PDA

View Full Version : starter problems

JET468
05-30-2001, 07:56 AM
I have a 96 commander 21LX with a dominator insert pump - I recently replaced the marine power gen 5, 454 (cooked by prior owner) with a built version of the same motor. I retained the stock wiring harness (marine power) and boat's orig. electrical system.
My problem is when I go to start the motor, the starter kicks in, spins the motor and will not disingage until the battery power is cut. I had the orig. starter rebuilt and the solonoid is new. The flywheel is orig and is not binding on the starter. I have chased the wiring and all seems in order as from the factory (this problem even occours when all the secondary wiring on the starter (minus the main power) is removed - there is a relay behind the carb on top of the in intake, but I didn't touch any of that wiring, all is factory -
- HELP - anyone out there have any ideas???? (short of ripping out all of commander's wiring and doing it "right"!!!

rstover1
05-30-2001, 09:07 AM
Almost every boat I've ever seen has two solonoids. That may be why my boat did that once because the starter got extremly wet

ponponracing
05-30-2001, 06:36 PM
I'm not 100% sure I clearly understand your question, but try what I suggest. First, try a few starter shims between the block and the starter itself. The starter's gears and the flywheel's gears are may be to tight. If nothing changed, have a look at your connections. The neg. from the battery is may be badly connected on the battery terminal or it's may be not tight enough on the block. A corroded ground contact will do the same.Clean it and try again.
You said you replaced the motor by a build version of the same motor. Does that mean that you are using the same block and flywheel?

froggystyle
06-05-2001, 10:14 PM
I'm with PonPon. I would wager you have a starter/flywheel issue.

Oldsquirt
06-06-2001, 07:02 AM
The possibility of a bad solenoid on starter also exists.With ALL wires disconnected from starter, apply B+ to the "S" terminal. Should hear and feel starter drive engage flywheel. Removing B+ should result in drive falling away from flywheel. If so you probably don't have starter gear/flywheel issue. Did you install the new solenoid yourself, or did it come mounted on the reman starter? Did the solenoid return spring get reinstalled? If not, the drive can stay engaged and the hold-in windings of solenoid will remain active even when "S" terminal wiring is disconnected. It is also possible that , when tightening wires to solenoid, that the terminals may have rotated, messing up the connections inside, again allowing the hold-in windings to stay on even with key off. Check it out and let us know what you find.
Craig