PDA

View Full Version : Shine & Buff?

Boo
11-27-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm looking to do some wintertime cleaning on my 99 Cheetah and was wondering what folks are using to clean and wax. The gel coat is in great shape, with no fade on the graphics. I'm just looking to run my electrical obital buffer over it with a cleaning "compound" and then follow it up with a good wax/polish. Any suggestions?
Also, I have some areas of slight yellowing on the white interior. I've tried a couple different products, but can't seem to get it bright white. I've tried the Mr. Clean Erasers, but still can't get the yellow out.

throwerb
11-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Also, I have some areas of slight yellowing on the white interior. I've tried a couple different products, but can't seem to get it bright white. I've tried the Mr. Clean Erasers, but still can't get the yellow out.
I had the same problem. Scotch Brite now makes a version of the magic eraser that I use with fantastic orange instead of water and I can't believe how well it works. My interior looks almost new.

phebus
11-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Acetone, followed by a good conditioner.

Ducatista
11-29-2004, 03:31 PM
I saw a boat mfg in Havasu using white gas(Colman fuel) on the white areas which seemed to work real good. I had not heard of that one before, might be worth a try.

dicudmore
11-29-2004, 03:36 PM
I saw a boat mfg in Havasu using white gas(Colman fuel) on the white areas which seemed to work real good. I had not heard of that one before, might be worth a try.
I've heard of that too, kind of as a last resort but I'm told it works well. Should prob be followed by some kind of protectant :wink:

Jordy
11-29-2004, 03:49 PM
I've heard of that too, kind of as a last resort but I'm told it works well. Should prob be followed by some kind of protectant :wink:
Or depending on the boat, a match. :D :D :D

PHX ATC
11-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Nordic told me to use the white fuel dealio stuff.
I've been reluctant to use it, but might try it.
I know Jordy..........if I ever get another boat. :rolleyes: :D

Jordy
11-29-2004, 05:50 PM
I know Jordy..........if I ever get another boat. :rolleyes: :D
I don't know how it would work for saddle soap though. :D

cc322
12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
For wax I use 100% carnuba wax and I use the paste type, imo it lasts longer than the liquid. I use Mothers and have always had good luck with it. There are some good products you could find a a detailers supply shop. Here are some products I used when I use to detail.
Wax..... Mothers california gold paste wax,
Blue coral carnuba premium paste wax
Meguiars deep crystal carnuba wax
PRO carnuba wax
Now get out thier and shine that baby :wink:

Stealth Marine
12-02-2004, 07:44 AM
I'm looking to do some wintertime cleaning on my 99 Cheetah and was wondering what folks are using to clean and wax. The gel coat is in great shape, with no fade on the graphics. I'm just looking to run my electrical obital buffer over it with a cleaning "compound" and then follow it up with a good wax/polish. Any suggestions?
The Coleman Fuel / White Gas works wonders on HARD to remove stains and sometimes on the yellowing. We use gallons of the stuff on a regular basis to attack old upholstery. We also use the Mr. Clean Erasers by the Case...

Thunderbutt
12-11-2004, 02:45 PM
The Coleman Fuel / White Gas works wonders on HARD to remove stains and sometimes on the yellowing. We use gallons of the stuff on a regular basis to attack old upholstery. We also use the Mr. Clean Erasers by the Case...
I have some stains on my upholstery from a towel (maroon) and I used white gas and it didn't change. Do you have any other ideas

throwerb
12-11-2004, 04:09 PM
I have some stains on my upholstery from a towel (maroon) and I used white gas and it didn't change. Do you have any other ideas
Did you try the magic erasers?

rrrr
12-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Time for the match! :D

MOBrien
12-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Scotch Brite now makes a version of the magic eraser.....
What does Scotch Brite call it??

MOBrien
12-15-2004, 10:45 PM
oh yeah.....
white gas vs. acetone.
Also what about toluene? We used to use that for many different tasks when I worked at a custom hotrod upholstery shop. Or would that be a bad idea?
I'll be heading up a winter cleaning session over the holiday as well and the advice is much appreciated. Wanna do it right the first time and not have a second time in the same week. :(
Thanks!
fun...fun...fun :)

voodoomedman
12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
For wax I use 100% carnuba wax and I use the paste type, imo it lasts longer than the liquid. I use Mothers and have always had good luck with it. There are some good products you could find a a detailers supply shop. Here are some products I used when I use to detail.
Wax..... Mothers california gold paste wax,
Blue coral carnuba premium paste wax
Meguiars deep crystal carnuba wax
PRO carnuba wax
Now get out thier and shine that baby :wink:
I thought the 65 bucks per night for the condo included a free boat waxing. :D

cc322
12-17-2004, 06:35 AM
I thought the 65 bucks per night for the condo included a free boat waxing.
Just for you Jason :p

voodoomedman
12-17-2004, 10:23 AM
I thought the 65 bucks per night for the condo included a free boat waxing.
Just for you Jason :p
Allright. I'll swing it by next time we are in Havasu at the same time. :D

PC Rat
12-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Is there any way you can add color to wax, to help hide stress cracks in the gel coat?
Brian