PDA

View Full Version : Lasik question!

Tremor Therapy
11-24-2004, 08:25 AM
I know there have been a number of lasik threads in the past, but I would like to ask a couple of questions for those who have done it.
After my consultation, the doctor informed me that because of my age (41) my correction would just reverse what I have currently. I am nearsighted, -2 correction, and that he could correct my vision so that I can function in the world without glasses. But, I work on a computer all day, and frequently go through pages of documentation and blueprints, and that I would probably need reading glasses immediately upon returning to work.
Have any of you gotten the same response, or do any of you have to do the same thing since your correction? And, if you do need reading glasses since your correction, would you still have done it?
I'd appreciate any of your responses.

PHX ATC
11-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Face it, you're old and blind.
Get over it, accept it, then move on.
Just kidding Alan, I wish you the best in this. Maybe you'll be able to see the sandbars that mysteriously pop up while running the river.
Ouch. Who loves you? :D

nodigg
11-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Had mine done 20 years ago and have never regretted it! (That was radial keratotamy though) My wife had Lasik done a couple of years ago at apx 46 years old and got that bi-focal? thing done, one eye for close-up, one eye for distance. She could not see across a room before. Now she reads and lives without glasses. Can't beleive she waited so long but she is
VERY happy with the result now.

dicudmore
11-24-2004, 08:37 AM
I had it done about 5 years ago. Very happy! :D
Had an astigmatism too...

yamakazi
11-24-2004, 08:43 AM
I had it done about 7yrs ago. I use the computer, read stuff and grade papers all day long, they've never given me a problem. That surgery was the best thing I've done. 124 seconds of surgery for no glasses....are you kidding?! Go for it! :D

gmocnik
11-24-2004, 08:59 AM
do your home work...before making a surgical decision....
at age 41, you are an "emerging presbyope". presbyopia is the gradual loss of the ability of the eyes natural lens to accomodate. by age 50, your arms are not long enough for you to read the menu. for a myope (minus spherical refraction) LASIK does a great job in restoring your distance vision. at age 30, your eye has enough accomadative reserve to allow you to read the menu or computer without plus lenses (readers).
Any surgical solution will involve a compromise. you and your surgeon need to discuss what compromises you are willing to make. Sorry, there are currently no surgical solutions that give you everything you had at age 20....
have your eye doc determine if you are monovision tolerant. correcting one eye for distance and the other (non-dominant eye) for near without creating too much difference between the two (anemisetropia) is a solution that works for many people (me included). Additionally, ask about having Conductive Keratoplasty (CK) performed after LASIK. a great way restore near vision.
Note that with a progressive "disease", like presbyopia, there is no permanent solution to your vision. Once you make a surgical decision, plan on being in the chair several times before you are ready for cataract surgery.
you are in the North County...Give Forest Murphy MD a call in La Jolla...
you only have one set of eyes, think carefully before opting for a surgical solution

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-24-2004, 09:02 AM
I was going to have it a few years back but I chickened out the night before the surgery. I know most who have had it done just love it but I just can't get past the idea that what if something bad happens, these are my only eyes!
I'm a sissy I guess!

nodigg
11-24-2004, 09:05 AM
I was going to have it a few years back but I chickened out the night before the surgery. I know most who have had it done just love it but I just can't get past the idea that what if something bad happens, these are my only eyes!
I'm a sissy I guess!
Consider doing one at a time Linda. Just in case.

MissHavasuCig
11-24-2004, 09:59 AM
I got Lasik 5 years ago and it was the best thing ever! I had an eye checkup a few weeks ago and my eyes are healthy as can be :) My mother in law also had it done and she's been happy too...
Go for it if the doctor says you're a good candidate!
We used Dr. Kawesch in La Jolla.

purrfecttremor
11-24-2004, 11:25 AM
My Wife Had It Done Last Year And Wishes She Would Have Had Monovision.she Does Wear Reading Glasses And Doesnt Like It.would She Do It Over Again Yes! Im Currantly Wearing Mono Contacts And Have Ajusted Very Well So I Wii Get It Done With Mono.good Luck Alan We Only Have One Set Of Eyes.bill