PDA

View Full Version : credit cards

MsDrmr
11-23-2004, 01:08 PM
why do people decide to purchase someting and use a credit card knowing the $$ is not there instead of just saying "no"

al cole'holic
11-23-2004, 01:11 PM
why do people decide to purchase someting and use a credit card knowing the $$ is not there instead of just saying "no"
It's the American way! :D

AzLakeLizard
11-23-2004, 01:12 PM
or robbing Peter to pay Paul! It drives me nuts! Maybe they think that is won't catch up to them! and THE NEIGHBORS have one! :messedup:

JetBoatRich
11-23-2004, 01:14 PM
That is why I like the ATM/Credit card in one :smile:
But others use Credit Cards for "Impulse Buy's"

Dr. Eagle
11-23-2004, 01:16 PM
That is why I like the ATM/Credit card in one :smile:
But others use Credit Cards for "Impulse Buy's"
I used to be the ultimate impulse buyer, but I have pretty well cured myself of that... :hammer2:

jackpunx
11-23-2004, 01:18 PM
we are such pillars of socioty here..lol.. I use my credit card.. and pay it off and use it some more .. and pay it off.. I love my life..

JetBoatRich
11-23-2004, 01:19 PM
I used to be the ultimate impulse buyer, but I have pretty well cured myself of that... :hammer2:
How did you do that :squiggle: No way you bought everything you ever wanted :Dor think you need at the time :)

SCUBA STEVE
11-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Why do it if you can't afford it? Its Christmas time soon and the guilt about not bieng able to give gifts can be a bitch.
Forensic
Why do you think we moved to AZ, NO FAMILY to buy gifts for over here, Just ME!! :D

Dr. Eagle
11-23-2004, 01:21 PM
How did you do that :squiggle: No way you bought everything you ever wanted :Dor think you need at the time :)
Cured by having to pay off the result of years of impulse buying... I swore I'd never go there again...

jackpunx
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Cured by having to pay off the result of years of impulse buying... I swore I'd never go there again...
Do you stil have your toys?

MsDrmr
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
to be perfectly honest, I am not a pushy sales person, I dont want to be, nor do I use a weakness to get them to buy, I tell them about the program we have, he they seem interested great, if they say "no thank you" I thank them for their time and move on.
I just don't get the ones that say yes and they are excited then give false #'s accts with no money and they act like want to resolve it, but keep up the lies. :mad:

lucky
11-23-2004, 01:31 PM
all i can say is dam boatsor is that women , or booze ?

Essex502
11-23-2004, 01:38 PM
99% of the stuff we buy with a credit card we use American Express. The rewards points add up fast and next year's vacation to Tahiti will be paid for with them and air miles saved on my travels.
Amex requires us to pay the balance at the time we are billed. Sometimes the monthly statement is pretty high but I track all of our purchases via an Excel spreadsheet so I know EXACTLY what the statement will say when it arrives. This method has kept us with ZERO debt except for mortgages. The odd time we are in a retail outlet that doesn't take Amex we use a Mastercard that gets paid in its entirety upon receiving the statement.

Krumbsnatcher
11-23-2004, 01:49 PM
99% of the stuff we buy with a credit card we use American Express. The rewards points add up fast and next year's vacation to Tahiti will be paid for with them and air miles saved on my travels.
Amex requires us to pay the balance at the time we are billed. Sometimes the monthly statement is pretty high but I track all of our purchases via an Excel spreadsheet so I know EXACTLY what the statement will say when it arrives. This method has kept us with ZERO debt except for mortgages. The odd time we are in a retail outlet that doesn't take Amex we use a Mastercard that gets paid in its entirety upon receiving the statement.
Same here except i use visa miles, in comes in handy you can pay all your utilities, cell phone and business expenses and get free miles, i rack up at least 5,000 miles per mo.
good deal, if you manage it right.

Dr. Eagle
11-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Do you stil have your toys?
Most of them...

Performance 19
11-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Frequent flier miles. We go to Europe about every 14 months for free. The bill gets paid in full every month.

MsDrmr
11-23-2004, 01:55 PM
all i can say is dam boatsor is that women , or booze ?
Just add men and you have "all of the above" :devil:

superdave013
11-23-2004, 01:57 PM
I got smart and started accepting credit cards instead of using them! lol sure seems tp pay better. :)

MsDrmr
11-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I got smart and started accepting credit cards instead of using them! lol sure seems tp pay better. :)
hmmm maybe thats where I am goin wrong. :confused:

dimarcobros
11-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Same here, I am a big fan of the reward points you can use for almost anything. That and the fact you have to pay it off every month makes you aware of what you are spending you cash on. Just like paying cash expcet you get points for it. my .02
DMB

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Why do you think we moved to AZ, NO FAMILY to buy gifts for over here, Just ME!! :D
You still owe us a wedding present Steve! Bust out that credit card!!!!
hahahhahahah
Just kidding!!!!

Essex502
11-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Same here, I am a big fan of the reward points you can use for almost anything. That and the fact you have to pay it off every month makes you aware of what you are spending you cash on. Just like paying cash expcet you get points for it. my .02
DMB
The other point I left out is when I pay the bills each week I hit the American Express website and print the details of the outstanding charges and doublecheck them against what I recorded in the spreadsheet. Takes only seconds and prevents surprises...
As someone else said...great if you manage it right!

Captain Dan
11-23-2004, 02:19 PM
In the old days (broke student) I used the cc's to buy food and gas, now I pay them off in full when due, but only because I can.
Since I bought my essentials for living from one time or another, I can see how people can get in trouble - and it happens real fast.
Takes a lot longer to dig out than to get yourself in. One of life's hard lessons.

Essex502
11-23-2004, 02:28 PM
The really sad thing happens when someone refi's their house or takes a second mortgage or bill consolidation loan to pay off the high interest credit cards...that works until their impulses start again and then they are in way deeper than before...before they know it...BK! Sad.

AvengerBabe
11-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Don't even get me started on this... I deal with people everyday that have more credit card accounts than fingers to count 'em with and also have a car payment that is higher than their mortgage!! Then they wonder why I am sending their home to foreclosure.... UGH!

Mardonzi
11-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Love them Frequent Flyer miles,,,, Delta Skymiles card,, paid off at the end of each month with the expense checks,,,,

Steamin' Rice
11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Yep same here except I use a GM card.. No annual fee and 5% credit towards a GM vehicle.. It adds up fast, and the balance is paid off every month so no finance charges..

Misogynist
11-23-2004, 05:05 PM
The really sad thing happens when someone refi's their house or takes a second mortgage or bill consolidation loan to pay off the high interest credit cards...that works until their impulses start again and then they are in way deeper than before...before they know it...BK! Sad.
What is even sadder is when someone does work for a "sophisticated debtor" and gets screwed. Some people have bankruptcy built right into their business plan. I once did work for a guy that was building a huge house in an economically depressed area. He was able to get the property owner to subordinate his interest in the land and promise to not put the second mortgage in place until he had permanent financing. This way according to the county recorder's records... he looked like he owned the land free and clear. This was when mortgage rates were much higher and the property development business was in trouble.. This guy then proceeded to build the house way beyond the specifications.. Got the builder to contract more work than in the original plans. Then when he received his "certificate of occupancy" .. refused to pay people. He knew that it would take at least two years before he would be dragged to court. Anyone that filed a mechanic's lien on his property GOT SUED.... his claim... the work was substandard... before the sh!t hit the fan he had drained the construction loan and payed back taxes ( you can't bk on your taxes )... He never made a single payment on the mortgage... fought the foreclosure and liens... lived in the house for "free" for two years. Then just walked away after filing bankruptcy. He falsefied figures on the appraisal so that he could borrow more money than the house was worth. The guy that owned the property lost his money.. The general contractor got screwed for about 50,000.00..... I got hosed for 11,000.00 AND I WON THE LAWSUIT!.... I've tracked this guy for twenty years... he is now in Mesa Arizona... has another tax lien... and is doing the same thing all over again.... :hammer2:

dicudmore
11-23-2004, 05:26 PM
That is def a big spiral downward :squiggle: