PDA

View Full Version : SPEEDING TICKET?????

mach1 454
01-29-2002, 08:19 PM
i was at castaice a couple of weekends ago and i got a speeding ticket. me and a Hallet were racing each other at about 60-65mph and then the lifeguard pulled us both over at the docks. the other guy got a warning and i got a ticket!!!!!! why didnt he get a ticket if we were both speeding over the speed limit of 35mph!!!??? she told me that i got the ticket because i was ahead of the Hallet. im going to court to fight it!! how much are speeding tickets out on the water?? im just 17 years old without a job and a mad dad. thanx
mach1 454

Hallett19
01-29-2002, 08:25 PM
I am glad I wasnt the Hallett you were racing because I would have been winning and I would have go the ticket, tough luck kid.

spectras only
01-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Mach1 ,the speed limit is 35 max and 5 or 15 some part of that lake.You don't have a chance to fight it, especially after the tragic accident that claimed 4 lives.You can argue about the other guy's luck at court,but I would try to be polite,that may yield you a reduced fine.

HBjet
01-29-2002, 08:33 PM
I believe the fines are $20 fo every mile over the limit. So if you were going 65, and the speed limit is 35, the ticket amount should be 600 bucks. But hey, at least you won right? Don't worry, besides, ask you Pop if he has ever taken that boat over 35mph.
HBjet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

flat broke
01-29-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by spectras only:
Mach1 ,the speed limit is 35 max and 5 or 15 some part of that lake.You don't have a chance to fight it, especially after the tragic accident that claimed 4 lives.You can argue about the other guy's luck at court,but I would try to be polite,that may yield you a reduced fine.
Sorry to tell you Mach1, but you'd be wasting your time to go to court. Unless you feel that a representative from the issuing authority won't be there to testify
against you. If you try and use the "but the other guy didn't get a ticket" most judges will give you the portion of the vehicle code or civil statute that you broke and point out that nowhere in the text does it mention the other guy. I tried this once when I got pulled over on the 101 for doing 80 in my beat down looking 65 Chevelle. There were a couple cars(newer and nicer) that were moving faster, but I got pulled over. I brought it up in court and got chewed by the judge. The only way you're getting out of the ticket is if a representative from the issuing authority is not present. After 1/11, I'd say your chances of that happening are slim to none.
Sorry bud,
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

flattie
01-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Do the lifeguards have radar? if not I think its crazy that someone can call the shots from land. and when do lifeguards give tickets.
I had a dock boy at a marina tell me I was going to get a ticket if I launch my boat there any more because at idle I leave a little ripple in the water. So I make a point of it to make as much noise as possible and as early as possible,anywhere near the marina.
I have a few choice words for the DNR & marine police. there not lets dance!

spectras only
01-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Flattie, we don't even know which area Mach 1 was caught ! When you boat anywhere you have to be aware of the regulations http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif.If you go 28 MPH [minimum to stay on plane with a jet ,18-20 MPH with a V-drive ]in a no wake zone they nail you regardless of the max speed limits of the entire lake.

mach1 454
01-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by flattie:
Do the lifeguards have radar? if not I think its crazy that someone can call the shots from land. and when do lifeguards give tickets.
I had a dock boy at a marina tell me I was going to get a ticket if I launch my boat there any more because at idle I leave a little ripple in the water. So I make a point of it to make as much noise as possible and as early as possible,anywhere near the marina.
I have a few choice words for the DNR & marine police. there not lets dance!
no the lifeguards dont have radars or atleast didnt mark on the ticket my speed. i was about a 1/4 mile away when they saw me so they couldnt of got me on radar. plus on the ticket it says going over speed limit of 35 thats all it says. but at least i won the hallet with my squirt gun boat!!! lol
mach1 454

Chestah Cheetah
01-29-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mach1 454:
why didnt he get a ticket if we were both speeding over the speed limit of 35mph!!!???
Years ago when I had my Mustang, I raced a buddy with a built Explorer 5.0 - he won, but I got the ticket. Why? I had a sports car and his was a family SUV - it's a no brainer for the cop. I never mentioned him to the cop.

DickDanger
01-29-2002, 09:17 PM
I agree that after 1/11, it may be a bit impossible to get the ticket thrown out, BUT, if you do go to court, they will probably reduce the fine. #1, if the lifeguard gave you the ticket, didnt mark the speed limit on there, and had no radar to PROVE that you were speeding, it MAY be beatable. You need to be careful on the approach that you take with the judge. Tell him that you asked for proof on your speed, and it wasnt provided. GUESSING that someone is speeding, and how fast they are going is very subjective. If it were me, I am pretty sure I could figure out a way to weasel out of it. Good Luck!!! -DD out

LOWRIVER2
01-29-2002, 09:52 PM
Mach 1,
What exactly does the ticket list as THE violation and comments written by the lifeguard? (generally in comments section of the citation/code number as well) and was the person issuing the citation on the water or on shore? (you said pulled over at docks) were they on the dock or in a boat when you were spotted by them?
LowRiver

OneBadScorpion
01-29-2002, 11:51 PM
Having been in the law enforcement profession for nearly 17 years, I'd sure point out that the lifeguard didnt or couldnt verify the MPH. Humans dont come with calibrated eyeballs. Anyhow, if you didnt verbally admit any spped, it will be up to the guard to prove your MPH was over the limit.
85 % of moving violations are dismissed for defective instruments(the written ticket) or not being able to prove the alleged violation. Go to court, represent yourself "Pro se", put the guard on the stand, ask him logical questions, then specifically ask how he measured your speed....if he cant prove your speed other than visual observation, I'd say you could beat it.
Just my 2 cents worth, after all my years as a Deputy in kansas, but I am not familar with the laws within your state. During the summer, we co-op with Kansas Wildlife and parks for boating operations, I've never seen a speed ticket except in no wake zones ever be fined. Unless you can specifically prove "X" mph, its a matter of evidence submission...if he cant submit it, he cant prove it(the lifeguard).

MrHavasuCat
01-30-2002, 04:25 PM
I don't know about life guards, but police officers / Deputy Sheriff's in California are sent to classes that teach them to estimate speeds of a moving vehicle. They are required to pass tests in the class to be certified, and can use this training in court as an expert witness. It is up to the judge, but most tickets are hard to beat. Show up in the chance that the life guard does not, and if he does see if the judge will reduce the fine.

mach1 454
01-30-2002, 08:55 PM
thanx boating bros, for all the help and support.hope i beat the stupid bitch that gave me the ticket in courte!!!!
mach1 454

superdave013
01-31-2002, 10:16 AM
You got lucky on your ticket IMHOP. You could have gotten one like I did years ago at Lake Web. I was doing the same thing but got ticketed for Reckless and Negligent Endangerment. In the notes section it said (racing). I had to stand in front of the judge too. You just might beet it if you ask how he proved your speed. But he might just let the judge know you were racing and He gave you a break on the speed contest one. Let us know how you do.

Wet Dream
02-02-2002, 01:56 PM
I'm sure I missed something, but what happened on 1/11??

pgf127rt
02-02-2002, 04:04 PM
mach 1, I don't know how the court system works in Cal. but here in Texas, it is a Justice of the Peace who handles these matters which occur in their precints, aand I have found out the hard way that they are completely biased in their decisions of right and wrong on matters such as your's, why, because they get a percentage of the ticket to pad their incomes, so if they seem to be one way I think you can figure the rest.

pgf127rt
02-02-2002, 04:04 PM
oop's I double posted and this was the only way to edit.
[This message has been edited by pgf127rt (edited February 02, 2002).]

Bubbledeck2
02-03-2002, 09:15 AM
I'd go to court and fight it too, although I agree that "the other guy didn't get a ticket" defense may not work. I might make mention of the selective enforcement fact though .. you're a kid, the other guy was an adult, which one should know better blah blah.
As for lifeguards although they perform a valuable service my experience with them is that they suck! Years ago (before sit downs even heh)when I used to jet ski at Dana Point the lifeguards were always on our ass for riding to close to the beach. As I recall the law then was 100' away from swimmers and the shoreline. We even measured and marked off spots on the jetty in 50' increments so we'd have a solid visual reference point. They still hassled us, ticketed us, and said out measured points didn't matter, only their visual observations did .. dicks

14HAVASU
02-03-2002, 08:08 PM
TIP OF THE DAY MY FRIEND,,GO TO HAVASU,,THE ONLY TICKET YOU MIGHT GET IS FOR LOOSING TO A HALLET.

riodog
02-04-2002, 02:48 AM
Mach 1 454, as i see it, (and i don't know s__t), there is only 2 situations in which you might prevail,(1 in 100 chance). #1. the person citing you didn't REALLY have the authority to issue citation and was just trying to scare you into slowing down. #2. you can contest the citation (in which case you'll have to post the $2000. (bail, up front). If the citing officer doesn't show up you should get it back. Cuz if the officer does show up you're gonna lose cuz you're a kid, and besides, we all know you're GUILTY as hell! lol, Actually, you should give LOWRIVER all your info cuz he knows people in 'high places' and he could drop a dime on/ er, for you. Aw forget that, he's been a little testy lately and you could wind up pulling weeds on the pistol range, when it's in use. Oh well, don't mind me, it's past my bed time.
Riodog
P.S. all BS aside, you might ask about traffic school, considering your age, and depending upon what the violation was, it could very well go on you MVR.

HAKUNA MATTA
02-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Hey Mach, already been in your shoes bro and I was also a little worried ..when they got us there was 4 of us at castiac over by the dam.. we all extended the court date and plead not guilty..and when the judge saw the citation he stated he had never heard of such a thing ....and threw it out for all of us..anyway good luck..extend that court date and I really doubt that she'll show

77charger
02-06-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 14HAVASU:
TIP OF THE DAY MY FRIEND,,GO TO HAVASU,,THE ONLY TICKET YOU MIGHT GET IS FOR LOOSING TO A HALLET.
yup or het pulled over for being the first one the cop sees after he is done with harrasing someone else.the excuse will be i saw you make a wake(in the 5 zones)or your boat is loud and "have you had any drinks today here blow in this tube".

racingrascal
02-06-2002, 09:00 PM
I don't have time to read all of this thread but I can tell you I got a ticket in Long Beach channel for going over the marked "no wake" zone. (I was on plan) Well I was pissed because some birds flying around my boat. It was 157 dollars.
Andy

Blown Sleek
02-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Check this!!
I got a 55 in a 5 in front of Blue water!!
Fine suspended and it does not go on the DCL.
If I just had a better picture of the Roost!

RiverDave
02-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Mach1, how did this ever turn out?
RD