PDA

View Full Version : South OC low crime...DUH!

nodigg
11-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Just read this article in the Orange County Register and guess what, San Bernardino = high crime :supp: , OC = low crime rate :D . Who woulda' thunk it? :rolleyes:
I know there are a lot of south OC ***boaters here. I guess paying the premiums for real estate here has SOME good things going for it afterall...besides the weather that is.
By GWENDOLYN DRISCOLL
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Orange County has three of the safest cities in America, according to an independent survey that ranks the country's safest and most dangerous cities.
With just one murder in 2003, Mission Viejo ranked fourth on a list of the 25 safest cities with populations of at least 75,000 in the annual City Crime Rankings report by Morgan Quitno Press, a Kansas research and publishing company.
Lake Forest, which ranked 14th in 2002, moved to sixth place, and Irvine, 13th last year, placed 11th.

slink
11-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Don't believe everything your read :mix: Crime stats are very easy to manipulate, especially if no report is taken at all. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

RiverToysJas
11-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Don't believe everything your read :mix: Crime stats are very easy to manipulate, especially if no report is taken at all. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
Yeah, murders go unreported all the time, so cities look better on paper. http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif
RTJas :D

nodigg
11-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Yeah, murders go unreported all the time, so cities look better on paper. http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif
We keep those things quiet down south! :D

Performance 19
11-23-2004, 09:58 AM
What about all the gang activity in San Clemente? Santa Ana? I'd like to see an overall county report. I grew up in Laguna Beach (north) and Fullerton, and am so glad we got out of OC 10 years ago.

slink
11-23-2004, 09:58 AM
There are 7 "part one" crimes which are mandated that all agencies must report to the FBI. These are how these surveys are condcuted. Here's a little law enforcement lesson. Vehicle Burglary is a part one crime. Vehicle Burg consist of using force to enter a vehicle with the intent to commit a theft. So when a patrolman in a certain "safe" city rolls up and see's a broken window on a $60,000 SUV this is probably what you'll hear. "O.K, sir, we'll go ahead and document it so you can report it to your insurance company, here's your vandalism report number". DING, DING, DING vandalism is not a part one crime. that's how it works. Not saying that OC is worst than SB, just dont beleive the all the hype.

Performance 19
11-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Soooo true Slink!!!

TheLurker
11-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Being a proud OC resident for over 30 years I like to see good press but believe what Slink is saying. It is all in the way various crimes are reported (and not just murder).
I have not read the whole article or seen the list but Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley are usually on top and IMHO it is due to the way they report it. I don’t believe it is intentional to skew the statistics but just their criteria for reporting. By the way are those two cities on the list and if so where?

nodigg
11-23-2004, 10:19 AM
What about all the gang activity in San Clemente? Santa Ana? I'd like to see an overall county report. I grew up in Laguna Beach (north) and Fullerton, and am so glad we got out of OC 10 years ago.
I grew up in Santa Ana. Graduated from Santa Ana Valley high school. I am very familiar with the gang problems that exhist(ed). That's one of the reason's we moved to Lake Forest in '83 to raise our family down here. We even have the gang element here but not like is present in low income areas like Santa Ana or Fontucky/San Bernardino. I NEVER believe everything that is printed but let's face it, my point was OF COURSE the South OC is safer, it is newer and has higher education/income levels. (DUH)!

slink
11-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Way to put that OC Dad in his place Slink :)
No problem Tom, anything for a SW brother. BTW, I was talking to Barry the other day, he said the 29 mold is just sitting there empty. Might be a good time to make a smoking deal.

nodigg
11-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Way to put that OC Dad in his place Slink :)
Its only natural. Everyone who moves from OC to elsewhere has to justify their decision to do so. Traffic, Crazy real estate values, not enough crime, not enough smog, too close to the beach, schools too progressive, too many recreation choices...its has to be something. Other wise Beaumont would never have a chance for growth! :D

slink
11-23-2004, 10:33 AM
I grew up in Santa Ana. Graduated from Santa Ana Valley high school. I am very familiar with the gang problems that exhist(ed). That's one of the reason's we moved to Lake Forest in '83 to raise our family down here. We even have the gang element here but not like is present in low income areas like Santa Ana or Fontucky/San Bernardino. I NEVER believe everything that is printed but let's face it, my point was OF COURSE the South OC is safer, it is newer and has higher education/income levels. (DUH)!
My point exactly.............where do you thank these Fockers are doing all their crime? Not in their own piss poor neigborhoods. Last year I had a parolee from the IE rapping you guys down in lake forest, mission viejo, aliso viejo area. This brain surgeon went down to a large well known church down there and got "Reborn" to the point of being baptized. He then started burging all the cars come Sunday morning. This guy was soo good, when we took him down, we found property from 67 victims from south OC, 51 of them didn't even know their stuff was missing and thus didn't file reports. BTW a little side note, it is amazing the stuff you find on digital camera's :) and the look on people's faces when you turn them back over.

THOR
11-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeh, those San Clemente surf gangs are tough. :rolleyes:

THOR
11-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Friggin' elitists mentality.....:)
I resemble that remark.

nodigg
11-23-2004, 10:42 AM
My point exactly.............where do you thank these Fockers are doing all their crime? Not in their own piss poor neigborhoods. Last year I had a parolee from the IE rapping you guys down in lake forest, mission viejo, aliso viejo area. This brain surgeon went down to a large well known church down there and got "Reborn" to the point of being baptized. He then started burging all the cars come Sunday morning. This guy was soo good, when we took him down, we found property from 67 victims from south OC, 51 of them didn't even know their stuff was missing and thus didn't file reports. BTW a little side note, it is amazing the stuff you find on digital camera's :) and the look on people's faces when you turn them back over.
Sounds very familiar! Great reason to clean that memory disc every so often! :2purples: The problem I have with the story is that is NOT, the everyday situation. Just a high profile one. Yes people come into the area to do crimes. Yes, criminals live in the area too. Again, what I said was, LOWER crime rates. Not NO crime.

slink
11-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Just bustin balls Rick.........I wish i could come down there to south OC, but I got this harden criminal in my area I need to keep an eye on. His name is Tom, but his street name is DILLIGAF. Real hard A$$. Guy goes around blowing off court oders while all the time riding with tassels on his HD. Rumor has it he is transporting between the IE and BHC. ;)

OGShocker
11-23-2004, 11:01 AM
We keep those things quiet down south! :D
You OC folks just drop the bodies in San Berdo! :D

nodigg
11-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Just bustin balls Rick.........I wish i could come down there to south OC, but I got this harden criminal in my area I need to keep an eye on. His name is Tom, but his street name is DILLIGAF. Real hard A$$. Guy goes around blowing off court oders while all the time riding with tassels on his HD. Rumor has it he is transporting between the IE and BHC. ;)
No problem Slink. if I had not been ready to take some hits form the IE faction, I would have never posted in the first place. I'm just waitin' for the red chickletts to apperar. I have an office/yard in Fontucky (BAD neighborhood too), so I feel I can trash talk the city once in a while.
That DILLIGAF dude runnin' tassles?? WTF? I don't think so. FRINGE MAYBE! But NEVER tassles! :D

Charley
11-23-2004, 11:37 AM
I know there is good and bad in every city and area of the united states...OC has it's problem areas including places like Santa Ana etc etc..... I just had a crap load of shit ripped off from my yard in Santa Fe Springs (almost OC ;) and i'm sure that Mission Viejo and Irvine have plenty of problems too, but....
To say these crime stats are not valid or accurate is ludicrous .... It's cool that you guys want to be proud of the IE, and i'm sure there are plenty of safe places to live there...but if there was only 1 murder in Mission viejo then there was only 1 murder! that means something to me ... to discount it as an innaccurate statistic is naive.... who is to say the same "lower level" crimes get accuratelt reported in the IE??
I personally live in North orange county and currently have no desire to live in Irvine or a south county city..all of us want to have our families raised in a safe environment .... I don't look at stats personally, I look around my neighborhood, at my local schoolkids walkin down the street and at the local paper.... personally I hate Irvine, I need gas and a place to buy beer conveniently :D

dirty old man
11-23-2004, 11:38 AM
how's crime holding up in my old digs, Little Siagon, thats in OC also

nodigg
11-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Charley, I had a yard in Santa Fe Springs for 5 years. Actually, except for the "inside" crimes of theft against the company, I found it to be reasonably secure. Great police department too. Sorry to hear about your theft.
I'm not touting SOC as the best btw, just relating an article in the Register.
We all have out ups and downs.

Performance 19
11-23-2004, 11:46 AM
There is a hispanic gang problem in San Clemente. My sister has lived there for 16 years and wants to head to SD. Guess you don't remember the kid who was killed with a javelin thru the head some years back, by a hispanic gang. There is a gang problem there, not on the level of Santa Ana. I certainly was not slamming any city, just stating there are problems everywhere. Oh, and I suppose you have no homeless problem either. Right, crime is everywhere, so why the rude, harsh remarks????

THOR
11-23-2004, 11:58 AM
There is a hispanic gang problem in San Clemente. My sister has lived there for 16 years and wants to head to SD. Guess you don't remember the kid who was killed with a javelin thru the head some years back, by a hispanic gang. There is a gang problem there, not on the level of Santa Ana. I certainly was not slamming any city, just stating there are problems everywhere. Oh, and I suppose you have no homeless problem either. Right, crime is everywhere, so why the rude, harsh remarks????
Crime isnt nearly as bad as the IE. Dont fool yourself.

Performance 19
11-23-2004, 12:04 PM
I never said that now did I? Crime is everywhere. And that depends on where in the IE you are, just like OC

ROZ
11-23-2004, 12:09 PM
True dat... I was speaking to the volunteer officers going through some reports at the local substation front desk. I asked him why he was sorting them in to 2 piles and was told that one pile was for the public and media to know about, and the othe pile was hush hush....

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:26 PM
how's crime holding up in my old digs, Little Siagon, thats in OC also
We annexed it to Los Angeles! :cool:

Performance 19
11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
"what about the gang activity in san clemente ?>" - did you just say san clemente and santa ana in the same sentence. i have lived in san clemente since 1974, and i still run my business there. i don't know what stories you may have read about san clemente and the "gang activity", but you seriously have bumped your head if you think this "beach-town" of 42,000 is anything else, but a quiet "beach-town". get your facts straight performance 19, before you slam another city. lets keep it real, crime is everywhere, dont make this a border battle. - keyes
Great, you are right, I am wrong. Again, why the harsh remarks? My sister lives there, but I guess she just makes this stuff up. The OC register has also run articels on the gangs. Hmm, bumped my head, get my facts straight? slam the city? The post wasn't a slam on any city. So CHILL

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Great, you are right, I am wrong. Again, why the harsh remarks? My sister lives there, but I guess she just makes this stuff up. The OC register has also run articels on the gangs. Hmm, bumped my head, get my facts straight? slam the city? The post wasn't a slam on any city. So CHILL
Might be time for some popcorn??

JB in so cal
11-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Might be time for some popcorn??
I'll just watch it from my SAFE distance!

lucky
11-23-2004, 01:46 PM
nor cal is becoming a crime spot also - some one raped my sheep :mix:

Performance 19
11-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Here is some info on SC and OCSD, also the tri-city gang task force. Which was formed due to the increased level of gang activity in Dana Point, San Clemente and SJC. If there are no gangs, why a gang enforcement team? Slamming me and or my comments is your way of having fun? Why the hate?
The Orange County Sheriff's Department provides law enforcement services for the City of San Clemente. 42 sworn and 16 professional staff members operate from the San Clemente station located at 100 Ave. Presidio providing services that include patrol, investigations, traffic enforcement, community support, drug education, parking control, and crime prevention. As always, the Sheriff's Department primary goal is to provide a safe environment for its community members to enjoy San Clemente's many amenities.
Lt. William J. Hunt, an 18-year veteran of the Sheriff's Department, has served as Chief of Police Services since May of 2003. Lt. Hunt has varied experience within the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, including Corrections, Training, Patrol, General Investigations, Directed Enforcement and Narcotics. He is a fourteen year veteran of the SWAT team where he served the last five in the capacity of a supervisor. In addition, he supervised the South County Gang Enforcement team for three years. He most recently served as the Administrative Lieutenant at the Theo Lacy Facility in the City of Orange. As the Chief of Police Services, Lt. Hunt directs police operations that include patrol, traffic and parking enforcement, general investigations, and the Tri-Cities Directed Enforcement Team serving the communities of San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano and Dana Point. Complimenting these services are a host of Support Services provided by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, such as: the Gang Enforcement Team (GET); Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT); Canine units; Crime Prevention; the Reserve Division; Special Investigations Division; Air Support Bureau; Hazardous Devices Squad; Forensic Science Services Division; Mounted Enforcement Team; and, the Regional Narcotic Suppression Program.
Responding to increased levels of gang activity occurring in Dana Point, San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano, those cities formed the Tri-City Gang Task Force. Working closely with the Orange County Probation Department, gang information is shared cohesively. This partnership provides for greater available resources should a significant incident arise.
By the way, I just noticed I was posting under the wrong screen name. If you want to hit me with the red ones, it's MRS CP 19