DESERTS TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING.
CAZ048-050-241200-
SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE-
SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-
200 PM PST TUE NOV 23 2004
...FROST ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM PST TONIGHT UNTIL 8 AM PST
WEDNESDAY..
CLEAR SKIES ALONG WITH A DEVELOPING OFFSHORE FLOW WILL ALLOW
TEMPERATURES TO FALL TO THE LOW TO MID 30S WITH A FEW LOCATIONS INTO THE UPPER 20S FOR FAIRLY SHORT DURATIONS TONIGHT. GROWERS AND OTHER INTERESTED PEOPLE SHOULD BE PREPARED TO TAKE PROTECTIVE MEASURES TONIGHT.
So what "protective measures" do I need to take with my motor?
At the end of the season I ran the motor 'till the jet ran dry, just a few seconds. I not sure that will drain all the water out of the block. I'm thinking of pouring some anti freeze, do I need to?
It's stored outside on a paved area under a carport, the motor is covered.

Havasu Hangin'
11-23-2004, 07:04 PM
20's are pretty cold.
If you wanna be safe, you could put some antifreeze in there and leave a light bulb on under the cover overnight.

Doug H.
11-23-2004, 09:26 PM
I put a heating blanket that you use for a bed and wrap it around the engine.

Mohavekid
11-23-2004, 09:36 PM
20's can F*** your motor for sure. Drain the water out of the motor and exhaust manifolds. The motor should have a petcock low on each side under the exhaust. Open the petcocks and pull one of your water hoses from the thermostat housing to break the vacume and the remaining water should drain out. Refill with 50/50 water anti-freeze for good measure and you should be OK.
A light bulb or other heat source under the cover can help too, if the temp does not go too low for too long.

LakesOnly
11-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Last year I removed the thermostat housing cover plate from my intake and poured in some ethylene glycol. A whole gallon of pure ethylene glycol. This past spring, I dopped the boat into Berryessa at Cappell Cove and fired it up. Man, I didn't think about the water injected headers (or should I say glycol-injected headers :D ).
If any of you know Cappell Cove at Berryessa, the you can appreciate how I fogged out the entire cove from the water surface to the road level, and from the creek to the cove's opening to Spanish Flat resort.
The dirty looks I got...I must be the sole reason they want to close Berryessa...
LO

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Last year I removed the thermostat housing cover plate from my intake and poured in some ethylene glycol. A whole gallon of pure ethylene glycol. This past spring, I dopped the boat into Berryessa at Cappel Cove and fired it up. man, I didn't think about the water injected headers (or should I say glycol-injected headers :D ).
If any of you know Cappel Cove at Berryessa, the you can appreciate how I fogged out the entire cove from the water surface to the road level, and from the creek to the cove's opening to Spanish Flat resort.
The dirty looks I got...I must be the sole reason they want to close Berryessa...
LO
Now thats funny !!!
Jim

berk
11-23-2004, 10:52 PM
sounds like youre the reason alot of us get dirty looks!

BLEWBAYOU1
11-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Last year I removed the thermostat housing cover plate from my intake and poured in some ethylene glycol. A whole gallon of pure ethylene glycol. This past spring, I dopped the boat into Berryessa at Cappel Cove and fired it up. man, I didn't think about the water injected headers (or should I say glycol-injected headers :D ).
If any of you know Cappel Cove at Berryessa, the you can appreciate how I fogged out the entire cove from the water surface to the road level, and from the creek to the cove's opening to Spanish Flat resort.
LO
I launch there at least once aweek being I have a 5th wheel a couple miles up the road at R-Ranch.My wife works there so I can be in the water in 10 minutes. :cool: