PDA

View Full Version : ***boat readers rides??

Omega-Bitch II
07-29-2001, 07:52 PM
How about ***boat setting up a readers rides site for every body to post pics of their boats. I know EVERYBODY likes to show off their boat!! How bout it ***boat!!!

flat broke
07-29-2001, 08:27 PM
I had heard that Hot Boat was hard up for readers rides boats for the mag, so I'm not sure they would waste potential photos on the web. Speaking of the readers rides section, is it just me or does it seem like a Bayliner Capri with some haul ass eggbeater could make it into the mag these days.

rstover1
07-29-2001, 08:35 PM
They could take pics from the web for the mag. It dosent matter that bayliner capri could be someones pride and joy.Everyone has the right to show off what they put thier heart and money into.Rember some folks dont have 30,000 to drop for a boat so lets give everyone a chance right. Thats how my family got started in boats my pop who is a cop and has a fairly small salary started with an old bayliner bought it cheap fixed it up sold it made some money bought somthing a little better and so on and so on.Now he has a 21ft carlson with a built 460 and races all around the lake. I started with a slow ass taylor ss sold it and now I got a sweet condor tx19 with a bbc. Sorry to ramble on just bored I guess!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

riverlover
07-29-2001, 11:35 PM
Hey Omega-Bitch II I felt the same way so I started an eboard for just that reason and so I could put boats and faces with the nick names. Email your ride to me at briansawyer42@hotmail.com and I will post it on the eboard at http://www2.eboard.com/eboard/servlet/BoardServlet?ACTION=BO ARD_SHOW&SITE_NAME=Destination&BOARD_NAME=***boatForum (http://www2.eboard.com/eboard/servlet/BoardServlet?ACTION=BOARD_SHOW&SITE_NAME=Destination&BOARD_NAME=***boatForum)
keep in mind, I may edit a little to optimize the photo etc....
RL
[This message has been edited by riverlover (edited July 30, 2001).]

flat broke
07-30-2001, 08:05 AM
rstover1,
I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with a Capri being someone's pride and joy. Im 27, we used to have nice boats as kids, the best was a 23' Tahiti that we had to get rid of when my parents divorced.
Growing up through my late teens, I wanted to find a way back onto the water, so my younger brother and I (with a little help from our dad) got a set of used jet skiis. We used them for a year, cleaned them up, and traded them for a Ranger Tri Hull with a blown up 351 and an OMC that needed work. To most it was a piece of s--t. To us it was a way to ski and be on the water. It got a home-sprayed imron paintjob, 4" through the transom exhaust and some interior mods and then was sold. We parlayed that into a 19' Eliminator Bubble with a 460 and a berk. All the while looking at the nice boats in Hot Boat (before it became Big Boat) and thinking that someday we would have something nice enough to grace a mag. The Eliminator was sold and my brother went in with my Dad on a 92 Caribbean 20.6 Its an exceptionaly clean boat that they are making even better. I am re-rigging a 21' Dana Daycruiser that should be done by Labor Day.
The reason I go into all of this is because I know what it means to work from next to nothing to something nice. Thats all the more reason I enjoy seeing nicer rides in HB. Because I have wrenched (with help from family and friends)my own rides, I know what goes into making a great boat. If I had my choice, I would like to see nice boats, that the owners have worked (not paid) to make better. However, if the choice is between a Capri with a 300HP promax that was resurected from the dead by the owner or a brand new Commander or the like, I would agree with you I would rather hear about the guy who cut his knuckles on the Capri... HOWEVER, there is no excuse for them spending 6 pages on some guy who restored a 17' runabout that by all accounts was nowhere near a hot boat. I pay (excuse the cliche) hard earned money for the mag, the last thing I want to see is fodder to fill a page count. Yes I want to see more articles about readers rides. No, I do not want to spend $$ on a mag that is focusing on boats that could be found in "Trailer Boat" or "Powerboat". Bottom line, readers rides should be something to look at and say "damn thats a nice boat, I gotta give that guy props for his effort".
Chris

froggystyle
07-30-2001, 09:18 AM
I agree. That hot little Pinto is someones pride and joy too, but unless it has a blown Rodeck, tube frame and 20" slicks, it isn't making the pages of Hot Rod. I have been on a quest to make the pages of this magazine. I was hoping to do it with the Daytona, but now the chips are all on my new Ultra. I hope it is nice enough for them to want to feature, but if not... well there is always my next boat!!!!