PDA

View Full Version : ID'ing a Flat

Bob Hostetter
11-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Yesterday I found an older flatbottom that I think I can pick up cheap but theres a problem.
Its setting in a tow yard and nobody knows anything about it. It has no Hull number or ID plate anywhere and there are no AZ or Ca number either. It appears to be a late 60's or early 70's Sanger based on the hull design but I have no way of finding out for sure.
My question, for all you flat bottom experts, is how do you ID a hull without any indentifing information, and how do you register it.

ColeTR1
11-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Take some pictures and post them here. I'm sure someone will know!

Brian Ray
11-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Some older Sangers I believe had the HIN on one of the stringers near the back.....

Bob Hostetter
11-24-2004, 01:37 PM
I will shoot some pictures when I go look at it again next week. And I wil check the rear of the stringers for an ID tag. Thanks for the info....

GofastRacer
11-24-2004, 08:32 PM
A little info here, anything prior to 72 didn't require a VIN so you may not find anything!..

Kim Hanson
11-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Yesterday I found an older flatbottom that I think I can pick up cheap but theres a problem.
Its setting in a tow yard and nobody knows anything about it. It has no Hull number or ID plate anywhere and there are no AZ or Ca number either. It appears to be a late 60's or early 70's Sanger based on the hull design but I have no way of finding out for sure.
My question, for all you flat bottom experts, is how do you ID a hull without any indentifing information, and how do you register it.
Im going through the same thing with the red one in my signature, it sucks bad! :idea: Don't post a picture, unless you are ready to be ridiculed :D .........( . )( . ).......I asked the same thing! :angry2: I just wanted help also........

Sleek-Jet
11-26-2004, 07:38 PM
If it doesn't have a HIN, and you can't produce one, then at least AZ will assign a generic HIN. My 68 Campbell had to have than done to get it's AZ number. It looks like AZZxxxxxxxxx
The worst part is that it's now considered a.... ugh I can't hardly even say it... a Jet/Runabout. :eek:
It's painless, the G&F people go out, inspect the boat, if no HIN is found they do a little paper work and you walk out with a fresh HIN and AZ number.

mouzer
11-26-2004, 09:54 PM
C"mon BOB,Just get it and register as a homebuilt spec. const, :D your talking to a xpert :idea: the trailer get a weight at the local truck stop!and register as homebuilt! :idea: its legal if the boat has no id#s.dmv has all the paperwork there, :idea: get a receipt from the yard.its alot cheaper than back fees :D

DansBlown73Nordic
11-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Im not sure if this will work in any other state, but when I registured my Nordic I had no paperwork at all.I took a tracing of the HIN#. I went to motor vehicle. I told them I had it registured years ago and lost the paperwork. I filled out a form and they did the rest. I was given a temporaray Registration. After a couple months the transferable one showed up.
If I didn't have the Hin# I would have stamped some numbers on a plate and took a tracing. They have no clue what you traced the numbers from. :D
May not be the honest way but it works.... :redface:

LakesOnly
11-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Yesterday I found an older flatbottom...my question...is how do you ID a hull without any indentifing information, and how do you register it.
I registered the Hydro and trailer in CA this year without any records or paperwork whatsoever.
I suspect your concern about vehicle registration comes from the beaurocracy that takes place when trying to get a vehicle into California's DMV registration system after it has fallen off. The towing trailer will certainly fall prey to this hassle (if they have no record on file), but the boat will not. It does not need to be registered for public roadway use and so registration is handled differently by the state. It can be efforltess or it can be endless, depending on the approach you take.
In my case, I bought a drag boat that was never registered for use on public waterways, and trailer that never needed registration because it was used in Oregon (no trailer reg required in the state of Oregon). My first time to the counter, I learned I was in a potentially screwed situation, but I was ultimately able to get pink slips and registration for both...after a little creative maneuvering and another 5-minute visit to the DMV...
If it's California where you intend to get all the registration ironed out, you will need to know precisely what to say to the CHP (trailer VIN verification and/or VIN number assignment) and precisely what to say to the DMV rep (boat reg.) in order to jump through all the hoops and effortlessly register your two new pieces of property; otherwise, you will be sent on a wild good chase trying furnish them will endless paper trails from people you've never met before but will be asked to hassle, etc.
PM me with your number and I will be happy to call and explain how you may walk through all of this legitimately and effortlessly...way too much to write here.
LO

Bobbo541
11-27-2004, 11:14 AM
I have a 69 Hondo for sale that needs tobe put together if for 2000.00 or best offer.I believe my dad has all of the parts.