PDA

View Full Version : Who does Christmas lights on the house?

Boozer
11-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Because I'm going to Havasu for the parade of lights I decided to not go this weekend so I can put the lights up.
Before I moved to Denver I use to do the lights on this house every year for 4 years. The last year I did them there was something like 20,000 lights on this house. This year I hope to double that number if not triple. I haven't put Christmas lights up in 6 years so hopefully I didn't lose my touch.
I'll post some pictures of the house when its completed.

looky_lou
11-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Good luck.
Getting ready to put mine up this weekend too. :)

Mrs.Racer277
11-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Because I'm going to Havasu for the parade of lights I decided to not go this weekend so I can put the lights up.
Before I moved to Denver I use to do the lights on this house every year for 4 years. The last year I did them there was something like 20,000 lights on this house. This year I hope to double that number if not triple. I haven't put Christmas lights up in 6 years so hopefully I didn't lose my touch.
Wow! When you are finished there can you come over and do mine. :D

Blown 472
11-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Wow! When you are finished there can you come over and do me. :D
WTF??????

Mrs.Racer277
11-26-2004, 01:04 PM
NICE!!! :hammer2:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-26-2004, 01:06 PM
I do ours.. but I am not sure if I will be doin much this year.. we will see. :)

OutCole'd
11-26-2004, 01:08 PM
I try to do more every year.
Around here, not too many other peeps do much at all though.

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
11-26-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm going to try to get Jason to do ours this weekend!!! Yipeeee Hooray I just hope he does'nt Shock :220v: him self this year :eek: :hammerhea :wink: LOL

boater72
11-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Just got done. Day after Turkey day every year. :rollside:

switchin'addiction
11-26-2004, 01:34 PM
It's a done deal here, finished up about an hour ago. :D

racecar.hotshoe
11-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Mine are up,Mine will always go up for the kids!

thom
11-26-2004, 01:53 PM
true story a couple of years ago i spent the entire weekend putting up lights. sunday night i get ready to turn them on,, call out the wife and kid and turn them on.. two seconds later my neighbor turns on his after working all weekend also.. my son looks at our house then looks across the street and says " WE LOOSE " and walks away... i think he was 8 or 9 that year
two years later we move and our new neighbor call's my son over as he ready to turn on his lights.. " Hey tommy come over here and check out my vegas style lights" he turns them on my son looks at them for a second and says "looks more like bullhead city to me and walks away again..
this kid is tuff on x-mas lights but there is nothing better than some x-mas music, a little adult egg nog and hanging x-mas lights

switchin'addiction
11-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Good story thom. Keep your kid away from my house...he would not be impressed. :D

Squirtin Thunder
11-26-2004, 02:51 PM
I have a bazilion lights to put up. My electric bill usually jumps about $30 - $40 for the month.
I had two acers in NC and I lite the whole thing so Santa could find the place easely.
Jim

Boatcop
11-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Put mine up every year. Usually takes a whole weekend, and then some. Every year I add a bit more.
I'm not into the bazillion lights deal. I put up about 2 dozen strings around the house and make the wood painted cut outs of Santa and the elves and reindeer and all that stuff. Mount it all up on the roof under flood lights. We have a decorating contest here in Parker every year. I've never entered, since I'm not doing it just for some award, but so far I've managed to win "Most Christmassy" every year. Go figure!
One of these days I think someone's going to mistake my place for the airport and land a cessna in the front yard.

MJ19
11-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Looking forward to seeing that!!! 40K lights...that's a TON!!! :eek:

Been there done that
11-26-2004, 04:38 PM
we have a ship load of stuff inside and out

MJ19
11-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Curious...When do you guys typically put your lights up? Thanksgiving weekend or later? When do you typically buy your tree?

Boozer
11-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Well after spending the day out front I'm nowhere near finished. I don't think I'm going to be able to put up more then 10-15K lights this year because I usually put about 7,000 on this enormous tree out front. Unfortunately the city came along 2 years ago and cut down the tree. It would take me an entire day to do the tree alone and I covered every inch of that sucker.
I managed to put about 3500 lights on the house itself and I'm nowhere near completion.
We also do the wood santas and sleighs and reindeer and all that mumbo jumbo as well. That's dads job though. He cuts em out, my grandmother paints them, then he assembles them and puts them out front. I do all the lights while he does the wood stuff.
Hopefully I can have the sucker done this time tomorrow and post pictures when it's all done.

Kachina26
11-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Ya'll are freaks like my uncle! I do a very discrete string of lights around the house, he goes all out. Takes him weeks to put them up. I'll post pics of the madness. They won't let him enter the city contest anymore, they want to spread it around a bit.

Boatcop
11-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Here's what I had in 2000. I've added more since.
http://www.boatcop.com/xmas2000.jpg
If you can't read what the small sign says, it reads:
"At Least It's Not Florida!"
(Remember, this was right after the 2000 election debacle)

Debbolas
11-26-2004, 06:51 PM
I've never really counted the lights we put up. I have done the lights by myself in the past (turkey season and all) But if I can get to Scream before he gets busy, we do the hanging icicle lights around the house and then some bushes with these really big old fashion bulbs.
Since his sister moved to Thoroughbred Street, we have been putting up more and more lights. (oh and we have a blow up snowman and santa, and some trees with lights for the front yard, oh, and some light up presents, oh and a train to go around the tree)
We like Christmas!! :rollside:

Mrs.Racer277
11-26-2004, 07:13 PM
I've never really counted the lights we put up. I have done the lights by myself in the past (turkey season and all) But if I can get to Scream before he gets busy, we do the hanging icicle lights around the house and then some bushes with these really big old fashion bulbs.
Since his sister moved to Thoroughbred Street, we have been putting up more and more lights. (oh and we have a blow up snowman and santa, and some trees with lights for the front yard, oh, and some light up presents, oh and a train to go around the tree)
We like Christmas!! :rollside:
:D :D OH LOL :D :D

Debbolas
11-26-2004, 07:15 PM
:wink:

Dr. Eagle
11-26-2004, 08:32 PM
I just got done adding 6 20 amp outlets each on a dedicated circuit outdoors for the christmas lights... yeah, we'll be doing out part to guide in Santa Clause...

Umongus
11-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Got mine up yesterday....still not done. It's too much work to wait and then have them up for just a short time. I'll try to finish up today before the storm comes in....
http://www.freepichosting.com/Thumbs/421571955/2/1.jpg
Tony

Shark In The Pond
11-27-2004, 08:28 AM
I'm in the landscape biz and do ALOT of light work which gets old quick ! I do mine the day after Thanksgiving but I meet another board member Fri. from N.M. (Carreraboat) for eats and drinks and the last place we were at cut us off ? So it looks like I be stringing them this yr. with a ugly hangover :mad:

Boozer
11-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Got mine up yesterday....still not done. It's too much work to wait and then have them up for just a short time. I'll try to finish up today before the storm comes in....
http://www.freepichosting.com/Thumbs/421571955/2/1.jpg
Tony
That proves the point that often less is more. Not a lot of lights on your house but it looks really good. Good job!
I just finished working on the house here. Would have put up more lights but the old man cut me off after I started stringing lights from the roof down to the ground. Should be interesting to see it lit up though. Not nearly as many as I wanted but still should look good.

Umongus
11-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Thank you, I enjoy doing it. My neighborhood really gets into the lights thing but they all look good. No one goes overboard. It looks really nice when everyone is done and every house, almost, is lit up.
Tony

thom
11-28-2004, 05:12 PM
umongus .. that looks great!! very classy look

spectratoad
11-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Going to start working on mine tomorrow. :D Should be cool to see what everyone here puts up.

Boozer
11-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Okay so here's what I got done before my old man put a stop to the lights. After I got it all lit up he agreed that it needs more so now I have to get down the other boxes of lights and get crazier with it after work over the next week.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/721DSCF0661.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/721DSCF0662.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/721DSCF0663.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/721DSCF0664.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/721DSCF0665.JPG

switchin'addiction
11-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Now that is some Christmas spirit! :D

ROZ
11-29-2004, 02:15 AM
I like the lawn ornaments ou have there boozer... they don't look cheesy like the store bought wire stuff made from China... Someone around he corner from us has a yard that christmas threw up on .. cheesy crap everywhere...A TON OF IT. It takes the guy a month and a half to get it all setup for the day after Thanksgiving... My daughter thinks it's the greatest thing since Rudolf :D
I light up our house like Umungous, but with an even mix of frosted and translucent colored bulbs.. All evenly spaced and pointing the same direction... yup!
:D