PDA

View Full Version : The best of both worlds? My new flattbottom?

roostwear
04-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Or maybe the worst of both worlds, but either way, a flatbottom jet will be cool. 1966 Stevens, FE motor and Berk. Don't look for it to get out of it's own way any time soon.
http://www.roostwear.com/email/stevensflat.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
04-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Does that boat have 3 on the tree ??? What is that thing on the helm ???

maxwedge
04-17-2006, 01:34 PM
What is that thing on the helm ???
My guess would be a redneck ski tow made from an old bow saw. What do I win if I'm right? Opps... I was looking at the engine. That thing on the steering hub is obviously a collum mount diverter handle :D
Cool boat by the way, don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't a V-drive, at least not in person anyway. :cool:

IMPATIENT 1
04-17-2006, 01:41 PM
nope looks like turn signal,lol. cool ass boat!

Squirtin Thunder
04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
That ski tow looks evil !!!
Road Warriors left over.

old rigger
04-17-2006, 01:48 PM
It's the ST control. :)
We did them like that on the first handful of Advantage jet partycats too back in the late 80's.
pretty cool find Mike. I haven't come across that article on the first Stevens jet, but on the other hand you never said if you wanted it or not.

roostwear
04-17-2006, 01:59 PM
I didn't get back with you cuz I didn't want to waste your time if it didn't happen. Still isn't a done deal, but it's close. Actually, I double checked and it's 1969, so it's a whole 3 years newer! Now if I can just swap the motor from the Mustang, it may just move! This one will be the "show" boat since it won't be used as much as the Advantage. Being on the trailer must come from it's flatbottom v-drive roots. :D

Squirtin Thunder
04-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Being on the trailer must come from it's flatbottom v-drive roots. :D
Now thats too funny !!! :cool:

460 jus getn it
04-17-2006, 02:29 PM
I didn't get back with you cuz I didn't want to waste your time if it didn't happen. Still isn't a done deal, but it's close. Actually, I double checked and it's 1969, so it's a whole 3 years newer! Now if I can just swap the motor from the Mustang, it may just move! This one will be the "show" boat since it won't be used as much as the Advantage. Being on the trailer must come from it's flatbottom v-drive roots.. :Di dont care who you are thats funny right there.

DUNDUN
04-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I've always wondered about flatbottom squirters.. how do they handle? dont understand how they can get on plane and still keep the jet in the water. enlighten me.

IMPATIENT 1
04-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I've always wondered about flatbottom squirters.. how do they handle? dont understand how they can get on plane and still keep the jet in the water. enlighten me.
looks like it has cavation plates for that,or maybe they're ride plates. gettin on plane would take a split second with a flatbottom, i'm sure it's got enough shoe to suck up plenty h2o.

roostwear
04-17-2006, 03:13 PM
An old post I found said they turn terrible and beat the crap out of you. The engine (and I would imagine the intake) sit too far forward to really air it out much, so the speed will be limited I'm sure. I don't want this to go fast, just something a little unusual to cruise in. It's a 19, but the extra foot was probably used up by the engine!

old rigger
04-17-2006, 03:43 PM
can't find the article I had in mind, but I did find another little test done in 1964 with a Stevens flat jet and a Carlson jet too, both running 63 Plymouths, Jardine headers and Berkeley pumps. Test was down at Marine Stadium. The Stevens ran through the lights at 68 and the tunnel bottomed Carlson ran over 70. Both boats were rigged with the intake sittin' where we're used to the engine sitting today and only the nozzel sticking out past the transom. These were the first two jets to appear from either builder. The Tahiti, a v-bottom, soon followed and it too ran 68 and change with Roger Weiman driving.
70 in a jet in 1964, no hardware at all to speak of...most guys today would kill to go that fast. :cry:
Stevens...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/stevens1964.jpg
Carlson...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/stevens19642.jpg
Carlson bottom...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/stevens3.jpg

dmontzsta
04-17-2006, 04:04 PM
I didn't get back with you cuz I didn't want to waste your time if it didn't happen. Still isn't a done deal, but it's close. Actually, I double checked and it's 1969, so it's a whole 3 years newer! Now if I can just swap the motor from the Mustang, it may just move! This one will be the "show" boat since it won't be used as much as the Advantage. Being on the trailer must come from it's flatbottom v-drive roots. :D
:)
How can it be the best of both worlds? it is missing a prop. You will not be able to air it out, cause you need the rear in the water for intake.
sorry, just had to throw two jabs back cause of your uppercut, I couldnt go down like a chump. :)

superdave013
04-17-2006, 04:07 PM
ok i'll be the asshole. why would you buy a boat that has zero chance of any performance?

roostwear
04-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Ya know, if the nozzle is the same dimensionally as the newer ones, I'm thinking a diverter would go on without a lot of hassle :idea:

old rigger
04-17-2006, 05:26 PM
ok i'll be the asshole. why would you buy a boat that has zero chance of any performance?
To each his own I guess.
Let's look at it another way, say he drops his big engine out of his mustang into this ol stevens. Should run 70, hell, they ran the first one rigged almost that fast 42 years ago, so lets say he runs 70. What'll he have? He'll have a boat that runs as fast as dmonztas old Lavey v-drive flatbottom and he'll have just about the same ride. :)
I mean, it's not like he's going to buy the thing and then spend the next, what, 5-6 years puttin' it together. Which reminds me, how's the performance on your Schiada? ya know I'm just kiddin' ya dave. :p

malcolm
04-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Cuz it's different! :)

superdave013
04-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Ok Rich, I deserved that one. Just letting ya know I can take it too. :)

Squirtin Thunder
04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Ya know, if the nozzle is the same dimensionally as the newer ones, I'm thinking a diverter would go on without a lot of hassle :idea:
Mike those Berk "A" pumps are split bowls. They have one greas fitting instead of a pair of oil holes. You coul put a snoot and a Place Diverter on it no problem.

roostwear
04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Rich makes a good point Dave. For me, boating isn't racing. I don't have to have the fastest, most bling trailer queen. It's about liking what you have.... fast or slow. Why do people buy the old Chris-Craft's? Or Lavey's? Maybe they appreciate the boat, not the speed. My lifestyle is about river boating not racing.

malcolm
04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
That's a '69, huh?
Looks around the same vintage as the Stevens I picked up last year. Still don't have any paperwork for it yet, not sure what it is (except that it's 16 feet).
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/stevensrear.JPG
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/stevensfrt.JPG

dmontzsta
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
To each his own I guess.
Let's look at it another way, say he drops his big engine out of his mustang into this ol stevens. Should run 70, hell, they ran the first one rigged almost that fast 42 years ago, so lets say he runs 70. What'll he have? He'll have a boat that runs as fast as dmonztas old Lavey v-drive flatbottom and he'll have just about the same ride. :)
I mean, it's not like he's going to buy the thing and then spend the next, what, 5-6 years puttin' it together. Which reminds me, how's the performance on your Schiada? ya know I'm just kiddin' ya dave. :p
Except I had a BONE STOCK 390 Ford. Probably only had around 300hp.
I dig the flatty jet though, it is definately a cool deal. One of a kind.

Tahiti350
04-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Okay, so you throw in a 454 FE (427 crank/428block combo) with a fairly mild tune-up, and get the loader set-up, and have some fun with it. there was a post on here a few months ago about some FE boat stuff for sale, including a couple of intake manifolds. I'd jump at a set-up like that, if I could swing the $$green. That's cool

dmontzsta
04-17-2006, 07:34 PM
I have a set of FE jet boat headers, I would let them go cheap, they need re-coating. :)

roostwear
04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
This one I want to polish. I don't know the specifics of the motor, but it's ok, I'm just going to polish the original hardware and putt. I'll see what I can do to the setup, but it's not likely I'll go ape shit power-wise. Just see where I can take it with what it came with, and just a little technology.

blown428fe
04-17-2006, 07:59 PM
An old post I found said they turn terrible and beat the crap out of you. The engine (and I would imagine the intake) sit too far forward to really air it out much, so the speed will be limited I'm sure. I don't want this to go fast, just something a little unusual to cruise in. It's a 19, but the extra foot was probably used up by the engine!
Roostwear- I had a 68 Wieman that was setup like, the whole pump was in the boat and just the nossel stuck out the back. A diverter will fit but the cable brakets will have to be modified. I ended up setting everthing back 13" to get some lift. Ill look for some pics. They ride like caddys (smooth / sturdy), I wish I still had mine. It was FE powered also.

wsuwrhr
04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
And then he'll have a bitchen mustang that is worthless.
Brian
To each his own I guess.

Big Kahunaa
04-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I have 2x4 intake and mag that would look pefect in that boat

Brooski
04-17-2006, 08:54 PM
That's a '69, huh?
Looks around the same vintage as the Stevens I picked up last year. Still don't have any paperwork for it yet, not sure what it is (except that it's 16 feet).
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/stevensrear.JPG
Boy, this brings back memories. My first boat was a 68 Stevens 16 ft jet, small block powered. Looks like the same hull. Rode like hell in rough water, plus was very easy to spin out. I would love to have it back to play with. Last I knew it lived in Santa Maria. It was black and gold. Sold it to buy my first Southwind. I even took that boat out on Mohave and Havasu. What was I thinking...

old rigger
04-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Except I had a BONE STOCK 390 Ford. Probably only had around 300hp.
I dig the flatty jet though, it is definately a cool deal. One of a kind.
OK, bad example on my part.
I just knew that if I said (with proof) that an old flatbottom jet would run as fast as an old flatbottom v-drive, I'd get flack from it. :)

dmontzsta
04-18-2006, 06:46 AM
OK, bad example on my part.
I just knew that if I said (with proof) that an old flatbottom jet would run as fast as an old flatbottom v-drive, I'd get flack from it. :)
Hey, you would know what was in the motor, it came from your garage. lol.

old rigger
04-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Mike those Berk "A" pumps are split bowls. They have one greas fitting instead of a pair of oil holes. You coul put a snoot and a Place Diverter on it no problem.
I don't know about this Mike. I'd like to see a picture of the transom first. As you know the way the pump is split and mounted to the boat boat is way different than anything seen today. Maybe a place diverter would bolt up, but I'm curious about the droop. Maybe ST is right, but I'd like to see a shot or two of the pump. Got any?

old rigger
04-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Hey, you would know what was in the motor, it came from your garage. lol.
I didn't know you ever used that engine. That thing had some cool history to it. :)

superdave013
04-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Old rigger, no one had a cooler vintage flatbottom then your Buck Smith. It was alot like Roosts in the fact that it's ultra cool, classic and something you just don't see anymore. With that said, why did you sell that boat again?
As far as my schiada and taking so long. Well I think I spent more time putting a few hoses together for Mike's t bucket then I worked on my boat in 2 years. I've been getting a spark back and I try to drag it down to the shop on Saturdays to tinker with it. Like Mike's new project it's just a lake cruiser too. I stoped that race stuff when I sold my flat.

roostwear
04-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Well I think I spent more time putting a few hoses together for Mike's t bucket then I worked on my boat in 2 years.
Holy crap, my life has turned into producing one trailer queen after another! Drag it back in the shop and get it finished. You don't want Rich having more ammo next year do ya?
Just to clarify, I can appreciate all boats, it's just that speed isn't a prerequisite. Fast or slow, cool is cool but ugly goes to the (balsa) core.

dmontzsta
04-18-2006, 07:26 AM
I didn't know you ever used that engine. That thing had some cool history to it. :)
yeah, I checked the bearings all out and the thing was FRESH. So it was dropped in, then I got the set of heads from you and bolted those right on, I did not do a thing and the compression was dead nuts all across the board, it fired up and ran all day. In fact, I just talked to the current owner and he has not touched it either, he has had it around a year now. Good stuff.

old rigger
04-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Old rigger, no one had a cooler vintage flatbottom then your Buck Smith. It was alot like Roosts in the fact that it's ultra cool, classic and something you just don't see anymore. With that said, why did you sell that boat again?
For a brief moment moment in time I was stupid enough to convinced myself that I could handle the ride of a flatbottom, not once but twice. Gave the Smith away and bought that '66 Howard then promptly realized, 'cause I'm so quick I guess, that I really shouldn't be in a flatbottom with my back the way it is now. To be honest, when it gets rough, I get beat up just as bad in the spectra 20 we have now...I guess I should just get a pontoon boat, install a killer stereo, a blender, some nice seats, a 4 stroke OB engine and call it a day.
Sad part is, if I ever came across my dads first boat, a flatbottom, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. lol

superdave013
04-18-2006, 08:31 AM
that's kinda my point. They are great race boats but the #1 worst river boat in this day and age. I call them Monday boats because they are so limmited on Saturday and Sunday.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not a hater and I love seeing restored old skool cool. I'm sure Roost will do this one up right too.
No way is that 20' spectra beating you up near as bad. Keep in mind when your getting beat up in the 20' that flat would prolly be sinking.
I hear you though, everytime a nice cole or hondo comes up for sale I start looking for a spot to put it. Even though I know I don't have the space or time for it. True sickness I guess. lol

roostwear
04-18-2006, 08:32 AM
When it gets rough, I just shut off and float, or find a beach to hang out on. The body just doesn't tolerate being beat on the way it used to. I'll venture a guess that this flat will only be seen on the river on weekdays.......

old rigger
04-18-2006, 08:33 AM
yeah, I checked the bearings all out and the thing was FRESH. So it was dropped in, then I got the set of heads from you and bolted those right on, I did not do a thing and the compression was dead nuts all across the board, it fired up and ran all day. In fact, I just talked to the current owner and he has not touched it either, he has had it around a year now. Good stuff.
That's amazing. The guy told me it had almost zero hours on it since he built the boat in '65-'66, guess he wasn't blowing smoke. What did I tell you, I don't remember, did it come out of a wrecked, new at the time, T bird or galaxie? Must have been a 'bird. The intake manifold, which I still have, was off a galaxie interceptor. Pretty cool piece too, the carb mount is offset by an inch or so. I don't remember why it was designed like that, 058 told me the history of it at one time. All the runners are longer on one side than the other.
The carb was off a wrecked new '66 BBC vette, kept that too. :) This guy must have owned a wrecking yard back in the day.

dmontzsta
04-18-2006, 08:58 AM
That's amazing. The guy told me it had almost zero hours on it since he built the boat in '65-'66, guess he wasn't blowing smoke. What did I tell you, I don't remember, did it come out of a wrecked, new at the time, T bird or galaxie? Must have been a 'bird. The intake manifold, which I still have, was off a galaxie interceptor. Pretty cool piece too, the carb mount is offset by an inch or so. I don't remember why it was designed like that, 058 told me the history of it at one time. All the runners are longer on one side than the other.
The carb was off a wrecked new '66 BBC vette, kept that too. :) This guy must have owned a wrecking yard back in the day.
You said it was out of a T-Bird, if I remember correctly.

Cheap Thrills
04-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Strange , My "A" Pump has a pair of holes on the bowl. It may have been replaced in the past I dont know. the only thing I don't like it that it doesn't have a seal on the back side of the thrust bearing.
C.T. :wink:

Squirtin Thunder
04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't know about this Mike. I'd like to see a picture of the transom first. As you know the way the pump is split and mounted to the boat boat is way different than anything seen today. Maybe a place diverter would bolt up, but I'm curious about the droop. Maybe ST is right, but I'd like to see a shot or two of the pump. Got any?
I was not meaning a droop, being that the bottom is flat, I think one of Duanes snoots would work best.

Squirtin Thunder
04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Strange , My "A" Pump has a pair of holes on the bowl. It may have been replaced in the past I dont know. the only thing I don't like it that it doesn't have a seal on the back side of the thrust bearing.
C.T. :wink:
My bad, some of the newer "A" pumps had oil holes !!!

roostwear
04-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Not yet, but I'll take some in a day or so.
It'll be fun trying to figure out what works with the truly antique crap. It'll all hinge on if the flange is the same as the split bowl flange. I would think I'm going to need SOME way to change the thrust angle. A diverter would be best I would think.... trying to work around nozzle angles and wedging it would be a PIA.

old rigger
04-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I was not meaning a droop, being that the bottom is flat, I think one of Duanes snoots would work best.
droop, snoot, whatever.
The point is with this older kind of set up, I don't think that you can bolt one of them on to it. The flange where the bowl splits is bolted to the transom, and I believe it's of a different design than whats bolted to a bowl on a pump.
This picture of this Carlson is the best I have of it, and it's not great. Been years since I've seen one in person, so like I said earlier, you may be right, but I don't think it'll work. That's why I asked Mike if he had any other pictures of the transom.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/stevens19642.jpg

roostwear
04-18-2006, 01:36 PM
That's why I mentioned about it hinging on the flange. It sure looks a lot bigger than a split bowl flange. If the pivot and socket on the nozzle is the same, I would at least be able to add a diverter (C bowl style). If it's possible, I would think it would react the way the Advantage did when I added the longer ride plate...... nozzle up would lift the bow by pushing the cav plates down. Difference being, without the plate, nozzle up has more leverage to lift the bow since it's pivoting on the transom, not the rear of the ride plate.

BigBlockBaja
04-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Nice school bus!

roostwear
04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Nice school bus!
So that's where the Partridge Family wound up.

superdave013
04-18-2006, 02:06 PM
That's why I mentioned about it hinging on the flange. It sure looks a lot bigger than a split bowl flange. If the pivot and socket on the nozzle is the same, I would at least be able to add a diverter (C bowl style). If it's possible, I would think it would react the way the Advantage did when I added the longer ride plate...... nozzle up would lift the bow by pushing the cav plates down. Difference being, without the plate, nozzle up has more leverage to lift the bow since it's pivoting on the transom, not the rear of the ride plate.
maybe you could get an adapter flange.
have lathe, will turn
have mill, will drill / tap

old rigger
04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I think this is as far as superdave's short bus racing team made it after last year's failed attempt on the Parker 300. :)

superdave013
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
another smart ass standing on the beach. :rolleyes:
But ya know, when I saw that pic I though "what a great tow rig". ;)

superdave013
04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
I think this is as far as superdave's short bus racing team made it after last year's failed attempt on the Parker 300. :)
Oh BTW, I went 47 miles. How was your performance that day? lol got ya back. lol Are you going to Pomona this Sunday?

malcolm
04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah I figured you'd all have fun with the old bus. It's not mine, that's where I picked the boat up from. I did look at it a little though, REALLY rusted out. ;)

old rigger
04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Oh BTW, I went 47 miles. How was your performance that day? lol got ya back. lol Are you going to Pomona this Sunday?
47 miles? whew, you musta been whipped. Still, you're right, it was more than I did that day. I didn't even make it to the beach that weekend. This year for sure I want to go watch.
Although back in the 80s, in my one and only race, when it was a 7 hour deal, we went the distance. :) I got a nifty patch to prove it too! lol
No Pomona for me. I would like to hit that one some day again, haven't been to it in about 10 years. Just as easy to go to Long Beach and look for nothing as it is to drive all the way to pomona and look for nothing.

roostwear
04-19-2006, 08:26 AM
I spoke with Tom this morning, and he said the flange is the same as the one on the split bowls, so a diverter will fit. The early sockets weren't o-ringed, so if I would have to change the whole nozzle assy. I asked him about a turning fin, and he said we could put a drop in about 22" in front of the intake to help it turn without spinning out.

roostwear
04-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Well, I did a thorough inspection last night, and I found a few things. The glass has seperated from the stringers, but they don't appear to be rotted. More importantly, it has glass tanks, and they would HAVE to go. The really intriguing thing is the paint is chipped in places, and peeking thru is some BIG gold metalflake! I'm toying with the idea of using a mild paint stripper and trying to take the paint off and (hopefully) reveal the original gel.
The owner admitted he isn't mechanically inclined and the reason he parked it is because he replaced the starter and solenoid and when he hooked up the battery again, it sparked. I saw why last night.... he hooked a ground wire up to the + battery terminal.
Talk about old school......
http://www.roostwear.com/email/sf1.JPG
http://www.roostwear.com/email/sf2.JPG
http://www.roostwear.com/email/sf3.JPG
http://www.roostwear.com/email/sf4.JPG
http://www.roostwear.com/email/sf5.JPG

Tahiti350
04-21-2006, 09:38 AM
I like that alternator mount system, one less thing for fingers to get into on the front of the motor!!!

Oldsquirt
04-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Pretty cool old ride you found!
It's interesting to see how some of the manufacturers "experimented" with jet drives in v-drive hulls back in those days. Note the use of a "rounded-keel" intake in a flat-keel boat. That intake grate looks like it would block off almost half of the incoming water.
http://www.roostwear.com/email/sf4.JPG

roostwear
04-21-2006, 10:11 AM
The intake is flat on the front (matching the keel), just rounded at the rear. The rock grate would have to go. A few people I've spoken to have suggested an open loader with a lot of bite to keep it from unloading.
In looking the boat over, it was cool how they adapted v-drive hardware for the jet. I'm not in love with the idea of the alternator that close to the floor in case some gas or oil spills, but mounting in front isn't an option. Sure am glad it has the turning fin too!
I've been looking around for deals on teak wood. The trailer side steps would look cool in teak.

Oldsquirt
04-21-2006, 10:17 AM
The intake is flat on the front (matching the keel), just rounded at the rear. .
That rounded rear is what makes me think they only bothered to grind down the leading end of the intake to match the keel shape. I dont know that there were any flat keel intakes way back then(just guessing :) )

old rigger
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM
That rounded rear is what makes me think they only bothered to grind down the leading end of the intake to match the keel shape. I dont know that there were any flat keel intakes way back then(just guessing :) )
I think you're exactly right. You can see the un-even area where they ground the rounded part of the intake to match the flat keel of the hull.
Looks like there might have been some kind of upholstered panel over the pump at one time too. Very cool find Mike. :) Back in the mid 60's the teak steps on the trailer were very popular! I can remember quite of few of my dad's buddys had the teak slats like that and teak light bars too.

roostwear
04-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Looks like there might have been some kind of upholstered panel over the pump at one time too. Very cool find Mike. :) Back in the mid 60's the teak steps on the trailer were very popular! I can remember quite of few of my dad's buddys had the teak slats like that and teak light bars too.
Funny you mentioned something over the pump. I was trying to figure out what the brackets and holes were for. I assumed there was (and I may make) a splash guard around the back. The stern on this is incredibly low in the water at rest.
I figured the teak would be correct. What are teak light bars though?

victorfb
04-22-2006, 08:51 AM
interesting find and a cool project mike. i have a feeling dana is going to learn alot about boat restoration this summer. lol
i see alot of unique and/or interesting concepts on it. the use of log exhaust without snails looks differnat. any worry about water reversion there?

old rigger
04-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Funny you mentioned something over the pump. I was trying to figure out what the brackets and holes were for. I assumed there was (and I may make) a splash guard around the back. The stern on this is incredibly low in the water at rest.
I figured the teak would be correct. What are teak light bars though?
I was guessing a cover because it looked like those litle tabs were installed for something to rest on? I dunno, back in the day there were no plexi splash gaurds, in fact I can't even remember ever seeing a splash gaurd of any kind on a flat when I was a kid. Those came later when the water started to get rougher. lol
Someone installed a real crapy one made out of thin stainless on my howard and I took it off and tossed it. I'd rather have a little water come over the transom than have that piece of shit on the boat. Besides, it was like having a knife edge poking up all the time back there.
Light bars? I figured, cause you're as old as me, that you'd remember those for sure!
Rather than install the lights in the trailer's frame or step pads they were mounted on a removable piece of wood, that matched the wood in the step pads, and when the guys would launch the boat they'd go back there and undo a few bolts, unplug the wiring and put the light bar in the car. Pain in the ass really, and thinking back on it now, kinda hokey. Hey, not every idea back then was a great one. But I still like the wood in the step pads. :)
I like wood trailers too. I remember our neighbor at the river had a beautiful one and it was a struggle for them to get the boat outa the river. The empty, floating trailer would drift away from the boat because of the current. Took more than just a husband and wife team to get that boat on the trailer.

roostwear
04-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Dana'll learn alot about boats this summer..... like how to crawl under the deck to get into those small places! j/k
Not too worried about reversion as I doubt this engine has much overlap in the cam. I'm just having a problem getting past those fugly clamp-on flappers. Supposedly, this engine is good to go after I fix the wiring to the starter (never heard THAT before). If so, I doubt I'll tear it down, just detail it and get to work on the interior and stripping that paint. The biggest issue may be the carpet.... old and oily. Ought to be fun to scrape up. :yuk:

old rigger
04-22-2006, 09:48 AM
look at the bright side, if the carpet's soaked with oil, it might just come out in one piece. Then ya just need to break out the simple green and pressure washer.
Very cool boat. The more I look at your pictures, the more I like the old girl.

roostwear
04-22-2006, 09:56 AM
I was guessing a cover because it looked like those litle tabs were installed for something to rest on? I dunno, back in the day there were no plexi splash gaurds, in fact I can't even remember ever seeing a splash gaurd of any kind on a flat when I was a kid. Those came later when the water started to get rougher. lol
Someone installed a real crapy one made out of thin stainless on my howard and I took it off and tossed it. I'd rather have a little water come over the transom than have that piece of shit on the boat. Besides, it was like having a knife edge poking up all the time back there.
Light bars? I figured, cause you're as old as me, that you'd remember those for sure!
Rather than install the lights in the trailer's frame or step pads they were mounted on a removable piece of wood, that matched the wood in the step pads, and when the guys would launch the boat they'd go back there and undo a few bolts, unplug the wiring and put the light bar in the car. Pain in the ass really, and thinking back on it now, kinda hokey. Hey, not every idea back then was a great one. But I still like the wood in the step pads. :)
I like wood trailers too. I remember our neighbor at the river had a beautiful one and it was a struggle for them to get the boat outa the river. The empty, floating trailer would drift away from the boat because of the current. Took more than just a husband and wife team to get that boat on the trailer.
I'm not a fan of guards either, I guess I'll just have to see how much water comes over the back, and add a 10 bazillion gallon/second bilge pump.
I don't recall ever seeing light bars before, but it sounds like a 60s kinda deal. It already has taillights cut into the frame, so I'll run with those. Come to find out, the guy who has the boat took the wood off the steps to add steel steps. His dad the metal fabricator (same one that made the ski tow) was going to make steel steps, but never got around to it.
I guess this boat will prove that I can build a boat the way I build rods..... over-detailed and limited use. :cry: It's cool though... I won't mind having a mid week only boat.

victorfb
04-22-2006, 10:04 AM
i learned the hard way that one of the best carpet removal items is a spilled bottle of tanning oil. :)
the water reversion i mentioned wasnt so much of a large cam overlap, (most cams have some overlap anyhow) but more so when the boat slows quikly and the backwater pushes up that almost straight exhaust. just something to think about when you restore the girl. releying soley on the flappers seems a little scary to me. but as long as your comfortable with it, thats all that matters. looks like a fun project mike. cant wait to see her in person.
oh yea, i remember those 2x4 light bars with the round tail lights screwed to the ends. even seen many with the lic. plate mounted to em. back when we used to use the same plate for about 7 differant trailers. uhhhm i mean some people would do that.

roostwear
04-22-2006, 10:07 AM
look at the bright side, if the carpet's soaked with oil, it might just come out in one piece. Then ya just need to break out the simple green and pressure washer.
Very cool boat. The more I look at your pictures, the more I like the old girl.
I'm hoping the carpet comes up in big chunks not a million threads. I think you and I areon the same page boat-wise.... it's a slice of history to bring back, not something to race and abuse. Besides, what's not to like. You've got a flatbottom, a jet, big gold metalflake, and an FE motor.

Brooski
04-22-2006, 10:30 AM
My Stevens had those logs without snails. Never had an issue with water reversion, and there were a few times I came to an abrupt stop. The flappers did the job.

victorfb
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
My Stevens had those logs without snails. Never had an issue with water reversion, and there were a few times I came to an abrupt stop. The flappers did the job.
hummm? thats about the only time ive ever heard of roger keeping his flappers shut. :p

roostwear
04-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Well, the deal's done. The Stevens comes home the Monday after FC. The plan is to have it (at the very least) river worthy by FC6. Don't know what I'll do with both of them come next winter, but I've got a few months to figure it out.

shirkey4750
04-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Old Rigger, I had a Carlson-Glastron tunnel with an 80 HP electric shift outboard with that same hull design. I have never seen another one like it till now. It had the same top deck as the jet. That thing would turn on a dime and give you change. It was even Gold metalflake