PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter ?

Taylorman
11-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Question for you car guys, which i am not so thats why im asking this question. When people talk about torque converters with different stall rpms, what does that mean. Like what does a 2500 rpm stall converter mean?

Blown 472
11-28-2004, 06:07 PM
It is when the convertor will engage, the higher the stall the higher the motor will rev before the car starts to move. The automatics answer to the clutch.

AMC-Nut
11-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Not true, the car will start to move before the stall rating but not be 100% hooked up until the stall RPM. Some slippage occurs until the stall the rating is met. Before I became an appraiser I was a tranny man for 8 years.

TIMINATOR
11-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Stall is not an absolute number, the higher the torque, the higher the stall will be. Many small blocks won't meet the stall expectations, especially with a single plane intake and big cam. Most big blocks won't have any trouble with it though. As an example, we had a used 2500 that stalled 2400 behind a mild 350. We tried it behind a roller, aluminum head, nitrous motor (482), it stalled 3100 on the motor,and 3800 on the squeeze(250 hp). Just for the heck of it, I put it in my pro-street 68 Nova with an 8-71 blown 468, it stalled 4200 RPM! After about 3 weeks of heavy duty street driving it DISINTEGRATED!!!! The new convertor is a custom deal, and for $680.00 it better last longer! TIMINATOR

AMC-Nut
11-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Hey TIMINATOR,
Uh, I think your first converter was junk to begin with, the fins sound like they were flexing on you. A lot of remaned converters do this. A good converter by design should stall where it was designed to with any engine. A good converter should cost at least $500 and I have seen many, mostly drag applications, costing over $1000. There are actually adjustable converters that are really accurate and very strong. The only actual source I know for these is from an old Caddy, 72-76 I think but am not sure. They actually used mechanical linkage with a roller bearing, sort of likea throwout bearing on a standard. Goofy I know but they worked. Also there's the good old lockup job, which is very useful in some cases.

Blown 472
11-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey TIMINATOR,
Uh, I think your first converter was junk to begin with, the fins sound like they were flexing on you. A lot of remaned converters do this. A good converter by design should stall where it was designed to with any engine. A good converter should cost at least $500 and I have seen many, mostly drag applications, costing over $1000. There are actually adjustable converters that are really accurate and very strong. The only actual source I know for these is from an old Caddy, 72-76 I think but am not sure. They actually used mechanical linkage with a roller bearing, sort of likea throwout bearing on a standard. Goofy I know but they worked. Also there's the good old lockup job, which is very useful in some cases.
Convertors will stall higher with more torque. This was told to me by the guys at turbo action.

AMC-Nut
11-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Yes this is true but they are rated at a set torque number and should, if a good converter stall at that rpm.

Blown 472
11-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Yes this is true but they are rated at a set torque number and should, if a good converter stall at that rpm.
k, whatever, every convetor company I have talked to told me the same thing. :devil:

TIMINATOR
11-28-2004, 08:06 PM
The only convertors that I have ever seen that have a narrower stall range depending on HP, were the old 1972 Torino ones for the 351 HO 4v motors. They would stall 3000 behind most anything, I know,I had a 72 Cobra Jet Torino, bought it new in 1972, modified the motor a LOT and the stall never changed more than 100 RPM. Had a lot of racecars and street/ strip ones. From 12 sec. to mid 7s,all with automatics, torque varies stall,PERIOD.Since we are in the Phoenix,AZ. area, I personally know many of the people at Hughes Convertors, if you have doubts, call and ask THEM about this. TIMINATOR P.S. they know me as Timm from TUF-ENUF Auto & Marine perf. ask for Randy or Jeff, they'll explain it to you.

AMC-Nut
11-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey Timinator,
Just curious, did Tuf Enuf use to rent jet skiis on Rio Salado? I think the owner is the son of the manager at fractured fiberglass. Do you know these guys?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-29-2004, 05:04 AM
stall converters can make a street car very 'interesting' to drive. If you plan to buy one for the street keep it under 3000 rpm or you WON'T like it. they work great for the track, but I have seen too many folks go out and buy a 3000-4000rpm stall and try to use it on a weekend warrior :notam:
stall converters really help tear up trannys, driveshafts and rearends so if a big stall is in order other drivetrain compenents should be addressed also.
Omega

Foggerjet
11-29-2004, 05:31 AM
My Nova Has a Custom JB anti balooning Convertor, It stalls at 5000, on the trans brake foot-to-the-mat. Now the First stage won't come in until Trans brake release. When you let the brake go it will "flash" to about 5400. This convertor produces steady 1.20-1.22 60 ft. and is 4 years old I've never had the first problem with it, (broke the rear end tho). JB said this is normal when on the "sauce". Even with a 5000 stall, the car will still creep forward in gear but revs like hell when loading on the trailer or going up a steep hill. Taylorman, Do you need a convertor? I've got some good street convertors for PG and TH350-400 and some PG with TH input splines. PM if ya need somethin'.
fog

Blown 472
11-29-2004, 05:59 AM
stall converters can make a street car very 'interesting' to drive. If you plan to buy one for the street keep it under 3000 rpm or you WON'T like it. they work great for the track, but I have seen too many folks go out and buy a 3000-4000rpm stall and try to use it on a weekend warrior :notam:
stall converters really help tear up trannys, driveshafts and rearends so if a big stall is in order other drivetrain compenents should be addressed also.
Omega
So do blown motors. :D

TIMINATOR
11-29-2004, 06:35 AM
TUF-ENUF Auto & Marine Performance is a registered Trade Name, and so is protected from others use. No, I do not know those people. TIMINATOR

wrenchdaddy
11-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Sorry guys i know this isn;t about boats but while we're on the tranny subject i was wondering if ya'll could help me out. Hey AMC-nut since u were a tranny guy for 8 years maybe u could help me out. I have a th 350 behind a mild small block. rebuilt the tranny less than a year ago because half the teeth in the 3rd gear clutch drum were wore off which made it slipped into third real bad. I replaced the drum and rebuilt it, it worked great.
This is what happend: I was taking off at a light a little harder than normal and when it shifted into second it stumbled and jerked real hard and then it skipped into third. When i stopped and took off again it in and out of 2nd and then finally went itno third, i drove it a little more to get home and now it skips right over second straight into third. It makes some grindin noises sometimes when it tries to shifts into 2nd and then it stops when its in third. Any idea of what i could have broke, is the whole tranny likely scrapped or could it be somethin i could fix???
thanks fellas

Jordy
11-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey Timinator,
Just curious, did Tuf Enuf use to rent jet skiis on Rio Salado? I think the owner is the son of the manager at fractured fiberglass. Do you know these guys?
They were doing bedliner and fiberglass repair when they first started out. Tuff Skin was the name of the bedliner deal, I think. Noah was the owner. Went to high school with him and his sister.

TRG
11-29-2004, 09:56 PM
we have some close family friends who own "The Converter Shop" here in chino and they also have a facility in lake havasu, if you would like, you can call chino and ask for Ryan or call havasu to talk to rusty,they are brothers and would be more than happy to help you out with any questions or get you what you need for your vehicle!
let him know Todd w/ TRG fiberglass sent ya!
lake havasu #928-453-4020 (Rusty Stewart)
chino # 909-627-8595 (Ryan Stewart)
P.S. They make all types of converters (BIG HP) and custom fab for transmission parts.

TIMINATOR
11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
You either killed the sprag or tore the lugs out of the trans case. They make a hardened sprag race and a case saver lug repair deal (for non-race only). I ran a TH-350 in my 72 Chevelle street/strip car for 3 years with a built 454 roller motor,iron OVAL port heads,3.73 gears,3000 stall, power steering and power brakes, full interior, ran 10.80/124 on the motor and 10.00/138 bottled, with a full out-the-back exhaust. Trans had to be freshened every year, usually wasted high gear clutches. If anybody cares, I can post pics that clearly show the treaded street tires, and exhaust, with the front end 10" off the ground! Oh yeah, if you use a TH-400, it will slow the car by 3-4 tenths and 3+ mph. TIMINATOR