PDA

View Full Version : Assembly Lube?

Taylorman
11-22-2004, 07:58 AM
When should you changed the oil in a motor after a rebuild to get all them assembly lube out of the oil and put fresh oil in?

11-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Right after the cam is broke in. Change oil/filter and run for another 2-3 hrs and change again. Oil is cheap, bearings, pistons ect are not.

GofastRacer
11-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Here's what I do, after break in I dump the oil and cut the filter open, if it's clean I put a fresh batch of oil in and a filter and run the shit out of it for a weekend, then dump the oil and cut the filter open again, if it's clean I got a good motor, put new oil and filter and go have fun!....
PS: Use a good filter!...

Norseman
11-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Here's what I do, after break in I dump the oil and cut the filter open, if it's clean I put a fresh batch of oil in and a filter and run the shit out of it for a weekend, then dump the oil and cut the filter open again, if it's clean I got a good motor, put new oil and filter and go have fun!....
PS: Use a good filter!...
And good oil!!

GofastRacer
11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
And good oil!!
What is good and bad oil????????....Her we go again!.. :eek: :D

396_Z
11-22-2004, 08:21 PM
No shit this is a road often traveled around here.
IIRC from the last debate, for straight dino juice Delo was the heavy favorite. I don't seem to recall a winner in the synthetic catagory.
FWIW Penzoil came in dead last, right after no oil at all.

steelcomp
11-22-2004, 09:34 PM
No shit this is a road often traveled around here.
IIRC from the last debate, for straight dino juice Delo was the heavy favorite. I don't seem to recall a winner in the synthetic catagory.
FWIW Penzoil came in dead last, right after no oil at all.
Penzoil...Pure American crude wax. :confused: :hammer2:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Penzoil...Pure American crude wax. :confused: :hammer2:
AMEN BROTHA

GofastRacer
11-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Damn, I figured this thread would have 4 pages by now, guess everyone is tired of the oil debate!.. :argue: I kinda get a kick out of it myself!.. :D

Fiat48
11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Need an old dog to kick? I use Penzoil racing oil. And so do a lot of alcohol racers.

steelcomp
11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Need an old dog to kick? I use Penzoil racing oil. And so do a lot of alcohol racers.
Is it the parafin that resists breaking down from the alcohol? I've heard a lot of alky guys running it...but not a one that's running gas.

Fiat48
11-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Hell if I know. But many of the top teams still use it for alcohol and fuel deals. I know of nobody using it on gas either. I use Valvoline for all the gas motors. But the Penz doesn't seperate in alcohol. It is different from the regular Penzoil and is rather hard to find. But I have had no direct lubrication problems with it so I continue to use it.

LakesOnly
11-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Fiat you see any guys out there in alcohol classes with a block heater...to evap the fuel from the crankcase between race weekends?
LO
p.s :sleeping: Oil...I'm so burnt out on the this oil/that oil deal... :sleeping:

Fiat48
11-23-2004, 10:23 PM
No but I know many guys who drain their oil into a bucket and and then covering the bucket with panty hose (as a filter/screen). Letting the alcohol evaporate out and reusing the oil. Lot of guys running synthetics been doing this.
But the block heater deal sounds interesting. Oil pan heater would do the same thing.

steelcomp
11-24-2004, 06:25 AM
No but I know many guys who drain their oil into a bucket and and then covering the bucket with panty hose (as a filter/screen). Letting the alcohol evaporate out and reusing the oil. Lot of guys running synthetics been doing this.
But the block heater deal sounds interesting. Oil pan heater would do the same thing.
Don't forget alcohol is hygroscopic...it absorbs moisture, and as it evaporates through your motor there could be condensation. Run-to-run in a weekend of dragracing shouldn't be a problem, but I thought of this as I was picturing someone doing it at the end of a weekend and setting things aside for a week or so.
Just a thought.

LakesOnly
11-24-2004, 08:19 AM
The drag racer buddy sponsoring my injection system suggested I buy a clean 55 gallon drum and just dump my used oil changes there for the season. And next season it will be ready to go use it again...so I'm familiar with your idea using the bucket and panty hose. (Sounds kinky...bucket and panty hose. :D )
The block heater idea comes from a guy with a hydro that swears by it...just plug it in overnight (like you live in the mid-west) and you're good to go the next day...
Worthwhile consideration about the moisture; I imagine not too much will accumulate in the brief period between the passes and then re-heating...whatever's left on the crankcase walls etc. might evap as the alcohol-burning engine is warmed up for forever, trying to get the damn engine to temp.... ;)
LO

11-24-2004, 09:24 AM
You can boil the water/alcohol out of the oil, just place the pan on the burner and set on low or med. I left a 15 gal. drum of gear oil out in the rain once and it leaked about a gallon of water into the drum past the hand pump. I put it on the gas BBQ and set on med for about 2 hours. Boiled the water out no muss- no fuss. Don't do this on the wife's stove...it'll stink up the whole house and ya won't get laid for a month :(

LakesOnly
11-24-2004, 09:33 AM
You can boil the water/alcohol out of the oil, just place the pan on the burner and set on low or med...I put it on the gas BBQ and set on med for about 2 hours.
Didja deep-fry any food in it while you were BBQ-ing, 058? :D
But seriously...kinda supports the block heater/pan heater approach...
LO

LHC30Victory
11-24-2004, 10:00 AM
OK, Ok, Ok, here is THE word on Oil (and filters if you search for that thread):
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83930&highlight=mobil+oil
This guy has no life but oil it seems. A ton of info, some you may never need or want to know, but its there.
MOBIL 1 Oil and Filters ROCK :lightsabe

Fiat48
11-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Lakes:
Blown Alcohol warmup. Fire the motor then close down the fuel shutoff till the engine starts running smoothly and barely cycling. Warms them up rather quickly but you must open the fuel shutoff before playing with the throttle. The biggest problem alcohol guys have is they are left field on the tune up....way rich. They drown the motor with fuel on the low end and take it all away with high speeds. Makes for the infamous yellow oil. I probably have 20 passes plus cruising around and my oil looks like it came out of the bottle.

Blown 472
11-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Lakes:
Blown Alcohol warmup. Fire the motor then close down the fuel shutoff till the engine starts running smoothly and barely cycling. Warms them up rather quickly but you must open the fuel shutoff before playing with the throttle. The biggest problem alcohol guys have is they are left field on the tune up....way rich. They drown the motor with fuel on the low end and take it all away with high speeds. Makes for the infamous yellow oil. I probably have 20 passes plus cruising around and my oil looks like it came out of the bottle.
Speaking of warm up, do you have to run a radiator with a alky deal? or can you just fill the motor and run it then drain the water?

Fiat48
11-24-2004, 03:06 PM
1/4 mile quicky no water needed. But if you run rounds close together I would run water and a radiator.

Blown 472
11-24-2004, 03:32 PM
1/4 mile quicky no water needed. But if you run rounds close together I would run water and a radiator.
Rounds get close together towards the end of the night. Thanks Fiat.
Are alky motors sensative to quench like gas motors?

Unforgiven
11-24-2004, 04:19 PM
we used peenzoil in alcohol cause they sponsored us.....besides we dump the oil after every pass....my own I used Vavoline Racing Oil, now we use LUCAS...
but I wouldn't run Penz in my personal car........

Unforgiven
11-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Lakes:
Alcohol guys in left field??? what park do you play in??? damm I don't remember our boats running like that....but then again our boats run over 200 (TAH) except for the alcohol flat I wrench.......150-160 range

LakesOnly
11-25-2004, 02:36 PM
... do you have to run a radiator with a alky deal? or can you just fill the motor and run it then drain the water?
Charles, you talking asphalt? In part-answer to your queston, the billet hemi head BBF had no cooling; solid aluminum heads and C8VE block Hard-Blok'd to the brim. 1/4 mile, no problems.
LO

Squirtin Thunder
11-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Have have you heard anything about Aroyo or something like that engineering ??? They do 4 valve heads
Jim
Happy Thanksgiving !!

LakesOnly
11-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Have have you heard anything about Aroyo or something like that engineering ??? They do 4 valve heads
Jim
Happy Thanksgiving !!
20 years ago, Arao Engineering's shop used to be located directly across the parking lot from my partner's shop. They were into Porsche's at the time...and their 32-valve rocker shaft design looks suspiciously similar to the Porsches...
Their 32-valve V8 heads are impressive to say the least, but then why aren't more people running them, aside from price? Rules thing, maybe?
I inquired about the 385 series Ford head and I am under the impression that they exist only on paper. His reply was basically something along the lines of, "We will make you a pair for $12,000."
They advertise a drag race tube chassis Camaro doing a 6.86 ET with their 32-valve heads; our 2-valve hemi heads recorded a best of 6.70. :D
LO