PDA

View Full Version : Clr?

victorfb
11-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Ive been noticing alot of calcium depositing inside my water lines, especially at the AN fittings. and since i am running aluminum heads im affraid they are getting some aswell. not to mention the rest of the block and water ports. has anyone tried running CLR or any other type of mineral/calcium remover through thier water system? i was thinking of running a recirculating system that will flush through, then refilling the water system with a automotive coolant to help protect it durring the winter season. the colorado river water seems to have a high mineral and calcium content, and am still trying to design a filter that will trap atleast some of it before it gets into the block and banderlog valve. the valve got stuck this past season and im pretty sure its the calcium deposits that are gunking it up then drying during the down time then sticking the valve. i have some time to try and combat that, but for now i would like to protect the heads and lines/AN fittings.

quiet riot
11-26-2004, 09:25 PM
I've tried using a few different products including clr to clean up corroded/coated/oxidized alum before polishing and have found they needed some elbow grease to do any good. This was just for surface discoloring and or slight buildup and it didn't do a lot there so I'm guessing if you have an issue with internal passages its not gonna remedy much just by running it thru there. Maybe if it sat inside for a long time????
On another note, the water passage on my cast alum intake had no corrosion or buildup after 8 years so I don't know that its a big issue and I ran it in salt water also. I've got alum heads now but also went to a closed cooling system but that was more for keeping sand outta the motor and not worrying about draining it in the wintertime.
jd

Squirtin Thunder
11-27-2004, 12:26 AM
I live here at the river and I have to clean the fausets once a month with CLR !!!
Jim

victorfb
11-27-2004, 01:16 PM
thanks guys. i think ill try the CLR and let it recirculate for a while. hook it to a pump and let it go. then do the same with some antifreeze/coolant. that should protect it some.
i like the idea of the closed coolant system. i would still need some sort of filter for the header water going through the banderlog valve, and the cooler/ radiator to keep them from build up, but those are much easier to inspect and repair/replace. if you can post some pics of your closed system, that would be great.
thanks..

quiet riot
11-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Victor, I seem to have lost my camera (haven't unpacked half the boxes) since I moved a couple months ago. A similar thread came up in jets a month ago and ttmott??? showed one he made outta ss. Mine is alum and I mounted it on the rear of the motor and made it where the fresh water is self draining so I don't have to drain anything. I have alum exh manifolds that have bigger passages in the elbows that run the spent fresh water out so I haven't had an issue with header valves. Might search just jets and see if you can find the pic of his.
jd
Ps, do you know what effect clr would have on gaskets, sealant, and hoses? just wondering if its compatible with that stuff?

Danhercules
11-28-2004, 10:56 AM
I like that idea too vic. I use CLR a lot around the house. I got Galv pipies and lots of rust spots in the sinks. I found out that ya got to let it sit. If you pump it through, let it go through for a while. 5 gal bucket with a submersibel pump would probally work real good. I add a bit of water cause the CLR cost a lot. I fill up the sinks 1/2 way with water and CLR.