PDA

View Full Version : Flow coat question?

pebo
11-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Redoing a floor so whats the deal with "Flow Coating ". Is it something a Novice can do? And where can i buy it?

Morg
11-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Most of the work in flow coating like any other paint deal is prep work.
When you have it all ready then its just sprayed in.
Let's start by asking do you have any paint & body work experience. When I started my deal I did not, but a good freind did, so their you go. I would not have done it on my own.

msmeads1
11-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Morg,
Any pic's of your floor?

Morg
11-29-2004, 02:13 PM
It took a little more than just flow coat.
Like I said, most of the work is prep. work.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/545Before.bmp
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/545Picture_007.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/545Picture_003.jpg

FlatRat
11-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Freakin sanitary!!
What's with the supports.Are ya the holding bottom down or the top up?Looking very nice. :2purples: :2purples:

Norseman
11-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Morg;
Isn't the motor in backwards???? :idea: :idea:
;)
Bob

Norseman
11-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Morg;
Very nice job!!!!
I really like the way you did the rail kit and the V drive mounts!!!!! :smile: :smile:
Just kidding on the way the engine faces! :messedup:

Jordy
11-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Beautiful looking work Morg. :D

396_Z
11-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Screw milk... Got shaft log?
Awesome work Morg.

SANGER-RICH
11-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Redoing a floor, "FLOWCOAT" where can i buy it?
DITTO Where do you get it??? Also where do you get the color to add to it or is it added to the resin????

Morg
11-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Belive me guys, I never thought I would own a boat with floors like they turned out. Essentialy one thing led to another & we re-did EVERYTHING. My good friend Paul (Tunnel Vision, Badass daytona tunnel, yes the black one for those of you who run @ CFW) is responsible for a huge part of the success. He was a huge help, Never could have done it without Pauls help. BTW Paul is an amazing painter, mechanic & the real jet boat guru.
Billy has also been a huge help. I think he felt a little obligated after he sold me the basket case.
Flow coat, It is made by Duratec in so cal. It is a sprayed on product. I highly recoend their hi gloss black, then the clear.
getting closer. Can't wait till Needles in April. Hope to make a few test runs @ CFW in the spring.

Fiat48
11-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Dammit Morg....you keep flaunting that pretty thing and you're gonna make me do mine! :mad: :)

78Eliminator
11-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Morg is going to make everyone put on brand new white cotton socks before you can even get in the boat..... :wink:

TRG
11-29-2004, 10:33 PM
for the flo-cote by dura-tec, you can call sur-fab unl. and ask for doug (562-921-5206) he can mail order the stuff to you, or you can just go there and will call it!
let him know todd @ TRG sent you!
Todd

Morg
11-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Bob, Pull the motor. I'll be over in an hour :D j/k. Yours would not be to tough. I'm ready when you are.
78, damn straight on the socks. I figure if I leave just a little of the poliching residue on the floors, The socks will keep the bling factore high.
Todd, Thanks for the lead on the Duratec. The outside rep for Dura-tech was a huge help. He was able to talk me through the steps for spraying.
Now if it would get above freezing I would be a little more motivated to get into the garage. I have a dog bowl that is frozen solid in the garage right now. Time to insulate the garage door.
Morg

carreraboat
11-30-2004, 07:55 AM
morg that is one clean install.it is nice to see when someone takes the time to do it up right

Norseman
11-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Bob, Pull the motor. I'll be over in an hour :D j/k. Yours would not be to tough. I'm ready when you are.
78, damn straight on the socks. I figure if I leave just a little of the poliching residue on the floors, The socks will keep the bling factore high.
Todd, Thanks for the lead on the Duratec. The outside rep for Dura-tech was a huge help. He was able to talk me through the steps for spraying.
Morg
Morg
I'm going to have to look into using Dura-tech for the Rayson! Stuff looks good, and your attention to detail is amazing!!
You and Art sure set the bar high for us new guys!!
Now if it would get above freezing I would be a little more motivated to get into the garage. I have a dog bowl that is frozen solid in the garage right now. Time to insulate the garage door.
Atleast it's not the dog frozen in the garage!! :messedup:
We are cold hear in NY 20's at night, 40's during the day, but not that cold yet.
Sure wish I could get the boat in the garage. :(
Bob

Morg
11-30-2004, 02:18 PM
As far as the bar being set high, I am just trying to keep up with the Jone's from down south. All the junk coming from the 909 has got the bling bling.
It's been almost three years, This deal took on a life of its own. I am as surprised & as happy with the results as I could be.
BTW- I have a good 20 hours of wet sanding & polishing into the floors after they were sprayed.
The hard part now is sleeping at night, I got the shakes real bad from not driving a flat for a few years. :D :hammer2:
Morg

SANGER-RICH
11-30-2004, 05:27 PM
for the flo-cote by dura-tec, you can call sur-fab unl. and ask for doug (562-921-5206) he can mail order the stuff to you, or you can just go there and will call it!
let him know todd @ TRG sent you!
Todd
Do they have a web site??

Norseman
11-30-2004, 06:36 PM
As far as the bar being set high, I am just trying to keep up with the Jone's from down south. All the junk coming from the 909 has got the bling bling.
Your doing a great job!! Boat looks awesome!!!
I'd be happy if mine looks 1/2 as nice!!
It's been almost three years, This deal took on a life of its own. I am as surprised & as happy with the results as I could be.
BTW- I have a good 20 hours of wet sanding & polishing into the floors after they were sprayed..[/QUOTE
And it looks it!!
T[QUOTE=Morg]he hard part now is sleeping at night, I got the shakes real bad from not driving a flat for a few years. :D :hammer2:
Morg
Having never driven a flat yet, I don't know what I'm missing. :)
This first project is a family style ski boat. The next one will be for Dad.
I found a sound 16 foot Stevens Flat while looking for parts for the Rayson, I'm thinking it would make a nice 2nd project.
NY is a pain in the ass with noise laws like Ca and Az, so I'm thinking maybe twin turbo BBC.
But I need to get the Rayson Craft done and wet first. But I am thinking about how to build the motor, and collect some key pieces, and lots of info for when I get started. :220v:
You can NEVER have too many toys... :wink:

Morg
11-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Do they have a web site??
Yup Da Scheit (http://www.duratec1.com/)
I lost the name & number for the outside rep who helped me. I would try to get ahold of him through the site.

msmeads1
11-30-2004, 07:37 PM
morg,
what were the item numbers or pruduct numbers you used for thr floor?
I checked out the link, too many products to choose from.
thanks

pebo
11-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Most of the work in flow coating like any other paint deal is prep work.
When you have it all ready then its just sprayed in.
Let's start by asking do you have any paint & body work experience. When I started my deal I did not, but a good freind did, so their you go. I would not have done it on my own.
Thanks for the reply. I do have some paint & body experience, but a friend has more. So here's another dumb question. Do you spray only the clear, or do you do the black and clear? Did I mention I was a novice

Morg
11-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Here's the readers digest version:
After fiberglassing over the wood you need to be sure the glass is sealed with enough resin. I used marine epoxy it is fairly clear & sands pretty easy.
The area needs to be cleaned with soap & water, thuroughly rinsed let dry.
Tape off & spray the black. It is a two part deal. Mix only what you can spray in a couple minutes. We were able to spray, mix & spray again without cleaning the gun. Used 2 quarts
Let the black dry, sand to break the surface, again wash & let dry.
We did not get the fiberglass totaly sealed, pin holes became a problem. We also had a problem with fish eyes. A little brushing helped.
The clear was then sprayed. This stuff goes on thick. verticle surfaces are tough. Used almost a full gallon for the floor, kick bourd & panels.
The outside rep. recomended sanding the clear to break the surface tension & allow the clear to fully cure. This also helped further eliminate pin holes & fish eyes. Started with 800 wet, worked upt to 2000 wet then polished.
Its just that simple boys & girls.
I will try to find my receipt with the product numbers tomorrow.
BTW- a huge part of re-doing the inside of my deal was installing new kick bourds & panels. & laminateing venier on the floor, the entire deal with eastern white maple. This was after we had installed Kny-tex fiberglass around the perimeter of the boat for strenght.