Wicky
04-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Who's bringing their Stoker to BBSP?

Towndrunk
04-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Sick em Wicky!! MOW! :cool:

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Sorry to say I have not followed the BBSP thread so when and where is it?
This is my stoker

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 03:58 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13002

RitcheyRch
04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Nice boat.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13002

Wicky
04-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Sorry to say I have not followed the BBSP thread so when and where is it?
This is my stoker
Lake Havasu..Speed Alley...4/20-4/23

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 05:17 PM
I get the impression by this thread that some are not too fond of stokers?

Wicky
04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
I just want to see how a 20 footer handles in rough water. Thats all.
I already know they're definitely not a drag boat.

whiteworks
04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I just want to see how a 20 footer handles in rough water. Thats all.
I already know they're definitely not a drag boat.
this was in another thread
I was in my 20 ft. Stoker in that weather..... in Thompson Bay there were 2 -3 footer out there ........... The Windsor side had much bigger conditions.. If you don't get excited you can get through it.. Make sure and get weather reports !!!!! The marina or site 6 is much better to launch in with high expected wind conditions.... Know your boat...... My buddy was in a 21 baja and launch at Windsor that day....... He beach it in the channel and waited until later to pull out.. I pulled out 6:00 p.m from the channel and from experience new to go to site 6 thru thompson bay not thru the crazy horse side.. I know my boat ,know what conditions it can handle. Also, I check the weather report that morning and new there was going to have 30 + mph winds... Thompson Bay had 2 footer with some 2 1/2 .. I didn't go 30 mph maybe 20 -30 tops with some slower speeds... It was pretty fun......... And I took my time.......... Again weather report , take your time , no what your boat can do ... Also I would not have gone thru the crazy horse side period... I did it once before an it was tuff... Hope this helps.....

You Te
04-17-2006, 08:21 PM
I get the impression by this thread that some are not too fond of stokers?
I had a Stoker that looked just like yours, it was not a drag boat, it handled the rough stuff ok. Stokers are ok boats.

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 09:05 PM
I have taken my stoker through the large part of Lake Mohave near cottonwood cove and if you have ever been there on a windy day then you know what waves are! With a stoker as is the case with most Mod vp hulls they are either best suited barely on plane or hammer down. If you go W.O.T. Please and I emphasize, pleeassssee, warn your occupants to hang on. I recommend not taking any whiney friends or family who are used to going 30 in a 1976 17 foot glastron, and always have life vests on the little ones and anyone else who needs one. I grew up driving boats and one of my favorites was on a 1987 Sleek Craft 22 foot SST tunnel with an IO that my parents owned and I learned that it is not a good idea to "hammer down" going with the waves because you can nose the boat between the trough and the crest of a wave and eat some serious water if you are sitting shot gun or the drivers seat. Needless to say I learned the hard way so I have not done that in my stoker. I find that the best way to take advantage of the hull design is to head into the wind. I have personally gone through a solid 2 1/2 foot chop and at or near W.O.T. it rides right on top of it.
As far as a drag boat I think with the right driver and setup it would be very competitive. I have heard of HST's doing very well and as some people know that the HST bottom was copied from the stoker 20'. As far as turning gosh, Stokers have to have the crown for their class. If you want to surprize some friends give em a little warning, then turn :rollside: That dern thing turns like it is on rails.
I will say that the Allisons and bullets make for some pretty mean drag boats as do some STV's. I think if Stokers were marketed in the south or southeast people would see alot more serious and competitive setups.

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 09:08 PM
I had a Stoker that looked just like yours, it was not a drag boat, it handled the rough stuff ok. Stokers are ok boats.
How long ago did you sell it?

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 09:25 PM
I was doing about 70 right here in some 6 inch chop with some nice trim making some nifty roost.

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13008

STVBOY
04-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but the STV was in the same class as the stoker in the mod vp class and dominated the class. The stv probably turns just as good or probably better along with the mirage. As far as performance turning or going in a stright line the stv has the stoker beat.
Also is that really 70 with that much positive trim and that much boat in the water? :idea:

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but the STV was in the same class as the stoker in the mod vp class and dominated the class. The stv probably turns just as good or probably better along with the mirage. As far as performance turning or going in a stright line the stv has the stoker beat.
Also is that really 70 with that much positive trim and that much boat in the water? :idea:
On second thought I uploaded the wrong photo. That one I was doing about 50mph My bad!

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 11:18 PM
No bubble bursted, I think to each his own. I just always wanted a stoker since my first ride in one back in 87' and frankly nobody else on the West coast was and is making a performance hull in that length out here except stoker anymore. Sleekcraft and Lavey doesn't make them anymore, baker is defunct and used STV's ,MTR's and HST's are hard to come by on the west coast.
Even though you bag on stokers I will complement stvs, cougars, bullet, allison because they are all great hulls. Anybody who has half a brain to respect true racing hull designs enough to own one I have to give respect to.

STOKER909
04-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Even though you were correct in assuming my speed for that photo was far less than I claimed in error, unless there is alot of chop and wind the boat does not come way out of water because it has fixed position trim tabs. The fact that it has that prevents it from Chine walking like so many of the STV's do that I see from videos that I have downloaded on Scream and Fly.

You Te
04-18-2006, 06:39 AM
How long ago did you sell it?
I sold the boat in 96. I bought a 20 ft. Rapid Craft, it turned as good as the Stoker and handled the rough stuff as well. It was much faster than the Stoker. A Stoker is a good all around family boat, like you said, to each his own.

STV_Keith
04-18-2006, 06:56 AM
The fact that it has that prevents it from Chine walking like so many of the STV's do that I see from videos that I have downloaded on Scream and Fly.
The only two ways for a STV to chine walk is over trim and bad balance. Can you point me to this video of the STV's chine walking?

Towndrunk
04-18-2006, 08:25 AM
STV chine walking? This I gotta see. I was going to stay off this thread til you said that!! :p

whiteworks
04-18-2006, 09:41 AM
you guys are getting off track with your brand name loyaltys. to the best of my knowledge all of the above mentioned boats are high performance and can be pretty fast with the right stuff clamped on the back. we know that quite a few wakkers will show and go all day. but what about the big blocks? will one show? last year I saw a couple big hp stokers and one closed cabin big f---in fast lookin boat. I think that if no big block or small blocks or short blocks or long blocks show this year the name should be change to the wakkers wackin wackers ass slapping party.

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 11:03 AM
haha!
Yeah I will not be making it out this year to the BBSP. My wife is going to a womens retreat this weekend.

Towndrunk
04-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Ya aint going with her are ya? Lets see them stv pics doing the shimmy. I gotta tell ya tho, aint nothing does the shimmy better than my allison. :boxed:

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Ya aint going with her are ya? Lets see them stv pics doing the shimmy. I gotta tell ya tho, aint nothing does the shimmy better than my allison. :boxed:
No, she needs the time away from the kids and I want to honor her in that way.
I have quite a few Stv vids doing some major chining! I will try to relocate those vids on scream and fly if not I will see if I can upload them here (that is of course if hot boat allows that much file size.
BTW, I have an awesome allison drag boat onboard video that I found there too!

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 03:25 PM
stv chining like this one.
http://www.screamandfly.com/home/videos/winter_haven_parker_rabe/parker_rabe.wmv
This one is not as bad but still plenty of rocking side to side.
http://www.screamandfly.com/video/outboard_overkill_1/outboard_overkill.wmv

STVBOY
04-18-2006, 04:09 PM
stv chining like this one.
http://www.screamandfly.com/home/videos/winter_haven_parker_rabe/parker_rabe.wmv
This one is not as bad but still plenty of rocking side to side.
http://www.screamandfly.com/video/outboard_overkill_1/outboard_overkill.wmv
That first video is a mirage not an STV plus he had it way over trimmed for the video thats not a typical run.

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 04:21 PM
That first video is a mirage not an STV plus he had it way over trimmed for the video thats not a typical run.
Yeah, that I could see and I realized that not all of the boats were STV's. That guy was just beggin' to be pitched right out of that boat and skipped across the water. It is probably just mainly bad drivers but unbalanced rigging will definitely make it worse.

DAVEO
04-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Bad ass video. I have a 20.1 stoker w/2.5 fun boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2614100_0960a.jpg

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
nice!! Is that Shasta that you are skippin across there?

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 04:46 PM
here is a nice mirage quartermaster running a big block!!
http://www.screamandfly.com/home/videos_racing/jasper_2003/steve_zuckerman/steve_zuckerman_2003

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 04:46 PM
or should i say running away from?

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.screamandfly.com/home/videos_racing/jasper_2003/steve_zuckerman/steve_zuckerman_2003.wmv
that last one was a bad link, here it is!

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 04:52 PM
oops, wrong video again! arrrgghhh!!
try again.
http://www.screamandfly.com/home/videos/steve_zuckerman/Steve%20Zuckerman%20runs%20a%

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 04:52 PM
oh I give up!!!

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM
OK here we go.
http://www.screamandfly.com/home/videos/steve_zuckerman/Steve%20Zuckerman%20runs%20a%20jet%20boat.wmv

Kim Hanson
04-18-2006, 06:14 PM
I have taken my stoker through the large part of Lake Mohave near cottonwood cove and if you have ever been there on a windy day then you know what waves are! With a stoker as is the case with most Mod vp hulls they are either best suited barely on plane or hammer down. If you go W.O.T. Please and I emphasize, pleeassssee, warn your occupants to hang on. I recommend not taking any whiney friends or family who are used to going 30 in a 1976 17 foot glastron, and always have life vests on the little ones and anyone else who needs one. I grew up driving boats and one of my favorites was on a 1987 Sleek Craft 22 foot SST tunnel with an IO that my parents owned and I learned that it is not a good idea to "hammer down" going with the waves because you can nose the boat between the trough and the crest of a wave and eat some serious water if you are sitting shot gun or the drivers seat. Needless to say I learned the hard way so I have not done that in my stoker. I find that the best way to take advantage of the hull design is to head into the wind. I have personally gone through a solid 2 1/2 foot chop and at or near W.O.T. it rides right on top of it.
As far as a drag boat I think with the right driver and setup it would be very competitive. I have heard of HST's doing very well and as some people know that the HST bottom was copied from the stoker 20'. As far as turning gosh, Stokers have to have the crown for their class. If you want to surprize some friends give em a little warning, then turn :rollside: That dern thing turns like it is on rails.
I will say that the Allisons and bullets make for some pretty mean drag boats as do some STV's. I think if Stokers were marketed in the south or southeast people would see alot more serious and competitive setups.
I have a HST and it turns hard at even 50 mph and she runs hard when pushed abit..........( . )( . )..............Don't need much with a V8 though :p
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3742HPIM0531.JPG

Kim Hanson
04-18-2006, 06:18 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13008
This is at 106 mph..........( . )( . )..........thats a roostertail bra... :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/7272HPIM0474-med.jpg

Kim Hanson
04-18-2006, 06:20 PM
No bubble bursted, I think to each his own. I just always wanted a stoker since my first ride in one back in 87' and frankly nobody else on the West coast was and is making a performance hull in that length out here except stoker anymore. Sleekcraft and Lavey doesn't make them anymore, baker is defunct and used STV's ,MTR's and HST's are hard to come by on the west coast.
Even though you bag on stokers I will complement stvs, cougars, bullet, allison because they are all great hulls. Anybody who has half a brain to respect true racing hull designs enough to own one I have to give respect to.
Try a HST in Canada for hard to come by :p I think I have the only one.........( . )( . )...........

Kim Hanson
04-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Even though you were correct in assuming my speed for that photo was far less than I claimed in error, unless there is alot of chop and wind the boat does not come way out of water because it has fixed position trim tabs. The fact that it has that prevents it from Chine walking like so many of the STV's do that I see from videos that I have downloaded on Scream and Fly.
Are you talking about these things ?........( . )( . )........I thought those were for swimmers to get back in the boat :p :p :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/7272businessend.jpg

Kim Hanson
04-18-2006, 06:30 PM
The first one is doing a WildMan wheely, nothing more.........( . )( . )....... :)

Kim Hanson
04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Second one......( . )( . )........BbbwwwhhHaaAaaaaaaa, Scream and Fly pussy's !

Towndrunk
04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I still don't see an STV chine walking. Cmoncmon show me.

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Are you talking about these things ?........( . )( . )........I thought those were for swimmers to get back in the boat :p :p :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/7272businessend.jpg
Yeah aren't dem trim tab thingys swim steps for the kiddies?

Towndrunk
04-19-2006, 09:23 AM
What have you decided about your motor?

STOKER909
04-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I sent you a message.

Kim Hanson
04-19-2006, 03:05 PM
They sure have a hard time stepping up on those darn things though :p .........( . )( . )..........

jackpunx
04-22-2006, 03:52 PM
\
we were in the top 4 over all and first in our division at the Parker 300 with a stoker.. I didnt see ANY STD's... Hmmmm I wonder why? :p

Tom Brown
04-22-2006, 04:31 PM
My wife is going to a womens retreat this weekend.
You must be talking about the v-drive get together. :idea:

Kim Hanson
04-22-2006, 07:31 PM
You must be talking about the v-drive get together. :idea:
Good one buddy :D :D ..........( . )( . )...........

Wakker
04-23-2006, 12:17 AM
\
we were in the top 4 over all and first in our division at the Parker 300 with a stoker.. I didnt see ANY STD's... Hmmmm I wonder why? :p
You didn't see any STV's because there wasn't a REAL race for them to run in.. :)

Burley1
04-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I can tell you my Stoker does quite well in the rough stuff, last weekend it was pretty blown out on the north end of the island and I could go thru it no problem. Oh BTW I don't have a 20' but my 26 works very well in the snotty stuff.

You Te
04-23-2006, 12:41 PM
I hear a battle ship runs pretty good in the rough stuff.

Tom Brown
04-23-2006, 03:51 PM
My 16' Glastron kicks ass in the rough.... mine.