PDA

View Full Version : What will I need...?

Heatseeker
11-19-2004, 08:06 PM
I spent the day pulling the engine, getting set up for winter projects.
The empty feeling :supp: :
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3663empty.jpg
The first order of business is to remove the turning fin in front of the intake. You can see the mounting plate in the front of the bilge area.
What's it gonna take to get it out?
What will I use to patch up the bolt holes and the slot left behind? Fiberglass cloth? Matting? Some kind of filler? I want to do this right ONE TIME.
Any suggestions appreciated!

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 08:13 PM
???? is Why ????
Jim

Heatseeker
11-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Because the boat tends to get a little squirrelly when I run it WFO.
Also, I was advised by Duane that it's probably causing big drag and in my application, not neccesary. Jack told Cyclone the same thing when he was setting up his boat too.
Those are reasons enough for me.

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 08:34 PM
OK I have always thought those turn fins looked cool.
Jim
But if Jack says pull it by all means pull it.

sanger rat
11-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Is your loader mounted with nuts and bolts?

Heatseeker
11-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Is your loader mounted with nuts and bolts?
Yes. 5/16" flathead allens w/stainless nylock nuts.

sanger rat
11-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Mine just has screws that don't go all the way through. I'm going to drill them out now.

BrendellaJet
11-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Use mat to close those holes. I bet 6-8 oz's would do the trick.
Thats from the underside. Some cabasil(sp?) will fill from the inside...

cyclone
11-20-2004, 10:34 AM
???? is Why ????
Jim
removing fin from my hull helped out quite a bit with loading the pump. The fin was disturbing the flow of water to the intake when i ran the boat wide open. After removing the fin, my intake pressure readings stabilized and the boat ran much better.

Heatseeker
11-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Well the fins out. I spent 3 1/2 hours getting the boat and trailer high enough to get under and wrestling the fin loose, but it's out. What a bitch!
So I should cloth it from underneath? What about when I sand the bottom smooth? Since what I have to patch is a long slot(and four 3/4" holes), that wouldn't leave much material attaching the patch to the hull afterward. Or should I remove some material from around the slot first, making the patch area thicker and larger?
Here's a pic of the bottom. The bolt holes were filled with what looks like bondo:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/99bottom.jpg
The inside has alot of filler where the fin sat. The whole radiused area in the pic is filler. You can see where I chipped into it to see how thick it was. Should I remove all of it and re-fill it?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/99inside.jpg
Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't want to screw this up! This hasn't been much fun and I'm dreading doing the bottom portion already! I don't want to have to do it again.
Sorry for the pic sizes :hammerhea .
Thanks.

1HOTGMCJET
11-20-2004, 02:53 PM
John, just a suggestion - I think I'd grind a taper on BOTH inside and outside, getting thinner toward the slot where the blade was, since it seems that's where you would want the most material (at the keel) - start with cloth/roving or biax, then build with mat, then blend outward on inside and out (might even want to play with an "intake bubble" like has been mentioned before)? GOOD LUCK and keep the pics coming - REAL interesting stuff!!

Heatseeker
11-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Geez, this sounds like alot of work :( . I was hoping someone would say "duct tape the bottom and pour it full of resin!" Dammit man!
Thanks for the heads up hotgmc.

Ol Yeller
11-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Geez, this sounds like alot of work :( . I was hoping someone would say "duct tape the bottom and pour it full of resin!" Dammit man!
Okay, duct tape and fill it up with Marine Tex. Good stuff!
http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20PAGE_files/All%20MarineTex%20Putty/marinetex%20prod%20info.htm

1HOTGMCJET
11-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Awww c'mon, John - you know I NEVER do stuff the easy way......please see the signature..........................LOL