PDA

View Full Version : Babb speakers

phebus
11-26-2004, 10:28 PM
On OSO, they talk highly of the Babb speakers. How do the Babb 6x9's compare to the MB Quart Nautique 6x9's?

Havasu Hangin'
11-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Also on OSO, they talk about how Babb has closed up shop.
I personally never liked them.

Tom Brown
11-27-2004, 09:28 AM
I personally never liked them.
I didn't comment on this because it's been several years since I've heard a set of their 6x9s.
Back in the early days of Babb (probably mid to late 80s), we brought some of their stuff in and everybody raved about it. They had aluminum cones with a their name embossed in the cone and it was all pretty bling-bling back before the term existed. I thought they sounded terrible, perhaps worse than low end MEI 6x9s. It was the thing to have, however, so I just shut up and installed them when asked.
That was back in the day when the Sony D-69 and Pioneer V-69 were the 6x9s to have, IMO. Harmon Kardon or Carver were the amps of choice back then. Both could drive a 1 ohm load and could drive massive amounts of current. :cool:
I think it would be fair to say that I was closed minded to BABB products ever since the early days when everyone raved about how great they sounded. It seemed to me to be a case of bling-bling winning out over sound quality in a huge way so maybe they got a lot better over the years but I've never liked them.
Later, kids....

Havasu Hangin'
11-27-2004, 10:12 AM
It seemed to me to be a case of bling-bling winning out over sound quality in a huge way so maybe they got a lot better over the years but I've never liked them.
I agree...I've got Babbs in my current boat, and the highs are harsh, mids are weak, and the bass distorts.
Other than that...they are great speakers.
:D

phebus
11-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Alrighty then......I'm out on the Babb's. MB Quart it is.