PDA

View Full Version : 6AL owners

fat rat
07-04-2001, 04:20 AM
I sold the old Caribbean to a buddy of mine and on a recent outing to our local sandbar....some jerk-off came rolling in with a 40 ft. tank and sent a couple large wakes over the transom...filing the bilge with about a foot of water. Anyways the 6AL had about an inch of water up on the box (second fin) the boat ran like crap leaving there that day (3 weeks ago). After getting back in and drying everything out and we started the boat again and it had a miss still, we were in total denial that the box was bad as per MSD...he performed the test and it did exactly what it should have....had we listened to the advice we got from this board we would have been back boating the next day....if the box gets wet it'll do weird things. Thanks

nitro557
07-04-2001, 05:14 AM
call nelson specialties they used to be in woodbridge but moved to n.c. to be closer to nascar garages he does most of their ignitions and invented the two pick up ignition that moroso sells his #is 1-800-494-7532

fat rat
07-04-2001, 08:23 AM
We corrected the problem and MSD is going to rebiuld the old box for $65.00...should make a good spare, just in case.

gmocnik
07-05-2001, 06:33 AM
6al msd ignition is great....but always carry a spare brain...6al is not intended for marine use and is sucseptable to vibration and moisture...
luckily most havasu area shops, engine guys, keep them in stock...but my breakdowns never happen between 9am and 5pm!!!!!!
gm

Squirtcha?
07-05-2001, 07:29 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way but, it hardly seems worth it. Are the gains from the MSD that significant that you'd carry around and extra $150.00 module with you? Or you'll take the chance of messing up the unit by getting it wet or by subjecting it to vibration, both of which happen frequently in a boat. I'm running a stock ignition setup and never have to worry about it. I know many people that use the MSD in their boats and swear by them. It just seems inevitable that sooner or later you're going to have problems. My boat got caught in a full scale gale and was sunk to the gunwales last year. Bilged it out, got the water out of the gas tanks, cylinders, carb and intake, and fired it up without touching the ignition system. I seriously considered using the MSD 6 or 6 AL box but now I'm having second thoughts. If it has to be changed every time it gets wet I'm afraid I'd be in trouble. Not that I plan on sinking my boat again but, there aren't too many places in mine that stay dry due to water skiers getting in wet, the occasional wave over the transom etc. Don't they make a potted type box? (sealed) (marinized)

superdave013
07-05-2001, 07:36 AM
I have the marine version of the 6AL with the marine soft touch rev control. It was in the boat when I bought it and mounted in a place that got wet all the time. I am going to move it to a dryer location but I did not ever have a problem when it got wet. So if anyone is bucking up for a new MSD the marine one has worked sweet for me.

spectras only
07-05-2001, 07:58 AM
I've mentioned at before get the MSD 6M2,that's the marine version http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited July 05, 2001).]