PDA

View Full Version : A little engine help

RUCAV
11-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Engine questions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is the copy of the email I received from Darrin at Magic boats. My question was what would I need to do to put the Chevy 572, 620 HP engine in the 28' deck boat. This is his reply. Does anyone out there have anything to add or to call BS on. Im not an engine guy so I need the opinion of those of you who know more than me.
I know there is another section for gearheads, but im looking for maximum exposure.
Thanks for you help.
Rick, Sorry it took so long but I was able to gather perfect info in reguards to the parts needed to make that motor into a marine application motor.
The reason I went with the deluxe is because it comes w/
carb, HEI dist, intake, Demon 858 carb, spark plug wires, water pump, and flex plate.
The only items that will need changing should be the old pan, flex plate, and water pump.
Alright ready?
ZZ572/620 Deluxe $13,000.00
Marine Parts Kit $6,200.00
Teague Platium Drive $9,600.00
HP Gimbal $4,200.00
Total: 33,077.00 + Tax
That is really not that bad a price for 620 HP
Keep in mind that there is no Warranty on this motor
Also keep in mind that a Mercury 525 EFI is $29,000.00 and comes with a drive and gimbal and is also covered under warranty from mercury for a year.
I'll do whatever you want. I did talk with a friend that has that engine in his Carrera and he has a Whipple Charger as well.
Say's he's close to a 1000 HP
The difference in speed between the 525 and the 620 HP is going to be about 4-7 MPH

boatnam2
11-19-2004, 04:44 PM
what is the question.you have a 572 and want to put it in the boat.i have a 28ft deckboat with a teague 620 and maye can answer a few questions for you.i believe the teague 620 with drive ready to go is around 45k.

CustomCruiser
11-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Some people say you need to disassemble, machine, and change some things in this engine for marine use. Other people say bolt it in and go. I know someone with a pair of these motors in his boat and he has had great results. He did not change anything internally, but he runs dry exhaust. Wet exhaust will more than likely cause some problems with this engine in its street form. If you shop around, you could find someone to do the internal mods for about the same bottom line and you would have a motor that will blow the transom off the HP525.

MudPumper
11-19-2004, 05:04 PM
There was a recent article in one of the ***boat magazines concerning this motor for marine application. October Issue page 110 "Beast in a box." Maybe there is some info for you there.

cdog
11-19-2004, 05:04 PM
I did my own engine and let me tell you it's pretty complicated. You can get some deals on these parts but most likely with no warranty. I did a efi 540 that's built for a procharger. After building my engine and dyno'd it I still had to make a wiring harness to mimmick the mercruiser harness and so on. The crate engine is a carb so it's less complicated but you'll need DRY exhaust. Wich will cause problems with the noise factor. I'd save your money and get a 496 with the XR drive and bolt on a procharger.

RUCAV
11-19-2004, 05:43 PM
what is the question.you have a 572 and want to put it in the boat.i have a 28ft deckboat with a teague 620 and maye can answer a few questions for you.i believe the teague 620 with drive ready to go is around 45k.
I initially was thinking it would be way cheaper than getting robbed by Mercruiser with their stranglehold on the competition. Money is a factor.
Thanks

RUCAV
11-19-2004, 09:51 PM
There was a recent article in one of the ***boat magazines concerning this motor for marine application. October Issue page 110 "Beast in a box." Maybe there is some info for you there.
I read that and its what got me fired up about this. But thanks for the info anyway.

PHOTOGLOU
11-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Tell darrin your buying the 42 fountain

C-2
11-19-2004, 10:03 PM
And I know somebody with a Teague Platinum for $5K. The drive was sold and therefore is considered "used", but has never been installed on a boat.

BADBLOWN572
11-19-2004, 10:20 PM
I think that after reading his e-mail, he is shooting you pretty straight and the deal sounds good. The only thing that I would be questioning would be the Teague Plainum Drive. Personally, I would just stick to a regualr XR. Should hold the power with no problem as long as you do not abuse the drive. Also, find out if the gimbal he is talking about using is the Heavy Duty gimbal. If it is, you will need to pop for a Blue Water indicator and will be unable to use a trim gauge. HP gimbal does not mean much. The heavy duty gimbal has stronger pivot pins, but that is the only difference between the HD and standard gimbal.
The only thing that I know of that people are doing to the engines to marinize them over the standard is either changing out the cams to prevent water reversion or use double jacketed dry exhaust above the water line to make sure that it will not suck any water. With the existing cams, they can suck up water and hydrolock the motor if the exhaust is under the water.
The deal that he is giving you on the 525 is also a killer deal. It already has all of the goodies on it and will be a turn key package that is under warranty. If you decide to go faster, you can always bolt on a Whipple charger and it will run like a bat out of hell. Personally, I like this idea. Trust me, once you start hurting things and your weekend is over due to broken parts, you start to question your choice of motor packages. Both will be good packages, but the Merc 525 is a killer package that is always turn key and no need to wrench on it EVER. I really have very little experience on the new crate motors, but from what I understand they are a turn key, no mess package.
Just out of curiousity, is the $ that you stated an upgrade price or total price?

Infomaniac
11-19-2004, 11:11 PM
The Merc 525 sounds like a good deal to me if it comes with a drive, transom hardware etc. I could supply the EFI engine for 17,800.00 and add the cost of the acessories and mounts. Not including the transom hardware and drive.
The 572 crate engine does not have a drive, transom hardware, exhaust, accessories including PS cooler, PS lines, oil cooler, alternator, sea water pump and all the remaining cooling system components, water seperator, flame arrestor, bell housing, coupler, mounts, wiring harness, hoses, brackets pulleys etc.
Those items add 5,500.00 to my engine packages. And a boat mfg would charge at least a small rigging charge to install it. The Merc stuff is drop in connect to their boat's wiring harness easy.
On the other hand I could save you 3K on the GM 572 and marine components. Which would put the cost the same. :idea:

al cole'holic
11-19-2004, 11:12 PM
...try talkin to someone at Dana boats, they seem to like to use GM motors in their boats for some reason.

RUCAV
11-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Here is the latest email
Rick, The "Marine Kit" are all additional parts needed to install engine into boat. I'll list them in groups according to what funtion they perform.
Oil System and Pan:
HP6 Mount & Filter
Oil Filter Adapter
10 Qt Gen V Pan
Pan Gasket
Power Steering System:
Powersteering pump
Spacer
10mm Nut
Powersteering Cooler
Long 2" P/S Bracket
P/S Pump Pulley
P/S Adjust Bracket
P/S Flange
P/S Hose Gen VI
Alt / PS Bracket
P/S Belt
Electrical System:
125 Amp Alternator w/ Harness
Belt
Alternator Adjust Brace
Alternator Pulley
50A Fuse Bracket
Insulator
Circuit Breaker
Solenoid
Hyd Pump Fuse BV/ALPH
Wire Harness 454/502
Plug Bracket
Starter
Water Temp Sender
Oil Temp Sender
Oil Press Sender
Temp Warning Sensor
Oil Pressure Warning Switch
Harness Plate Kit
Insulator
Motor Mount System:
Motor Mounts
Flywheel
Flywheel Bolts
Cooling/ Water System:
HD Waterpump Assembly
Water Pump Pulley Gen V
Crankshaft Pulley
Seapump Bracket
Offshore Water Pickup
Belt
Exhaust System:
CMI E-Top Platinum Headers
The Total $ for the above parts list is $6200.00
The motor can not be install without these and none of them comes with the engine.
Drive/ Gimbal
Teague Platinum Series Drive $9677.00
Mercury/Teague HP Gimbal $4200.00
The Gimbal is the part of the drive that is attached directly to the transom of the boat and the drive couples up to it.
Also is the tilt mechanism.
Anyway when you add it all up $13000.00
total:$33077.00

BADBLOWN572
11-20-2004, 11:02 AM
He is definitely telling you what you need. Everything that I see is accurate. If you are going to go with this package, I would get the price locked down. I am not sure about what steering system you are going with, but I am seeing a couple of parts that are not included. I.E. Brazil valve for cable steering. That bolts directly to the gimbal and it is not a cheap price. Make sure that he locks the price down "installed with all hardware necessary." You would be amazed how often you forget something. Don't let them lock you into a price and then still add something later for more $.
What package are you leaning towards? What steering are you going with?