PDA

View Full Version : New Cat purchase info

Rocket-J
11-27-2004, 12:16 PM
About a year ago I ask this forum for info on purchasing a new Cat. Thanks for all the help.
I purchased a new HTM SS-24 with the 565cid/650hp and Imco SC drive. I love this boat. Great performance and fuel milage. I know it is small compaired to a lot of your boats on this forum but the interior is larger than most and it fits in my garage.
Some things I learned with this purchase could help other first time new boat buyers. DO NOT HURRY any part of the process. The day you make the order, plan on spending a whole day at the boat companies office. Cover everything twice. Look at fine print.
On the day of delivery, do not let the sparkle and shine blind you on details that are easy to miss. Do not get rushed on any detail before you sign the papers. I had many tiny items that took months to repair. If you live a long way from the boat company, you better be able to do these repairs yourself, or quit boating until it is fixed.
My biggest problem was with my trailer. HTM's trailers are built in house. They come with no spare or loading winch. Mine appeared to be baked enamel rather than powder coat as advertised. It smelt like paint, I could be wrong. I had to re-weld several cracks in the first two months. The tires were rated for 1380lbs each on a trailer with a 7000lb rating. The boats bow hit the bow hook mount damaging the gel coat. I had to rebuilt that assembley, install a winch and spare tire. I also had to replace two bunks that had big knots in the wood and broke.
For the man with a small boat budget that wants to boat with the middle sized Hi Performance Boats, my SS-24 gets the job done at $96K.
Thanks to all for the help you gave me. Good luck to the next purchaser. Al

boatslayer
11-27-2004, 06:15 PM
yea , we had no problems at all when we bought our HTM
have u been to lake nacimiento , i think i have seen ur boat there once or twice

Dawn Patrol
11-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Rocket-J,
Let see a picture of your Boat, post a couple.

Rocket-J
11-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Yes I have been to Lake Naciamento but not with this boat. Maybe we met at Lake Berryessa or on the Delta.
I don't know how to post photos on here. I am lucky to have an avatar. Al

Rocket-J
11-27-2004, 08:43 PM
What year did you buy your HTM? Was Steve still there?
They just started with this new trailer last year. The boat trailer I looked at before I bought was a different manufacturer. I didn't have an option. Al

Dawn Patrol
11-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Here are a couple of Pics of Rocket-J Boat.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5989Rocket-J_-1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5989Rocket-J-2-med.jpg
Nice Rig.

Rocket-J
11-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks, DP

boatslayer
11-27-2004, 10:38 PM
What year did you buy your HTM? Was Steve still there?
They just started with this new trailer last year. The boat trailer I looked at before I bought was a different manufacturer. I didn't have an option. Al
we bought it in 2002 and piced it up january 4th 2003 ,,, no steve wasnt there