PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereo Question

Hallett19
11-20-2004, 09:49 AM
I have a 97 Explorer and it has the JBL upgraded stereo with amplifier and subwoofer. Well at idle, I can hear a ticking sound through the speakers that ticks along with the idle speed and increases as the revs of the motor do. Why in God's good name does it do that, and what can I do to stop that ? :confused: Oh, and the peanut gallery need not respond :D Thanks for any help !

Havasu Hangin'
11-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Am I the peanut gallery?
If I'm not, the ticking sound is usually an ignition wire noise being picked up.

Mrs.HLB
11-20-2004, 10:01 AM
They aren't called Exploders for nothing!! J/k :hammerhea Just play the music louder that should help. Actually I have no idea.

Hallett19
11-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Yes HH, you have had your stints in the peaunut gallery :wink:
It has stock ignition wires, I dont know if they are noise suppression, they are just motorcraft plugs, I dont even know what noise suppression wires are, but they sound like they would fix something like this. It even makes my little portable TV tick with the speed of the motor.
And Mrs HLB, I already play my stereo loud to avoid the sound. Actually, above about 3k rpms, I cant hear it anymore really, probably because the ticking is so close together...... why me ??? :confused:

HCS
11-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Try a noise suppressor. You can pick one up just about at any parts store. Or better yet Stereo shop.

Hallett19
11-20-2004, 10:21 AM
where do they attatch onto the truck ?

HCS
11-20-2004, 10:28 AM
There's several different types. I think I would go with a specialty stereo installer to make sure you get the best set up. Usually there inline with the coils or plug wires. I think there's also some that hook to the power wire to the stereo. It zaps the static noise.

RP1
11-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I believe they go between the speaker and wire... check with a local stereo shop. They're cheap and should do the trick from what I've been told.

Havasu Hangin'
11-20-2004, 10:54 AM
There are really only four types of noise suppressors:
Ground Loop Isolator- This is installed inline with the RCAs, and stops the "whining" that the alternator induces.
Source filter- essencially tries to take any noise out of the power supply wire.
Antenna filter- attemps to take noise out that is picked up by the AM/FM antenna.
Alternator noise filter- Stops static induced in to the power supply by the alternator.
I'd say 90% of all noise can be fixed without filters (install). Most shops will install filters and treat the symptoms, rather than the source. For example, if they ran the wrong wires to close to your HEI, then it will pick up noise. Instead of taking the time to re-route the wires, they throw a $15 filter on.
Did your noise just start up, or has it always been there?

Hallett19
11-20-2004, 11:49 AM
what I dont understand is that this is a factory stereo and its doing this to me. I had a mustang with a full aftermarket stereo that whined with the speed of the motor and I had a filter to fix that, but this is a stock system. I am going to change the plugs and wires soon, I hope its just a bad wire letting some ignition out, the wires are pretty old.... :idea:

ROZ
11-20-2004, 11:55 AM
The bumper.

Havasu Hangin'
11-20-2004, 12:00 PM
I am going to change the plugs and wires soon, I hope its just a bad wire letting some ignition out, the wires are pretty old.... :idea:
If it just started...it could be something as simple as a cracked or loose plug wire. The spark jumping the gap will be picked up by the stereo.

Hallett19
11-20-2004, 12:08 PM
yeah, I just recently heard it. Could that also be making the car miss or run wierd ?

wildbillg
11-20-2004, 12:10 PM
yeah, I just recently heard it. Could that also be making the car miss or run wierd ?
WELLLLLL
DUHHHHH
THE LIGHTS JUST TURNED ON??

ROZ
11-20-2004, 12:14 PM
With all of the motor related posts you made over the past, I can't believe you just posted that... You messin' wid us? :D

Cheap Thrills
11-20-2004, 12:23 PM
I agree with the common consensus it definately sounds like an ignition wire . I would check all the connections and make sure they are all tight. also when it gets dark look under the hood while the engine is running and see if any wires are arcing off .
as far as a noise supressor goes if you havent needed one until now you shouldnt need one if everything is up to par .
C.T. :wink:

HCS
11-20-2004, 12:30 PM
It's like the customer that brings his car in because the headlights don't work. Then when he picks up his car he complains about the brakes not being right. :hammer2:

Tom Brown
11-20-2004, 03:06 PM
I dont even know what noise suppression wires are, but they sound like they would fix something like this.
If you're getting noise through the stock sound system, something is wrong with the ignition. I would start with the obvious... check the plug wires and the plugs. If someone has substituted a non-resistor plug where a resistor plug is specified, you will get noise.
- Tom

Tom Brown
11-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Oh yes... you're a lover... not a mechanic.

Jbb
11-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Oh yes... you're a lover... not a mechanic.
Funny Tom ...when I asked about the same problem...you said it was in the superturboejaculator system.... :confused:

Tom Brown
11-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Nothing cleans like a white tornado.

Hallett19
11-20-2004, 11:54 PM
GREEN SQUARES FOR EVERYONE !!!
Thanks for the help guys, you all rock !! :cool:

upsman105
11-21-2004, 10:21 AM
you should just need a filter in the power wire to the radio, that is usually the problem, Radio Shack or any Stereo store.

Sane Asylum
11-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Check the muffler bearings........Also, 97 Explorers are notorious for making that sound when the Kanuten valve fails.....Take it to the dealer and have em' checked.....
good luck......
Here's what I've found before.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2076muffler_bearings.jpg