PDA

View Full Version : Electric Dip Sticks

burtandnancy
11-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Well, I hear its going to be real cold at Lake Mead over the week-end, so I'm going to give my electric dip stick heaters a try. They are supposed to keep the oil and engine blocks warm, but I don't know about the exhaust manifolds. Does anyone know how well they work on the whole system? If they won't do the complete job, I'm going to rip off Nancy's electric blanket (I can keep her warm). If anyone thinks an IR lamp will be needed as well, I'll have to pull in a third extension cord. What do you think?...

Kim Hanson
11-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Look below, this is right.......( . )( . )........ :D

Kim Hanson
11-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, I hear its going to be real cold at Lake Mead over the week-end, so I'm going to give my electric dip stick heaters a try. They are supposed to keep the oil and engine blocks warm, but I don't know about the exhaust manifolds. Does anyone know how well they work on the whole system? If they won't do the complete job, I'm going to rip off Nancy's electric blanket (I can keep her warm). If anyone thinks an IR lamp will be needed as well, I'll have to pull in a third extension cord. What do you think?...
Just put in a block heater, those dipsticks bake your oil fast! Block heaters are cheap and it will fire up in - 40 temps add another and your temp will be around 165 when you start it :cool: I live in this cold stuff! I have run 2, sure makes for fast take offs---no warm ups, but the power bill sucked! So does the cold though and I like warm so..2 block heaters! They are really easy to put in also, knock out your frost plug, push this heater one in and tighten..plug in to power..easy eh!........( . )( . ).........If its being a real bitch, get a battery blanket..they work !

burtandnancy
11-25-2004, 07:41 PM
So whats the problem with the dip stick heaters, do they cook the oil on the sticks or does it do something to the oil. I'm leaving at dark thirty in the AM and need to know if I am going to do some damage with the sticks. How about nancy's blancket, will it work or not? how about the IR lamp? Its only suppossed to get to below 30 for a few days next week. I'm not used to cold weather in So Cal and So NV...