your boat out to fast / hard. The boat slides back and the bar flips over. If it does not break the bow eye it will f up the front of your boat.
They do look good and do make it quick and easy to get a small boat on and off the trailer. But the winch is a better set up if it's done right.
I had that happen once;
BTW - Notice the safty pink rope, that keeps the boat from pulling over the bar !!!
Jim

Jake W2
11-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Good point Jim a way better fix.I am not sure if the color of rope I would use would be PINK though :redface:
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Good point Jim a way better fix.I am not sure if the color of rope I would use would be PINK though :redface:
Jake
It makes it easy to see !!!!
And it has a gental touch !!!!
Jim

WheelerDealer
11-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Squirtin Thunder...
As the glass and wood dry they actually change shape. If you hook your boat up after a week of use and mark it in multiple places it will move. My old Sanger O/B moved 13". It is totaly unbelievable but both boats do it. I think they are just trying to get to the water.
Thanks for the explaination. I hope you didn't think I was trying to throw the B.S. flag on ya ST, I can see how it could happen and does happen, it was just hard to believe when I first read it.

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the explaination. I hope you didn't think I was trying to throw the B.S. flag on ya ST, I can see how it could happen and does happen, it was just hard to believe when I first read it.
My buddies dad told me to disconect the bow when I store the boat I asked him why he said it wants to move. I thought he was crazy but did it anyway. Two weeks later went to take the boat out and well I couldn't hook the bow up. Didn't get to go till I had some friends come over and help move that heavy ass end of the boat forward. and that was only a couple of inches. ( Sanger O/B )
Jim

Hustler
11-19-2004, 07:08 PM
I had the floater bar on my trailer before I redid it and hated it, plus if you dont tie the front of the boat down it beat up the gel around the bow eye when you get on rough roads.

Jake W2
11-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Hustler sounds like the fab on your bar was bad the sides of the U should never be big enough to touch the boat when it is conected.
Jake

GasGuzzler
11-20-2004, 04:26 AM
If anyone knows what I'm talking about. I'd like to replace my trailer winch with one of those flat bars that swings up and latches over the eylet of the boat. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and if so where can I get one?
Go with the winch setup. Had the bar (looks cool, but pain in the butt) on mine and it bounces bad. Even with a strap tied from the eye to the trailer had so much bounce it would break the strap on the highway. Plus with the winch and stop roller you can drive on without worry of running up too far on trailer. Just my 2 cents. But if you are still set on a bar...email me and I will send you one before I cut it up and use it for something else!
(parts donated by....Randy)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2027winch.jpg

BrendellaJet
11-20-2004, 08:58 AM
I guess if you store it outside in the elements it moves... In the garage mine hasn't moved an inch unless I initiated the movement. I like the bow eye. For a little boat there isn't a need for a winch IMO. Way faster with the bar.

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2004, 09:08 AM
I guess if you store it outside in the elements it moves... In the garage mine hasn't moved an inch unless I initiated the movement. I like the bow eye. For a little boat there isn't a need for a winch IMO. Way faster with the bar.
I was reading an artical in an old PowerBoat mag 1982 about smaller boats an thin hulls. And I guess that the Timminator is tecnically correct, most of the 17' - 19' hulls are concidered patato chip hulls. Now mine being on the lighter side, not quite sure of the wieght but twice as thick as Budlights CP. It moves around onthe trailer quite a bit with weather change, temp change also. Put a new boweyelet in last night and had absolutely no problem moving the boat over a foot back on the trailer, no engine in it. But I kept picking it up very easly, and that was over 2/3s of the boat. I would guess it is somewhere around 500lbs.
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Jake
OK OK !!!! I just changed it Jake it is now YELLOW !!!!

Jake W2
11-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Jim if your SANGER hull only weighs 500 lbs it would be the first JETBOAT HULL form Sanger that I have read about being that light now V drive might be a diffrent story.
For referance I had a 79 Kachina that was bare and I could mussel it around in fact I could carry(slide)the deck around by my self befor I did a cap job on it.And it weighed probely close to 800 I would say give or take a few.and I slid it from the trailer to the dolly no problem.
My Gullwing is really a 450 lbs boat and I can lift it very easy.
Jim have you put that thing on a scale.How thin was the bottom where you took the intake out?The Kachina was like 3/4 thick my gullwing is more like 1/2 or 3/8 .I laminated some carbon fiber down the center after I had reglassed the set back hole.I did my stringers in Carbon fiber just for looks and had some left over so I said what the hell.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Jim if your SANGER hull only weighs 500 lbs it would be the first JETBOAT HULL form Sanger that I have read about being that light now V drive might be a diffrent story.
For referance I had a 79 Kachina that was bare and I could mussel it around in fact I could carry(slide)the deck around by my self befor I did a cap job on it.And it weighed probely close to 800 I would say give or take a few.and I slid it from the trailer to the dolly no problem.
Jim have you put that thing on a scale.How thin was the bottom where you took the intake out?The Kachina was like 3/4 thick my gullwing is more like 1/2 or 3/8 .I laminated some carbon fiber down the center after I had reglassed the set back hole.I did my stringers in Carbon fiber just for looks and had some left over so I said what the hell.
Jake
Jake,
The bottom is 7/16" thick the sides are less than half that thick and the transom is also thin, but it has plywood a third of the way up. This hull has a strange cracking sound when up lean on it in the rear.
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2004, 02:16 PM
OK OK !!!! I just changed it Jake it is now YELLOW !!!!
Are you happier now Jake ???
Jim

Jake W2
11-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Yea, Yellow is more manly than PINK
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Jake
Well I just drilled a hole in the transom. The thing is only at this spot well less than a quarter of an inch. Sorry I still can't quite focus enough to read my calipers, but it says something like .216 " and the tape says its smaller than 1/4". So there you have it. The bottom where the intake is is 7/16".

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Well I just drilled a hole in the transom. The thing is only at this spot well less than a quarter of an inch. Sorry I still can't quite focus enough to read my calipers, but it says something like .216 " and the tape says its smaller than 1/4". So there you have it. The bottom where the intake is is 7/16".
Well the holes are all drilled for the new water dumps. And the second hole plug is less than a 1/4" too, and is on the other side of the transom. If you look at the pic I drill the holes 3" to the outside of the diverter control and the reverce cable and 13 3/4" up from the bottom. This way they are right in line with the other fittings.

Jake W2
11-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Jim most Transoms with wood in them are 1/4 thick glass.Mine was about 1/4 to5/16 no wood just glass but now it is about 1/2 just glass.
And Then
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Jim most Transoms with wood in them are 1/4 thick glass.Mine was about 1/4 to5/16 no wood just glass but now it is about 1/2 just glass.
And Then
Jake
No wood on 2/3 of the transom

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Anyone,
Is the way the transom is on my Sanger a comon thing. I have not seen it before. 1/3 wood 2/3 all glass !!! Also less than a 1/4". The plywood in the transom looks to be maybe 3/8" thick.
Jim

Jake W2
11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Jim in the pics I have seen they have wood all the way across but they were both super jets.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Jim in the pics I have seen they have wood all the way across but they were both super jets.
Jake
And all the way up !!!
Jim

Mohavekid
11-23-2004, 09:14 PM
My mini cruiser looks similar.
The transom glass is 7/16 thick and backed by plywood that's 1/2 inch thick. The wood goes from the bottom of the hull to about 1/2 of the way up the transom, which is where the transom starts to flare out.
However they built them, it must have been right. My boat is 22 years old and I've used it hard in the rough water of Lake Mohave the majority of the time. There is not a stress crack to be found anywhere on the hull.

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 09:18 PM
My mini cruiser looks similar.
The transom glass is 7/16 thick and backed by plywood that's 1/2 inch thick. The wood goes from the bottom of the hull to about 1/2 of the way up the transom, which is where the transom starts to flare out.
However they built them, it must have been right. My boat is 22 years old and I've used it hard in the rough water of Lake Mohave the majority of the time. There is not a stress crack to be found anywhere on the hull.
I don't have any stress cracks in the hull.
Jim

Mohavekid
11-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Getting back on the trailer topic, the trailer on my parents Ski Sanger has both the float bar and a winch strap with bow stop. I'll take a pic the next time I'm up at their house.

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Getting back on the trailer topic, the trailer on my parents Ski Sanger has both the float bar and a winch strap with bow stop. I'll take a pic the next time I'm up at their house.
This is my tread we can go where ever we want to on it. Hell we can go as far as talking about O/B jets !!!!
Not a chance !!! :yuk:
Jim