PDA

View Full Version : jet versus prop opinion please

fatboy
10-31-2001, 12:24 PM
I am considering purchasing a '89 Hardin Marine 19' with a Berkley pump. I have a friend with a dual motor Marlin that says pumps don't handel and turn well. Please give me feed back! Also anything I should look at before buying any fast boat. This will be my first hot boat so please advise...Mike

rivercrazy
10-31-2001, 12:54 PM
Jets turn very well. If you run in shallow water get the jet. If not get the prop.

DickDanger
10-31-2001, 03:19 PM
As a jet owner, I would say that there are a lot of positives owning a jet. Running in shallow water is a bonus (although watch getting TOO shallow, dont wanna suck anything into the pump), you dont have to worry about destroying a prop if you run aground on a sandbar, rocks, etc. Negatives? Props are more efficient, bottom line. Running the same 2 boats back to back, one with a jet, the other with a prop, the prop will spank a jet everytime. Just my .02. Good luck. -Dick Danger out

RiverDave2
10-31-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by fatboy:
I am considering purchasing a '89 Hardin Marine 19' with a Berkley pump. I have a friend with a dual motor Marlin that says pumps don't handel and turn well. Please give me feed back! Also anything I should look at before buying any fast boat. This will be my first hot boat so please advise...Mike
If it comes down to just the turning aspect of things, Jet's don't turn all that great. However they are considered by most to be more fun to drive!
I prefer driving a prop boat, becuase they turn on a dime with little or no effort and they are more efficient.
However one of the most fun things I've ever done was blaze down the river zig zaggin in Froggy's Jet Ultra. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Slippin N Slidin and with that foot throttle, just blippin the throttle and feelin the boat launch out of a turn was pretty cool. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
RD

spectras only
10-31-2001, 04:56 PM
I don't know about you guys telling a prop handles better than a jet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif ,I had sterndrive as well as still have a V-drive besides my jet,but I outmaneuvre any sterndrive boat with my jet.The V-drive is the worst in handling [especially at idle speeds and rotational torque effect IN REVERSE ].Maybe I had my jet too long and comes second nature how to operate it.All I need is 1 foot front and back to turn around a 180 degrees,nuff said http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited October 31, 2001).]

pgf127rt
10-31-2001, 05:26 PM
Spectra, I agree with you my 20' Gastron Carlson will do a 180 in the length of the boat and it will turn as good as most prop boats except a roundy racer flat, it has a rudder and if you don't forget to gas it' it will turn effortlessly, most new drivers of jets forget that when you turn a jet you cannot eliminate the thrust or it will slide straight at what you want to miss, and I am a flat driver.

572Daytona
10-31-2001, 05:26 PM
The type of hull has a lot to do with turning as well. My v-hull jet turns a lot better than my picklefork tunnel I have to agree with spectras though, I have 2 jets, an outboard and a sterndrive and I prefer the handling on the jet. There is no steering torque and no chance of prop ventilation. I have never driven a direct drive or a stern drive so I can't comment on the performance of those. There is a bit a learning curve to driving jets at low speed but once learned it is a piece of cake. I definitely wouldn't make turning the deciding factor as to whether or not to get the jet. What type of boat is your friends, I/O, Outboard? I've heard of Marlin boats before but the ones I've seen are single engine jets.

1quickjet
10-31-2001, 05:45 PM
Gotta agree with RD2. Like anything, they have their pro's and con's, but you just can't beat the "fun factor." Point and squirt has never been so much much fun. Er, well, you know what I mean. In my opinion, My buddy's 98mph prop powered Hallett, is not nearly as much fun as a 60mph jet. Again, just my opinion. Also, I don't like to chop up my drunk friends.

77charger
10-31-2001, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by DickDanger:
[B Running in shallow water is a bonus (although watch getting TOO shallow, dont wanna suck anything into the pump), you dont have to worry about destroying a prop if you run aground on a sandbar, rocks, etc. Negatives ].
I'll have to show you my job i did when i ACCIDENTLY ran over shallow water.I DESTROYED my pump impeller and shaft.ask rt jas about it he saw it when i got home.the bad part was that i just had the impeller reworked and cot to an ab-b+ and rebuilt the pump at mpdnoe it is all worthless.BTW thanks guys for recomending mpd he did a great job and the price was goo too will definitely be going back.

Bubbledeck2
10-31-2001, 06:28 PM
I can't speak for all jets, but mine turns pretty darn hard. I was screwing around one day, cranked the wheel, and threw my back seat passenger from one side of the boat to the other. Had it been a max effort turn I think she would have gone over the side. She will tell you that my jet turns!

spectras only
10-31-2001, 06:34 PM
Fatboy,whatever propulsion you choose ,you get what you like best.It's difficult to find a boat that meets all your criteria.If you don't like one system,try another later.If you chose a jet boat ,look for one that has a constant deadrise 3/4 hull length,17 degrees or less.12 degrees is ideal for jets.You'll find spectras ,howards,eliminators,hondos,schiadas....etc with similarly contoured bottoms[there was a lot of splashing around the 70's and 80's http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif].You can purchase Glastrons a bit cheaper and they're good handling boats as well.Sterndrives became more popular,because of the installation procedures are simpler than a
v-drive or straight inboard setup.If you decided on a jet setup,try to find one with a Berkeley JC or JG bowl ,that has the Eliminator transom adapter.This adapter allows the jet to be mounted farther to the stern to gain interior room and have the intake to the best location to achieve a little better performance.You see this adapter very seldom on boats ,yet it was available in the hayday's of jetboats.

DickDanger
10-31-2001, 07:03 PM
The only thing that I would add is that jets DO take a bit of learning to get used to a low speeds. Always remember: no water flowing thru jet = no turning. Now, if those lake lice guys could figure that out before they high side onto the dock , they would have it made. -Dick Danger out

kceballes
10-31-2001, 09:21 PM
well My first jet was a beat up Berk JC and it would still keep up with newer jets and props. A jet gives your boat the ability to get into the RPM range that your working at faster than a prop, this lets you take advantage of your power band. It also would turn on a dime, once you get use to working the throttle.

Havasu Hangin'
10-31-2001, 09:26 PM
There are some more opinions in this thread (http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000130.html).
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

superdave013
10-31-2001, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by fatboy:
It sounds like a good frist boat to me! I'm a v-drive guy all the way but I think a jet would be better for your frist rig. They turn freaking great as long as it's running. Kinda like steer and squirt! But when the engine shuts down the don't really turn at all. But I would still say go for it. You will have a blast with it!
I work a few blocks from Hardin. They make a good looking boat!

RiverDave2
10-31-2001, 11:58 PM
Fatboy, Like I said Jetboats are extremely fun to drive. However I wouldn't go buying into the fact that they handle like Ferrari's and or better then any prop setup (parish the thought). Let's use our brains here for a sec to determine handling abillity.
I/O Huge fin hanging off the back of the boat for turning.
V-Drive - Huge fin hanging below the boat.
Jet, (In most cases) No fin for turning whatsoever. You point and shoot your "thrust" and the boat will "slip and slide" and go that way. Granted you can have a jet with a "fin" on it, but it's pretty small at best and will not react like the other two.
Those examples are used for on plane driving. As far as off plane driving, docking etc.. It's going to be close between an I/O and a jet.. I/O's got them in the reverse dept. Jet's got them in the turning in it's own wake dept (however if you know how to drive an I/O you can spin it in it's own wake.)
It's one thing to be pro Jet, it's another to be out of touch with reality. I'm not trying to start trouble with the jet folk, but sometimes I feel like you guys build this form of propulsion into something that's really not.
It's almost like me saying "what are you talking about a prop is great in shallow water! When it's up on plane it hardly drafts any water at all!"
Each propulsion has there pro's and cons all that I'm saying is that there is cons and that we should recognize them.
RD

jweeks123
11-01-2001, 12:52 AM
What about the issue of props and swimmers in the same water? Jets get the nod for safety in this instance.

DOHARA
11-01-2001, 05:09 AM
FATBOY, I UNDERSTAND YOUR SITUATION. I PONDERED THE THOUGHT OF BUYING AND I/O OR JET ALSO AS A FIRST BOAT. TRUTH IS I'VE ALWAYS HAD FRIENDS W/JETS, AND THEY ARE A BLAST. I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY. IF YOUR INTO TINKERING AND FIXING YOUR OWN STUFF AND DON'T LIKE TO DROP A S--T LOAD OF MONEY REPAIRNG STUFF GO FOR THE JET. I JUST DROPPED OFF MY PUMP AT MPD AND I'LL TELL YOU BUD, PENNIES COMPAIRED TO FIXING A I/O CAN COST ALOT OF MONEY FOR ONE STUPID DRUNK MISTAKE HITTING A ROCK OR RUNNING INTO SHALLOW AREAS. I HAVE ONE FRIEND W/ AN I/O AND HE'S SPENT MORE ON TWO REBUILT OUTDRIVES THAN I HAVE SPENT ON MY MOTOR AND PUMP, AND IT'S FAILED TWICE IN A ONE YEAR PERIOD. AS FOR HANDLEING MY BOAT TURNS LIKE A DREAM AND IF YOU HAVE A SLOW SPEED RUDDER IT HELPS ALOT IN PUTTIN BOAT WHERE YOU WANT IT. ALSO TRY SHOOTIN A 100 FOOT ROOSTER AT 60+ MILES AN HOUR WITH A I/O. I GET EXCITED EVERY TIME I PUT THAT THING IN WATER. GOOD LUCK.
DANO

572Daytona
11-01-2001, 06:39 AM
RD2...I don't understand this "slip and slide" thing. Neither of my 2 jets slide in the least bit in a turn. A lot of jets have small turning fins near the intake that prevent the back end from sliding in a hard turn. Also reverse works great on both my jets, I have more thrust than my I/O or OB and also have no gear lag when shifting between forward and reverse during docking. In my opinion the handling challenges a Jet has are the following:
1.) No true neutral or out of gear mode. People look at me kind of funny when I am checking something on the motor and my boat is going in circles
2.) Little or no turning capability with the motor stopped or idling. This can be scary the first time someone cuts you off, your initial reaction is to let off the gas and turn the wheel, when you do that you usually keep going straight at whatever you are trying to avoid. You have to learn to use a little throttle to complete the turn. Definitely something all new jetters should practice until it is second nature. I also wouldn't recommend a kill switch if you have a foot throttle.
I've seen the pictures of you in Barney's boat, it is time to get you some seat time in a jet so you can speak from experience http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif How about one of these:
http://server2004.virtualave.net/cobra427/Jetsprint/Images/corboat1.jpg
[This message has been edited by 572Daytona (edited November 01, 2001).]

hoolign
11-01-2001, 07:10 AM
hey Fatboy check out a few of the videos at nzjetboating.com to see for yourself if pumps turn well,there are a few miscalculated turns,and don't forget about the all mighty rooster tail!nothing cooler than the sound comming out of a pair of bassets,and a 100'tail shootin from the back,Hoolign.

RiverDave2
11-01-2001, 08:33 AM
572Daytona, Why do you own a sterndrive but have never driven it?
I have 2 jets, an outboard and a sterndrive and I prefer the handling on the jet. There is no steering torque and no chance of prop ventilation. I have never driven a direct drive or a stern drive so I can't comment on the performance of those. [/B]
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I would love to come out and test drive a couple of jets. I've only ever driven two or three in my whole life.
I will extend the same offer to you as well. Being that you've never driven a stern drive or a direct drive you are more then welcome to come out and give it a shot! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I'm of the opinion that you believe jet boats turn extremely well, becuase you've never driven a I/O or V-Drive.
RD

572Daytona
11-01-2001, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave2:
572Daytona, Why do you own a sterndrive but have never driven it?
[QUOTE]I have 2 jets, an outboard and a sterndrive and I prefer the handling on the jet. There is no steering torque and no chance of prop ventilation. I have never driven a direct drive or a stern drive so I can't comment on the performance of those.
Sorry that was a typo on my part, I meant to say I have never driven a direct drive or V drive. I do have a 26' Carver with a Bravo 3 and the thing is a bitch to dock when it is windy. I guess it not really fair to compare an 18' or 21' jet to a 26' I/O in the handling category. I still think that hull design has a lot more to do with high speed turning than the propulsion method. A V-Hull is usually going to out corner a cat. Here is a picture of the I/O and the OB, the Daytona is under the cover on the lift and my 18' jet is in the basement in need of some work. If you are ever in the Atlanta area give me a holler, the Daytona is out for the season but the Carver and the Glastron stay in year round.
http://www.alltel.net/~jthieme/Dscn0255.jpg

spectras only
11-01-2001, 09:17 AM
RiverDave, I have a solution http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif.Why not put two nozzles on both side of a hull [in case it's a cat ] towards the front and feed some thrust from the jet with a diverter valve.You could do piruettes all day long.I've seen a speedvision program,where they shown a new Maxxum [just another Bayliner http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif]with a joystick that moved the boat in any direction.Who needs all these gizmos anyway!You either learn how to drive a boat properly ,or you give up and become another Captain Crunch http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif.The automotive industry developed every conceivable option [4WS,ABS,GPS etc....]to aid people driving a vehicle .Who needs that.Governments made stricter tests for motorcycle learners to make them more competent with todays high powered superbikes.I vote for competency test for every would be boater to weed them out,hehe.BTW if your boat engine dies on the lake,or on the river with currents and crosswinds ,who cares what propulsion you have you're heading where the wind blows or the river flows http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif

burbanite
11-01-2001, 09:19 AM
fatboy, it will all come down to personal preference at the end of the day. Are there any opportunities for you to try out different types, friends maybe? You won't know until you use any boat for a while, if it suits your situation well and good, if not try something different next time. At least you will be on the water and hopefully with a grin!

spectras only
11-01-2001, 09:22 AM
572Daytona ,that's some cool setup you have there[meaning the facility].I'm going to print it and show it to my buddy to make one for his lakeside to keep our toys sheltered.

572Daytona
11-01-2001, 10:04 AM
Thanks Spectras...The dock is very nice, it is all aluminum including the decking. No wood to rot or steel to rust. Flotation Systems made the dock http://www.aluminumboatdocks.com/
I had someone install mine for me but I think you can order a kit from them and put it together yourself if you are so inclined.

rivercrazy
11-01-2001, 10:31 AM
All I know is my jet turns as well if not better than a stern drive at speed. I can turn around at 35mph in about 2X the length of the boat, maybe less. As for turning with the throttle chopped, it just depends on if you have a large rudder. Mine has one and it turns with the throttle chopped.
As for docking, I'd have to give the thumbs up to a jet. Since theres not in gear or out of gear, you can crawl up to the dock or trailer at less than 1mph. The turning ability at idle is excellent. However, reverse can be a little muddy depending on your set up. All out performance pumps with ride plates and set backs are even muddier in reverse as you backing down against the ride plate.
As for sliding in the turns, my 21' jet doesn't slide at all, regardless of how hard I turn. I think the boat would flip before it slides. It has the two fins in the intake and a large rudder on the place diverter. Some jet boats have mid-ship fin. I think Advantage is one of those.
Bottom line, if you like safety, run in shallow water, like very hard off the line and mid range accel, and plan significant horsepower upgrades, get the jet.
If you run in deep water, all your boating buddies are aware of the prop, you like outright top speed, and do not plan on upgrading horsepower above 500hp (unless you plan on costly upgrades to the outdrive) get the outdrive. By the way, stay away from the Alpha drive. It can't handle much HP.

one4me2
11-01-2001, 03:52 PM
FB,
All the comments about acceleration, top speed, maneuverability, fuel economy etc. are right. These guys know what happens if they bs. Beyond the physics there are a couple factors which may make your decision easier.
When comparing jet and I/O you are comparing more than two propulsion systems you are comparing two ways to have fun on the water. It is like asking the question what is better a sports car with 4 wheels or a custom chopped Hog with two? Get one of each.
When was the last time you saw a family barge with a jet advertising its 500+ponies with the whine of a blower and the growl of open headers? This is just as practical as spending the night in a 18' low profile jet.
Let's also not forget the economic side. Have you seen a 500hp performance I/O for under 20k lately? For 6-8k you can get a jet that will put a smile on your face and put a bulge in your pants just idling. For the same money you can get at most a decent cuddy which I doubt will have the same effect at idle. After 5 hours driving and one night sleep your bones and your s.o. will vote for the cuddy though.
Then there is the question what do you do with the boat when you are not riding it. A jet boat seems to invite customizing and tinkering. What I have seen on this board alone is a pretty serious statement of putting creativity and attention to details before low-involvement and comformity. There are some serious works of art out there. If you like that you will have a jet (or V-racer) sooner or later. If not you will write progressively larger checks (or loans) for progressively longer factory boats. I call it the foot and pen disease.
Now, as far as the first boat is concerned you may want to get your feet wet in let's say a 18-19' I/O bowrider. It is simply not pleasant to learn crossing wakes with 10" freeboard in a low profile jet or to learn docking in a 100K 30-footer. (Once you have it figured out twin screws are really the best as far as maneuverabilty is concened)
If anyone comes across a good jet on the East Coast please let me know. My friend is getting tired of me bumming his. For some reason offering him my 24' cuddy did not make my begging any more compelling. Will I sell that 24' sleeper? No. There are some things which just get too uncomfortable in an 18' jet. Anyway, no matter what you buy the bottom line is to have fun. There is no other way to justify a pleasure boat -jet or screw. Hey, buy one of each our ecomomy needs it.

RiverDave2
11-01-2001, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona:
http://www.alltel.net/~jthieme/Dscn0255.jpg [/B]
572Daytona, that's one hell of a setup you have there!!
I hope I didn't give off the wrong impression. I'm not preaching that props are any better then jets. It's just been my experience that alot of jet guys tend to "overlook" any of the cons to owning one.
Perfect example of that.
One4me2, said When is the last time you saw a 500 horsepower I/O for under 20K. (I'm not picking on you it just so happens that it was the last thing I read)
Answer, you don't need 500 hp to go just as fast in a prop. Actually if it's a 21 daycruiser style you would only need 300 to go around the same speed.
RD

squirt
11-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Boy lots of the whirly gig guys around here now :P Dave you were at Ming so I know you saw the jets run & I'm sure you noticed off the line hp for hp the jets were faster. That being said I think it's safe to say a genral rule of thumb is jets are quicker off the line and to about 55-60 mph after that the whirly gig guys start to walk away from us. So if it is top end speed you want you could do it easier with a prop (god that hurt) but for rat'n around its hard to beat a jet. I have owned barney boats, out drives, inline drives and curently have a 2x whirly gig boat in addition to 2 jet boats and a jet ski. It is about choice but I think a jet is a great 1st boat http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

11-02-2001, 04:40 AM
Whirly gig?......WTF is a whirly gig?

572Daytona
11-02-2001, 08:11 AM
RD...no problem, I shouldn't take the bait so easily. Believe me I am well aware of the top speed issue of jets vs props. Every issue of Hot Boat makes that very obvious. From the numbers they show in there I could probably put my motor in a 28' Cat and get similar speeds to that of my 21' Jet if I could find a long enough run. But the original poster didn't ask about top speeds only about turning. And unless you plan to circle race a jet should be fine for his needs.

RiverDave2
11-02-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by squirt:
Boy lots of the whirly gig guys around here now :P Dave you were at Ming so I know you saw the jets run & I'm sure you noticed off the line hp for hp the jets were faster. That being said I think it's safe to say a genral rule of thumb is jets are quicker off the line and to about 55-60 mph after that the whirly gig guys start to walk away from us. So if it is top end speed you want you could do it easier with a prop (god that hurt) but for rat'n around its hard to beat a jet. I have owned barney boats, out drives, inline drives and curently have a 2x whirly gig boat in addition to 2 jet boats and a jet ski. It is about choice but I think a jet is a great 1st boat http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
When I think of "rattin around" I would say it's IMPOSSIBLE to beat a jet. When I was driving Froggy's Ultra, I loved just cruising and "stabbing" at the throttle. I'm not sure how you'd type that sound on a keyboard so just imagine it.... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
RD

squirt
11-02-2001, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by 058:
Whirly gig?......WTF is a whirly gig?
With a lump in my throat ((((((PROP)))))
just baiting up http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

ilikemtopless
11-02-2001, 04:04 PM
I've owned an I/O - 23ft. sleekcraft executive/454 mag mercruizer. The boat handled great and turned good too.
My current ride is 18 ft. sleekcraft jet with 427 cu bbc.It also handles and turns great, but I must admit is alot more fun to drive(unless your in roughe water) then it gets a little hard on the kidneys.
Butt hey you guys are forgetting, what about cruizing 40 -50 mph lift throttle slip into reverse and stomp the gas(not to hard now you don't whant to bury the nose) WOW what a rush. Try that with a stern-drive
See ya at the river!!

smokin
11-02-2001, 05:25 PM
I use to own a TX19 youngblood it drove like a 'corvette' sports car nice handling boat fun to drive 80mph now I have a picklefork it dont handle is good but will run faster in a strait line... my 02

11-02-2001, 06:14 PM
Thats it,.....good, Squirt,.....Now wasn't that easy? Being able to say the word is the first step to recovery. Admitting you have a problem is the second step. We will work on it at our next session. When you go home stand in front of the mirror and say the word "PROP".. watch your lips form the word. It will get easier the more you say it, trust me!

Wet Dream
11-02-2001, 06:26 PM
I have to admit, 0ne4me2 said it pretty well.
I have 2 boats:
Outboard, open bow, seats 10 people, and is great if you want to go out for a cruise, fishing, pack it up for camping, or maybe a little skiing. It will only pull 1 skier and a boarder at the same time. Runs about 40mph, fuel mpg is decent, gotta mix the fuel, and we take it on Lake Erie (great lakes) for fishing. Its 17.5 feet long. Acceleration sucks, but it goes. Can run in a minimum deapth of 2.5 feet.
Jet, 19' bubble deck, seats 6 adults, noisy at any speed, looks will give you a hard-on on the trailer, make you cream your pants at idle and total orgasm wide open. Acceleration is phenominal, will pull up 4 skiers without a prob. Fuel mileage sucks. But gas was made to burn, money was made to spend and women were made to love. Pull into a gas station, people congregate around the boat asking questions. On the lake, people will want to race, you will win, you will lose, you will go home and see what you can do to make it faster, better looking etc. I can run in about 1 foot of water. (carefully). Don't try to back up, you'll fill the intake with debris and the block with sand and mud. Refer to "Got Sand" thread. Top speed: not out there, but better than most prop jobs. Lake Erie...not a chance in hell. A good day runs swells of 1-2 feet and can change to 4-6 in a matter of minutes. Some days are flat as glass, but few and far between.
Basically, I love my jet, I will take it first before I hook up the other one, but it depends on what the situation calls for. My wife never enjoyed driving the eggbeater, but give her the drivers seat on the jet, she gets a big grin and gets a little wet. (if you know what I mean). Turn the wheel left, begin your turn, let off the throttle, crank the wheel right until it locks, and hammer on the throttle....feel the G forces. Nothing like it. Its all up to you. Drive both. Test both. Don't get something just because. They are 2 totally different type of boats. Get what you will enjoy.
[This message has been edited by Wet Dream (edited November 02, 2001).]

HBjet
11-02-2001, 10:48 PM
I have a 19' jet, this is my first boat, but not the first jet I've driven. I've driven I/O's, V-drives, and Outboards also. I can say by far a jet is the most fun to drive. Reverse sucks since I have a ride plate, but I've driven some jets without, and it was better then I thought it would be. Besides, who the hell wants to go backwards in a jet? As for turning, well, if you have ever driven a jetski, a jet is a lot like that. You can even do a 180 and slide backwards, just ask Hustler when he took my jet for a little spin, and I mean spin....thank got for those splash guards. Anyways, with the same hull as mine (Eliminator Liberty) I've seen a center fin installed with a jet as the drive, and that boat could turn just as hard as a flat bottom and some of those v-drive ski boats. One of the biggest cons of I jet would be having it always in gear. Example, Froggy pumping his stereo and after a while, he needs to run his boat, if you have a jet (which he does) it's no problem as long as you aren't floating at 2am or at a sandbar. That's where a stern or outboard are great, you can run the motor without being in gear and keep the tunes rockin all night long. So, those of you who want a jet, but love to listen to music all night floating down river, make sure your tied up to a buddy with a stern or outboard who has a nice system...
HBjet

HavasuBarney
11-04-2001, 12:14 PM
Outboard http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Bigger, stronger, faster, better handling.
You boys are over-due for your spankings! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
How quickly you want to forget.
If there is a chance that you pull up to another boat AND want to be faster, get your self an OB son!

Infomaniac
11-04-2001, 03:17 PM
Mike,
A jet boat is a good first ride. They require much less maintenance than a v-drive or stern drive. I personally have owned all 3 and prefer v-drives. If your engine is in the 400 HP range the jet is probably better. Also if you plan to pull up on the beach you would not want to do that to a v-drive. It is nice to have reverse also. It takes a lot of HP to make any boat go really fast, and for lake racing 400 HP engines the jet is more than OK.

ilikemtopless
11-04-2001, 05:45 PM
hey barne,
I as well as the rest of us realize that you OBer's can go faster with less HP, and a rice burnin ninja could probley whip my Harley.
Butt hey, you gotta give us points for style. After all just watch the crowd gather around the open engine/over the transum headered/earth shaking JET BOAT as you sit at the far end of the beach all alone.
sorry dude, sounds like your a little bitter.
he he
see ya at the river

HammerDown
11-04-2001, 06:07 PM
I've gotta to put my 2cents in here...True O.B.'s may be the Ninja's of the river,and Big Block Jets may be the Harleys of the river...but having Harleys all my life I must say...there's NOTHING like DETROIT MUSCLE AND MILWAUKEE IRON!!!
[This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited November 04, 2001).]

1quickjet
11-04-2001, 08:48 PM
Yeah, Barney think about it, if you can pull that many chicks with a clamp-on, just imagine what you could do with a haulin' ass, blown-motored, over-transom-headered jet! I know you've been there done that with the chick part, but imagine the possibilities with girls that are not choking on that blue exhaust!

11-05-2001, 06:27 AM
Hey, that blue exhaust is a cheap high. No wonder Barney gets all the girls.

HavasuBarney
11-05-2001, 11:20 AM
Just for the record, I have been known to make some noise while going slow. Here are my current noise makers,
1997 Heitage Softail, stck less pipes, bars and grips.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/Oy/Rs/2Y/jI27035.jpg
1985 FXR, Stock frame, matching numbers. Fast and loud, 88 inch.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/7b/6S/cb/rU32647.jpg
You like a me for to cook da rice? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

1quickjet
11-05-2001, 09:11 PM
Whoa Barn, whoulda thunk? You do appreciate the American iron. So that's how you get the chicks, with the two bad-ass bikes. Then you bring them home liquor 'em up and talk them into riding in the oil burner. I get it now! (BTW, both bikes are too cool, especially that FXR!)

HavasuBarney
11-05-2001, 09:55 PM
It was the bikes that lead me to boats, just too many damn tickets.
Havasu is pretty cool with the bikes though, no helmet laws, one of the deputy sheriffs has a Buell and loves to ride, pretty Harley friendly here.
Boats are great for drinking and parties, Harleys make you an instant celebrity, everywhere you go people will talk yo you, go out of there way to accomidate, just get a ton of respect with those bikes, very cool indeed!

HammerDown
11-06-2001, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by HavasuBarney:
It was the bikes that lead me to boats, just too many damn tickets.
just get a ton of respect with those bikes, very cool indeed!....Well it looked like you were on the right path to cools-vill (with the H.D.'s)at least with the FXR! (I like and use the Thunder Header)... so what happened??? If you like things that rip,smoke,and spin up to 15,000 rpm,then why no Ninja??? Ya gotta to keep it real bro.