PDA

View Full Version : Super Stock Racing Association looses one of the best in Parker Az this weekend.

uclahater
11-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Please keep Gus's Family in your prayers. Gus drove the ss-501, and ss-80. You knew who Gus was because he always waived as he went by the fans :( :(
Jim Griffin

circleboatKIDD
11-27-2004, 10:19 AM
sad news, my thoughts and prayers are with his family. Gus was real nice guy

steelcomp
11-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Please keep Gus's Family in you prayers. Gus drove the ss-501, and ss-80. You knew who Gus was because he always waived as he went by the fans :( :(
Jim Griffin
Thanks, Jim. Will do that. Sorry to hear it.

voodooCanoe
11-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Very sad to hear. Prayers to all family and friends.

126driver
11-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Godspeed Gus.

flattie
11-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear that? Did it happen driving a boat?

CircleJerk
11-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Oh No!

Jordy
11-27-2004, 08:56 PM
:( :( :(

Kurtis500
11-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Thats terrible. I almost went this weekend. Unfortunatly, I still remember watching this type of thing happen in 96' at the same race.
Our prayers are with him and his family.
:frown: :frown:

kipperps28
11-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Gus was an outstanding driver and a good guy. I have nothing but respect for him. Our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-27-2004, 10:24 PM
I still can't believe this... :frown: Gus was a big hearted, positive, fun loving guy. A true gentleman and a fierce competitor. Our prayers go out to the Schade family and to those closest to him.
Gus will allways remain an inspiration to many including myself.
Jerry Griffin

dmontzsta
11-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Really sad to hear of a tragedy like this. Prayers go out to his family.

Sanger D
11-28-2004, 07:23 AM
VERY sad to hear this news. My heart and prayers go out to his family.GREAT friend ,competiter,family man.We should all hope to have so many graet things said about us when we go.If the family needs ANYTHING, I hope they will post so we could help.Loosing a friend is always a traggic loss.GOD bless him and his family.
Sanger D

taxman
11-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Does anyone know the familly???? We should start a fund for them to help!!!!!!

Racer277
11-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Terrible news.
We'll pray for his family.

CircleJerk
11-28-2004, 09:53 AM
Thanks Jim for letting us know! I am still in shock that one week after meeting this veteran driver who was so kind to me, a stranger, and chatted for an hour about racing past and present just like I was one of the CREW! Such a loss indeed! I am proud to have at least finally met one of the GREATS of my sport! Just to share with other board members, I was sitting at Phoenix right above all the SS teams watching his heat when he flew by the crowd raising his hand in a salute to us. He did this more than anyone else, even during the white flag lap! Then the remark was made from one of those below, "You've just seen one of the best"! I am so glad I had a chance to thank him for his kindness and masterful display of driving skill. Our prayers go out to the whole Super Stock family who are such a super bunch of caring individuals, really in need of our comfort and support at this time. May God Bless all those connected with Gus and grant them peace and comfort at this tragic time!

WILDERTHANU
11-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Got the news out there yesterday. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Morg
11-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Tragic news. My family's hope & prayers go out to Guss's family. May they have the strengrh to make it through.
John

Rexone
11-28-2004, 08:53 PM
I did not have the pleasure of knowing Gus but my condolences go out to his family. :frown:

jackpunx
11-29-2004, 09:12 AM
We were out there.. I did not know him but from what I understand he affected a lot of people in a positive way. I was really impressed with the donation jar.. when we left on sat they had about $1400 in it.
God speed to his family

lucky
11-29-2004, 09:20 AM
sorry to hear that - what a loss as a dad and family man - he will me missed - :frown: post an addy for help for the family

Moneypitt
11-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Super Stock Racing Association looses one of the best in Parker Az this weekend.
Gus Schade
As we get information on the services we will keep you informed.
There will be a viewing for Gus at Myers Mortuary 845 Washington Boulevard in Ogden, UT, Thursday evening, December 2 from 6 to 8 p.m. Friends and family may also visit with the family Friday morning prior to the services from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m. The services will be held on Friday, December 3, 11:00 a.m. at the 12th Ward Chapel, 125 East 5350 South in Washington Terrace.
you can send condolences to the family at www.myers-mortuary.com
Garth ''Gus'' Schade
November 25, 1946 - November 26, 2004
Birthplace: Ogden, UT
Resided In: Ogden, UT
Visitation: December 02, 2004
Service: December 03, 2004
Garth (Gus) Schade
OGDEN – Garth Phillip (Gus) Schade, the third son of Thelma Phillips and Armand W. Schade, passed away Friday, November 26, 2004. He died from injuries sustained in a boating accident in Parker, Arizona. He was 58 years old.
Gus was born on November 25, 1946 in Ogden, Utah where he grew up and lived. Gus was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and lived in the Washington Terrace 12th Ward. He served his country during the Viet Nam War and received an Honorable Discharge in December 1971 from the U.S. Army after his two-year term of service. Gus was a member of the American Power Boat Association. He was the consummate sprint boat racer, gentleman and individual. There is no equal as to how he conducted himself on and off the racecourse. If there ever was a role model to shape your driving career, Gus was that man.
Gus was currently employed by Staker Parson Companies. He worked there for 24 years. He also drove part-time for Albertson’s Food Stores.
Gus married Vickie Lane Allen on October 4, 1979, they were later divorced. He married Carolyn Hansen on December 16, 1989. He was a devoted Dad to six children; Neil, Brody, Chad, Angie, Suzy and Beccaman and was “Papa Gus” to seven grandchildren.
He is survived by his wife, Carolyn; his children, Neil and Kim Humphreys of Savannah, Georgia; Brody Schade of Ogden; Chad Allen of Ogden; Angela and Rory O’Neill of Indianapolis, Indiana; Suzanne and Brig Bramwell of West Point and Rebecca Roche of Ogden and his grandchildren. He is also survived by two brothers and their families; Dennis and Kathleen Schade, Chicago, Illinois and Bryan (his best friend) and Rhea Schade, Ogden.
Gus was preceded in death by his parents and his younger brother, Robert Neil.

grumpy501
11-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Thank you all for the kind words and comments you have written about our close friend, Gus. He will be missed by all that knew him.
Ken & Myrna
Team SS-501

BILLY.B
12-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Never got to meet Gus and wanted to walk up to him in Phoenix and tell him that I was a fan of his driving style and the fact that know matter what boat he got into drive he drove the "PROP" off it. From what by brother in-laws (v-drive video / & Hater have told me, along with ton's of other people he was a STAND UP GUY who never had a bad word to say about anybody. God always takes the good ones early. God speed Gus, and our condolence's go out to all your family and friends that were able to be part of his life .

flattie
12-04-2004, 07:51 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/709DSC02683.JPG
Is this Gus in the drivers seat?

Moneypitt
12-04-2004, 08:52 PM
No. Go to SSRAracing, there is a picture and some service info about Gus.

circleboatKIDD
12-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Heres a couple of Gus doing what he did best

BILLY.B
12-05-2004, 06:09 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/709DSC02683.JPG
Is this Gus in the drivers seat?No thats Dave Bryant in the old SS 80 and it appears to be getting ready for a ski race. Dave Rankin enters that boat in ski races from time to time.

flattie
12-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Billy I took this pic on Sat at the world finals he was giving a local news reporter a ride in a circle boat. She looked a lot diffrent when he brought her back!

Moneypitt
12-06-2004, 10:07 PM
This was posted on the SSRA web site, I brought it here for anyone that has not seen it........MP
To all of Gus’s friends, racing buddies and racing family, thank you! From the bottom of my heart, I want everyone to know how much I appreciate your concern for our family at Gus’s passing. Your tremendous love and appreciation for this great guy offers comfort I can not express.
It has been a clouded whirlwind since Kenny and Myrna Gronwald’s surprise visit that evening. They stood with their arms around each other in our living room while I ran to turn the water off in the kitchen. Totally unsuspecting the burden they carried, I was excited to see them. I think back now and I should have known the minute I opened the door. I can’t describe the look in their eyes. Myrna only had to say, “Carolyn,” and I knew. I can hardly imagine how difficult that was for them and I want them to know that my heart hurts for them as well. I appreciate Kenny and Myrna for being there and holding me up until Gus’s brother and wife arrived.
I want everyone to know that I have no resentment for Gus’s love for boat racing. It was his passion in life. To have taken that out of him would have to not totally love him and I did. I supported him whole heartedly even though it was getting more difficult to watch. Gordy Jennings’s last accident was the last time I was able to talk myself into calm.
We were trying to cut expenses (like everyone) and decided that I would not go to the races for a while, but Gus was planning on me going to Parker with him. I had no reason to stay home. We were riding down with Danny and Karen Loveless but something told me not to go. His brother decided to go but at the last minute called to say he had to work. We feel it was a blessing that neither Bryan nor I were there. But my heart goes out to all of you who were.
I believe that there is a time when we must all leave this world and we will not always have time to prepare. I reflect on the past month and there were certain events that I believe were indications that Gus’s time was close. My heart goes out to Danny and Karen and the last thing I want them to feel is responsibility. I believe that there is nothing that would have prevented this accident. To believe otherwise would undo everything Gus did right. His true love for the sport, his concern for his team and racing comrades that were lined up next to him in each heat and his sense to hold the boat together – somehow, he seemed to put things into sync and when he failed, it was his error, so he claimed. He loved what he was doing and I know in my heart that big guy went with the speed of life he loved so much; with that smile we will all miss and with a hearty wave goodbye.
To the younger racers, take notice in what this veteran racer demonstrated. He loved not only the thrill of the sport but opportunity to share his talent and skill. Gus was able to hold the boat on the water for so many years because he was committed. He was committed to his team, safety, being fair and certainly not last, his family. He was a professional driver on the road as well as the water. His judgment was not clouded because he was dedicated and sober. This was for your sake as well as his. In honor of this champion, don’t let the fierceness of competition nor the need to win overcome you to the point that you forget to enjoy the sport the way Gus did. Keep everything in perspective especially your family and the brotherhood boat racers share -- there is none like it.
I talked to Gus an hour or so before his accident. I never call during a race but that day I decided to call him, he was calling me at the same time. He was so excited for the next heat. He called me his girlfriend, I got to tell him I loved him and we got to say goodbye. How lucky am I?!
I was already missing him and now my heart is broken. I have lost my husband, my best friend. Our children have lost their Dad and Papa Gus won’t be coming home. I don’t know what Uncle Bryan will do without his best friend, his “little” brother. But in spite of our loss, I truly appreciate the loss each of you must feel. I hope you allow yourself time to mourn his passing and please don’t regret his love of boat racing. Race on! That’s what Gus would do.

BILLY.B
12-07-2004, 06:52 AM
This was posted on the SSRA web site, I brought it here for anyone that has not seen it........MP
To all of Gus’s friends, racing buddies and racing family, thank you! From the bottom of my heart, I want everyone to know how much I appreciate your concern for our family at Gus’s passing. Your tremendous love and appreciation for this great guy offers comfort I can not express.
It has been a clouded whirlwind since Kenny and Myrna Gronwald’s surprise visit that evening. They stood with their arms around each other in our living room while I ran to turn the water off in the kitchen. Totally unsuspecting the burden they carried, I was excited to see them. I think back now and I should have known the minute I opened the door. I can’t describe the look in their eyes. Myrna only had to say, “Carolyn,” and I knew. I can hardly imagine how difficult that was for them and I want them to know that my heart hurts for them as well. I appreciate Kenny and Myrna for being there and holding me up until Gus’s brother and wife arrived.
I want everyone to know that I have no resentment for Gus’s love for boat racing. It was his passion in life. To have taken that out of him would have to not totally love him and I did. I supported him whole heartedly even though it was getting more difficult to watch. Gordy Jennings’s last accident was the last time I was able to talk myself into calm.
We were trying to cut expenses (like everyone) and decided that I would not go to the races for a while, but Gus was planning on me going to Parker with him. I had no reason to stay home. We were riding down with Danny and Karen Loveless but something told me not to go. His brother decided to go but at the last minute called to say he had to work. We feel it was a blessing that neither Bryan nor I were there. But my heart goes out to all of you who were.
I believe that there is a time when we must all leave this world and we will not always have time to prepare. I reflect on the past month and there were certain events that I believe were indications that Gus’s time was close. My heart goes out to Danny and Karen and the last thing I want them to feel is responsibility. I believe that there is nothing that would have prevented this accident. To believe otherwise would undo everything Gus did right. His true love for the sport, his concern for his team and racing comrades that were lined up next to him in each heat and his sense to hold the boat together – somehow, he seemed to put things into sync and when he failed, it was his error, so he claimed. He loved what he was doing and I know in my heart that big guy went with the speed of life he loved so much; with that smile we will all miss and with a hearty wave goodbye.
To the younger racers, take notice in what this veteran racer demonstrated. He loved not only the thrill of the sport but opportunity to share his talent and skill. Gus was able to hold the boat on the water for so many years because he was committed. He was committed to his team, safety, being fair and certainly not last, his family. He was a professional driver on the road as well as the water. His judgment was not clouded because he was dedicated and sober. This was for your sake as well as his. In honor of this champion, don’t let the fierceness of competition nor the need to win overcome you to the point that you forget to enjoy the sport the way Gus did. Keep everything in perspective especially your family and the brotherhood boat racers share -- there is none like it.
I talked to Gus an hour or so before his accident. I never call during a race but that day I decided to call him, he was calling me at the same time. He was so excited for the next heat. He called me his girlfriend, I got to tell him I loved him and we got to say goodbye. How lucky am I?!
I was already missing him and now my heart is broken. I have lost my husband, my best friend. Our children have lost their Dad and Papa Gus won’t be coming home. I don’t know what Uncle Bryan will do without his best friend, his “little” brother. But in spite of our loss, I truly appreciate the loss each of you must feel. I hope you allow yourself time to mourn his passing and please don’t regret his love of boat racing. Race on! That’s what Gus would do. Unbeliveable......Thanks for putting this in here Ray.

Kurtis500
12-07-2004, 07:41 AM
VERY NICE... That took strength for her to write.

LeE ss13
12-07-2004, 07:45 AM
That is the most difficult thing I have ever read.

Hallett
12-07-2004, 08:13 AM
my heart goes out to the family, we will always remeber gus
and what he brought to the sport of racing, may you rest
in peace.

Schiada76
12-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Ray, that post needs a warning to grab a tissue before reading. :(
Thanks for posting it.

Jetboatguru
12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
I had goosebumps reading that letter! I never got to meet Gus but I never heard anything but positive things about him. Somebody told me that Gus was an Ambassador for the sport of Circle racing. I see why.
Tony Scarlata

Her454
12-07-2004, 10:12 AM
That brought tears to my eyes. What a truly unselfish, wonderful lady.

Jordy
12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
No thats Dave Bryant in the old SS 80 and it appears to be getting ready for a ski race.
That's a local news girl in the boat. They had a whole segment on the news on Saturday morning, including her riding around the lake in the boat.
That's a really great letter. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Dave Sammons
12-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm usually not at a loss for words, and consider myself to be a pretty tough guy, but, that letter has done me in. The emotions that overcame me as I read it, I cannot describe. The strength and love that it took to write it and the feelings shared about her husband and his boat racing family should cut us all right to the core. While I knew neither her or Gus, we as racers, unfortunately have known others in the same situation. This letter should give us all assurance that the Lord can give comfort to us in any circumstance that we encounter here on Earth. God bless Carolyn...Godspeed Gus. To quote from the letter..."Race On!"

Moneypitt
12-07-2004, 08:58 PM
If you think it was tough to read the first time, read it again. It gets harder each time. What a wonderful, wonderful woman.

grumpy501
12-08-2004, 10:54 AM
http://superstockracingassoc.com./gus.htm

FlatRacer
12-17-2004, 05:03 PM
I've been away from the flatbottom sites for awhile, and I'm saddened to hear of Gus' death.
It occurs to me, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that of all the guys we've lost in flatbottom circle racing in the last ten years, most, if not all have died at Parker. So, what is it about Parker that's killing these guys? Or is my question just way off base?
Eric

rossdbos
12-17-2004, 05:53 PM
"I've been away from the flatbottom sites for awhile, and I'm saddened to hear of Gus' death.
It occurs to me, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that of all the guys we've lost in flatbottom circle racing in the last ten years, most, if not all have died at Parker. So, what is it about Parker that's killing these guys? Or is my question just way off base?"
Eric
12-08-2004 06:54 PM
Eric:
Unfortunately I have been the promoter/race director for the past 6 years for the So. Cal. Speedboat Club and have had the dubious distinction of having these fatalities under my watch. While it's easy to blame the body of water, as "jinxed" I look at the overall picture and for the last 58 years my club has been putting on races at this very site. Yes, there have been fatalities but overall no more than at other events throughout the years. Moreover, we as a racing group need to look at safety innovations as Gus's accident and many, many others needn't have been fatalities. So while I don't have all the answers and can't speak to the "voodoo" aspect I can tell you that steps are being taken to rectify this situation that plagues all boat racing.
First, the Grand National Racing Series has adopted in it's rules mandatory helmet restraints to go along with the "doughnut". Maybe this will stop the unusual amount of helmets that have been pulled or popped off the drivers- 5 out of 6 accidents (including Gus's) at Parker that weekend.
Next, several top teams are in the process of encapsulating their boats and I have set a lofty goal of having at least 2-3 boats (both Pro-Stock and Grand Nationals) ready by April.
As of this posting I just spoke with my Nostalgia Endurance/Flatbottom rep and he is in favor of mandating helmet restraints on for the Nostalgia's.
I am very sad that some people choose to blame the location when there was absolutely nothing to do with the accidents- (water conditions were good and no wind) instead we as a group need to look into the root causes and ways to help the drivers survive a single and multiple boat accident.
I am speaking with SFI to discuss specs and hope to have this done shortly.
So in conclusion, while I have no explanation as to the unusually high spate of incidents at Parker I still believe that the location is one of the best we have and by working with the drivers and groups we will see safer yet just as competitive racing very soon- hopefully April 2 & 3, 2005.
Regards,
Ross

Moneypitt
12-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Ross, well put. In the discussion about Parker and the accidents that have occured there, I overheard some drivers talking on Saturday about the water being too good. It seems that the excellent conditions lure drivers into "over driving" the water. It looks so good that the hidden dangers suprise drivers and then its too late. The speeds these boats are running now, the close, side by side competition, and the added "too good" water lure, all add up to the tragedies we're seeing and hearing about way to often at Parker. I've got to admit, after this last race, the capsules are looking better.........MP

DUCKY
12-17-2004, 10:47 PM
...To the younger racers, take notice in what this veteran racer demonstrated. He loved not only the thrill of the sport but opportunity to share his talent and skill. Gus was able to hold the boat on the water for so many years because he was committed. .
I seems like yesterday that we were at San Diego and Gus was sharing some veteran driving tips with my sister-in-law (SS33), and told her to "stay right next to him" in the next heat. He proceded to win that heat by a very comfortable margin.
It's memories of Gus' skill, commitment, and professionalism like this that will bring smiles, and at the same time tears to everyone who knew him for years to come.
Godspeed Gus!

Moneypitt
12-18-2004, 12:30 AM
The above quote was in fact posted here by me. However the words were from Carolyn, Gus' widow, in an open letter to his boat racing family.(posted above in this thread). If you haven't read the entire letter you're really missing something. MP

uclahater
12-18-2004, 12:47 AM
My first race was going to be parker, but not now. Ross over the last 5 years where have more lives been takin than there :confused: I;ve personally watched 2, and have not seen the other 3
Some places have bad Karma, and Parker is one of them. Its time to move that race to a different part of the river or a different location all together
Im thankful for Billy B finally making me realize this, and Gus just put the Iceing on the cake.
Everyone jumps to conclussions, and goes right back to the Capsole BS.
As far as the letter goes :D what a great women to let her husband live his dreams, and be happy with him doing it. I hope my wife will have the same attitude as I get closer to getting in the seat of mine :D
Just my .02
Jim Griffin

grumpy501
12-18-2004, 07:44 AM
I have been going to Parker since 1974, 30 years and what a great place to have a race and what a great place to go boating. But boat racing need to come to an end there. After they put up the casino and changed the river it appears that the river in no longer a safe place to race flat bottom. I know that boat racing will go on in Parker but it will probably be with out the super stocks.

FlatRacer
12-18-2004, 10:20 AM
The speeds these boats are running now, the close, side by side competition, and the added "too good" water lure, all add up to the tragedies we're seeing and hearing about way to often at Parker. I've got to admit, after this last race, the capsules are looking better.........MP
Well, you'll never find my ass in a capsule (didn't save my old friend Hipwell, did it?), but has there been any talk of reducing speeds (AND COSTS!!!) by adopting a spec or crate motor?
My biggest assache about racing was not the travel or the time but the cost of being competitive in the engine dept. Wallet racing holds no appeal for me. If the costs were brought down to a reasonable level, I (and a lot more dropouts) would return to racing, but right now, it's just fiscally insane.
FR

Jetboatguru
12-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Well, you'll never find my ass in a capsule (didn't save my old friend Hipwell, did it?), but has there been any talk of reducing speeds (AND COSTS!!!) by adopting a spec or crate motor?
My biggest assache about racing was not the travel or the time but the cost of being competitive in the engine dept. Wallet racing holds no appeal for me. If the costs were brought down to a reasonable level, I (and a lot more dropouts) would return to racing, but right now, it's just fiscally insane.
FR
To compare what you are doing to what John Hipwell was doing is just assinine. Your 110mph straightaway speed to his 240, yeah that is close. What would your odds in surviving a crash at 110 in a capsule vs w/out?
If your reasoning behind not wanting a capsule is because of lack of safety, you my friend are a dumbass. If it is because of the lack of vision, I can understand.

Moneypitt
12-18-2004, 11:28 AM
I mentioned capsules because "they're looking" better every time there is an accident. I spoke with "Capsule Skip" down in Louisanna, he has a one track mind, MANDATORY capsules! I don't. Although the safety features, pros and cons, do bear some discussion, it should still be a drivers decision, period! The cost of re working boats to use them is prohibitive beyond most racers budgets. How can the powers that run boat racing help in this area? Reduced membership fees,and race entry fees would take a long time to pay off. Who is making these capsules for retro fit into flatbottoms? If that is even possible. As Guru said, wallet racing isn't fun, and believe me, the 89 team knows that first hand...Crate motors, claiming rules, (like stock cars use), and enforcement of rules can and will slow things down in some classes but not others. SS has jumped in performance based on SSRA/APBA rule changes, while the GN teams have been limited and consolidated. The PS rules haven't changed, just increased costs to stay abreast with the "Joneses". The Ks had to get away from APBA because of the capsule rule, a move that took away one of the most popular classes to the spectators at circle races. I know there are people doing their best to promote this sport, I also know that some sponsers shy away from the circle boats (Inboards) because of the dangers associated with them. Are capsules the answer? Maybe. BUT it has to be left up to the drivers/owners. AND we must find an inexpensive way to bring them in........I wrench, not drive, its not my decision to make..............MP

Moneypitt
12-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Kidd, Life goes on. The races there are among the longest running in any boat racing venue. I heard here the river changed because of the casino being built. I don't know if the river actually changed or it just seems like it. Its not haunted, jinxed, or evil. The races will go on, just as those that died there probably would want them to. ......................................MP

rossdbos
12-18-2004, 08:07 PM
"Heres a question to the "BIG Time" promoter that puts the race on, how many people are going to be killed there before uall quit promoting this race? Shit a couple days later u guys already had two races schedule for 2005 there, I would have thought u might look into not runnin there anymore. justmy 02."
Kidd:
1st- Never claimed to be "big time Promoter" and I find your tone insulting. Maybe you should "step up" to the plate and start promoting. I would love to see your happy a@@ put up with 1/10th of the b.s. that I and my club have to and then get sh@$ from ungrateful racers like yourself. Talk is cheap!
2nd- As I mentioned, I am saddened by Gus, Lance, Mike, Paul,Mark, Gene, Jesse, Tom, and I'm sure I'm missing someone of the recent past. However, it is foolish to blame the location when the water conditions, wind conditions were not neccesarily a factor. It's just plain childish. Why not look at the
root causes of what is killing our drivers in SINGLE BOAT ACCIDENTS? MASSIVE HEAD TRAUMA- get a clue - the drivers need some type of protection. Before you start bashing me remember that I organized and galvanized the entire region 11 & 12 inboards flats and V's and threatened to pull us out of APBA and race "outlaw" unless they changed the capsule rule. I still think the rule as was written was well intended but ill concieved. I understood your's and your fellow flat/V plight and took the fight to the Inboard V.P. first then to the BOD and successfully (along with Mickey S., Dave R., Paul W. Ron M.) got them to change the wording from "mandatory" to "reccomended" . So with that in mind now you can get a better insight into my thought process.
Next, If you don't think there is a problem just keep on racing. I have already taken steps to insure that APBA will not have a "knee jerk" reaction to Gus's tragedy. Robin has assured me that she know's what I and several teams are up to and won't put any more pressure from APBA.
Time to look at the facts: over 90% of all flat/V driver injury is head trauma
(even Dennis R. sustained a concussion)
Fact: Over 98% of all fatalities in flat/v racing are attributable to massive head trauma.
So go on keep blaming Parker and the Bluewater, thats the intelligent thing to do rather than face the fact that we need to protect the drivers better.
Again, I am working with people that want to make changes because they themselves feel it's time. I wish to reiterate that I am in NO WAY mandating capsules. Rather I want to have these drivers/boats show up and beat your a$$ in head's up competition (no inside land advantage b.s. either) to dispell the myth that capsule boats don't work.
Last, remember John Whitsett's crash in 1999 or 2000 (I can't remember the year) in his capsule KV/GN. Well, John's idea's about safety in capsules (cutting a hole in the top and not wearing his air system) were not effective but in the grand scheme of things he sustained NO injuries. Yes, he almost drowned but that was due to several things- 1.) lack of proper foam/flotation 2.) cutting a huge hole in the top of the capsule 3.) not wearing his air system. But at the end of the day he survived and I got SCSC better rescue- NJBA.
BTW, the races I have scheduled in '05 (which were negotiated over 8 months ago) have no Super Stocks as of this writing so I think your safe! Good luck and keep on blaming Parker, Rio, Ross or whatever makes you feel better!
Ross :wink:

126driver
12-18-2004, 08:33 PM
I, for one, commend Ross for an excellent job promoting OUR sport; we need more guys like him. What we don't need is another assinine knee-jerk reaction after the fact. I don't know what the deal is with Parker - too-good water conditions, crappy, hidden conditions because of the Casino, bad mojo - whatever. Boat racing will go on at Parker - were there is an opportunity to race, some guys will race. Each driver needs to decide whether or not to race there, and that's that. It f'n sucks to no end that we have to continue to endure these tragedies, but, the simple, obvious fact is that boat racing is very dangerous. When I very first started, Gil Suiter, an experienced driver and owner as well as a high school friend of my dad's whom I had asked to help me out, sat me and my dad down and told me that I would either get killed myself or lose many friends if I stayed in the sport. It was hard to even fathom at the time, I was so excited to get into this sport, but, Gil had been there, done that, and...he was right. Helmet restraints, donuts, capsules, whatever. Each driver has to decide what kind of safety equipment they feel is right for them. Or choose not to race.

gnRacer98
12-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Where do you guy's dream up these hocus-pocus-bad-karma-curse fantasies?? Do you still believe in the tooth fairy and santa claus too? Sprint boat racing is facing a serious problem that threatens the future of this sport. RUNNING AWAY from Parker does NOTHING to resolve that problem, it will only RELOCATE the problem. :hammer2:

Moneypitt
12-18-2004, 10:17 PM
This thread was started to Honor Gus, and should remain that way.
Can we move this discussion over to the thread I started about capsules.

rossdbos
12-19-2004, 11:14 AM
I too will honor what this thread was about.
Circleboatkidd first, sign your name and expose yourself like all other real racers unless you are one of those that hides behind his "call sign",
2nd- pm, call or meet me in Parker as I'd love to speak to you.
Ross

FlatRacer
12-19-2004, 11:41 AM
If your reasoning behind not wanting a capsule is because of lack of safety, you my friend are a dumbass. If it is because of the lack of vision, I can understand.
The reasons I'm against capsules have absolutely EVERYTHING to do with safety. If you really want to know, it will take some time, but I'm willing to go over it point by point AGAIN for the sake of education.
See you at the new capsule thread.
Eric

rossdbos
12-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Eric:
I am interested in what you have to say, however please meet us over in the thread "capsules" to discuss. See you over there.
Ross