PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cover

Animal Magnatism
11-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking at making a cover for my boat. What material should I use to make it. My wife is handy on the sewing machine but it can't handle thick materials (like canvas etc.)
Thanks,
Paul.

wsuwrhr
11-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Hey Paul,
I don't know what kind of quality you are looking for, but I went to the local parts store, PepBoys, AutoZone, and bought the longest carcover they had, fits perfect.
40 bucks or so,
just a thought
Brian

Sangerboy
11-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Brian, I did the same thing but got it at Costco. Works perfect to keep the dust and dirt off of it while it sits in the building :cool:

waterwitch
11-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Just an FYI.. sunbrella is what most covers
are made from. Very thick.. and I believe you
have to have a heavy duty machine.

SANGER-RICH
11-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Just an FYI.. sunbrella is what most covers
are made from. Very thick.. and I believe you
have to have a heavy duty machine.SUNBRELLA PRODUCTS (http://www.outdoortextiles.com/browsesunbrella.php)
OR TRY HERE FOR MATERIAL (http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_419_A_SubCatID_E_487 _A_ProdID_E_3168_A_promoid_E_2)

Thunderbutt
11-27-2004, 12:32 PM
If it is just a dust cover, go to an Army surplus store a get a parachute. ( the old type)

Animal Magnatism
11-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm after a cover to protect it whille travelling. A car cover will probably be too thin (I guess) I'll look into the Sunbrella product and try get a sample to see how heavy it is and whether our machine can handle it.
Thanks again.
Paul

cruser
11-28-2004, 08:58 PM
I talked to Eliminator about a cover for my daytona when I bought it. Bob Leach and the other guys I talked to said don't get a towing cover. You can not get one that will not scratch the finish.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-28-2004, 09:02 PM
I talked to Eliminator about a cover for my daytona when I bought it. Bob Leach and the other guys I talked to said don't get a towing cover. You can not get one that will not scratch the finish.
You can get one thats towable and won't scratch, but be willing to part with $800.00 plus.

stix818
11-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Hey V-drive video where abouts can you get one? I would like to do some research on some.

lucky
11-29-2004, 02:10 PM
well boys - look at summit - I bought one for the cruiser - heavy duty waterproof and towable - in a very nice shade of blue under 200 bucks :D
summitracing.com - search ( boat covers ) they are wolf covers :D

Schiada76
11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
You can get one thats towable and won't scratch, but be willing to part with $800.00 plus.
Only with sheepkin on the inside.

cruser
11-29-2004, 09:46 PM
The one Eliminator said they could get was $850 and they still said it was better to go without it because of scratching. i took them at their word and towed the boat hoe. 800 miles, no scratches.

stix818
11-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Anyone have any info on a cover for the bow only. Tired of my new paint getting beat up by the road!!!! :cry:

superdave013
11-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Custom Canvas in Upland is the place to get them. They are 2 covers. The first one is a flannel or almost felt like stuff. Really soft. The other one is a canvas deal that goes almost all the way down to the trailer. Made just for your boat and will fit like a glove.
And like VDV said, get ready to drop some bank.

WILDERTHANU
11-30-2004, 12:14 PM
RON DID THE TOW COVERS AND WORK COVERS ON TWO OF OUR BOATS, THEY FIT AWESOME, WILL NOT SCRATCH AND ARE CUSTOM MADE TO OUR BOAT AND TRAILER...
CUSTOM CANVAS CO.
5482 E. Arrow Hwy., Montclair, CA 91763
Tel: 909 981-7179

stix818
11-30-2004, 03:58 PM
superdave and wilderthanu are those complete boat covers or just the front??

WILDERTHANU
11-30-2004, 04:26 PM
OURS ARE COMPLETE, AND HAVE A WORK COVER MADE, WELL WORTH THE CASH, HE MAKES 'EM AS WELL AS THE COVER. MINE SNAPS IN PLACE FROM THE INSIDE.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/275118-1878_IMG_2_.JPG .

coolchange
11-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking at making a cover for my boat. What material should I use to make it. My wife is handy on the sewing machine but it can't handle thick materials (like canvas etc.)
Thanks,
Paul.
Sunbrella is the stuff to use. Not very thick but it is stiff and a little hard to handle and almost requires a walking foot machine. Besides the walking foot getting a large enough stitch spacing , using a heavy enough thread is probably your biggest DIY issue. If you want to make a towing cover it has to fit TIGHT and be strapped on good. Some boats are almost impossible to make a tow cover for because of the areodynamics, they just wont stay tight. Flannel is OK but you just can't get any dirt or sand under any kind of cover or it will scratch. Tonneaus are nice to keep the crud out or to throw on if the weather comes up on the road. Also keeps sticky fingers out of the boat, but most people can't live with the snaps.

BILLY.B
12-01-2004, 06:24 AM
superdave and wilderthanu are those complete boat covers or just the front??I've been towing my flat and so has my brother for at least 10yrs with covers that Custom Canvas made for us. "THEY WILL NOT SCRATCH PAINT"!!!!. Ask for Monica (909-981-7179) as she is the one that does all the covers and tell her that I told you to call. Like SD said they are usually 2 covers, the first one protects the paint and the 2nd one fits like a glove with velcro straps that sinch it down tight to the trailer and a draw string at the back that pulls around the bottom to keep that tight. A 2nd tip that we tell all are customers to do. Wax the boat and leave the wax on, cover the boat and tow it to the river or lake or wherever you may be going and when you uncover the boat wipe off the remaining wax. What ever wax that is not there will be on the first cover and usually that means the area that that is rubbing on the boat. You can do this a couple of times and it coats the cover for added protection. If you have a custom paint job a cover that can protect the paint is "PRICELESS". One bad chip can pay for the cover :hammerhea.

Sanger D
12-01-2004, 06:46 AM
damn bill that is some good f#@$%!n thinking,what a great idea.How much for those covers, and are they custom fit or just by length.WAX while driving ,shit what a concept!!!thanks again for snaggin my chair
Sanger D

stix818
12-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Right on, I'll have to see what the damage will be. Already have enough chips to pay for a couple of them things.

coolchange
12-01-2004, 06:17 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/369cover1.jpg
Another thing you might consider is how far in you can get to sew re-enforcements with a small machine. Here's a tow cover I did for a Cole JB that's black and still has the chalk marks. Its hard to stuff 6' of cover into a machine and sew in the backing. Look for a used walking foot machine. You just might start a new sideline.

coolchange
12-01-2004, 06:25 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/369coverrear.jpg
Another tow cover. Note the "fly" for the cable. Anything to keep it tight!

coolchange
12-01-2004, 06:29 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/369front.jpg
Note the pocket for the wheel to keep it tight and eliminate flutter.