PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel Supercharger

AMC-Nut
11-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey Guys,
I was just looking through my old Smokey Yunick notebooks and ran across a couple of pages detailing a flywheel supercharger. He filled the area around the flywheel with airtight material and used the flywheel itself as a supercharger and got anywhere from 3-8 PSI for free! This sounds like an awesome stealth sleeper setup specially in a jet or v-drive with an exposed engine. What do you guys think?

steelcomp
11-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Hey Guys,
I was just looking through my old Smokey Yunick notebooks and ran across a couple of pages detailing a flywheel supercharger. He filled the area around the flywheel with airtight material and used the flywheel itself as a supercharger and got anywhere from 3-8 PSI for free! This sounds like an awesome stealth sleeper setup specially in a jet or v-drive with an exposed engine. What do you guys think?
Nothing's for free...if it made that kind of pressure there was certainly some significant drag on the flywheel, but leave it to Smokey!! :D It would be interesting to figure out how much it took to create that amount of presure.

AMC-Nut
11-26-2004, 08:50 PM
The theory is that the flywheel is already creating drag and you just make use of it. He mentions it a little in his Best Damn Garage In Town book but doesn't say much. In the notebooks that I have he says that he filled the area with "high temp spray foam", cut an inlet hole with filter and ran an outlet to the carb through the air cleaner assembly. He also notes that he ran it in 68-71 without ever getting caught!

DansBlown73Nordic
11-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Im headed to the hardware store for a can a spray foam... :rolleyes: :D

AMC-Nut
11-27-2004, 10:03 AM
I can send you a photo copy of the notes if you want. I tried to scan them but they are very, very hard to read. I think Smokey wrote in some strange language...