PDA

View Full Version : Tankless Water Heaters???

CJ
11-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Anyone know anything about these things. I want one, but I think the power to my current water heater will not handle what I want.
Help!

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-30-2004, 11:08 AM
there are many to choose from.. how many fixtures will it be supplying

phebus
11-30-2004, 11:11 AM
I looked int them approx. 1 year ago, and the gas supply line had to be much larger than the 1/2" line I now have supplying my current water heater. It was impractical to run a new large diam. line, so I stuck with a conventional unit. Check out the supply demands before purchasing.

Ziggy
11-30-2004, 11:12 AM
I have some here in my Biz...On-Demand hot water at each faucet. They cost more upfront but take less to use daily...don't have to wait for the hot water to reach your tap...less waste too.
I'd recommend them highly.

jayd_jr
11-30-2004, 11:41 AM
First off they do cost more. But are well worth it as you are not heating the water in the tank when it gets cooler. There are a few things to look at.
1. Venting - You need to install a new vent which is going to be stainless steel as the heater condensates due to high effeciancy. If the heater is outside even better no vent necessary depending on location. Also if near an outside wall the vent can be "Direct Vent" so you run it straight out the side of the house.
2. Gas Demand - They do call for more gas demand but in most houses the furnace is close and should have enough BTU to provide. it just typical to stub out 1/2" at a water heater.
3. Electrical shouldnt be a problem either... There is a remate as well for most units.
Hope that helps I can always put one in for you as well.......

ROZ
11-30-2004, 11:44 AM
My sister and her husband recently bought a big Noritz model and it ROCKS! Their last gas bill was only 12.00.....that's gas for the water heater, gas dryer, and gas heater... Commercial range is gas, but their kitchen isn't done yet...

Desert Rat
11-30-2004, 12:03 PM
When I was overseas they had electrical ones that went under a sink. Anybody know where to get them??

ROZ
11-30-2004, 12:07 PM
When I was overseas they had electrical ones that went under a sink. Anybody know where to get them??
I'm putting one of those outside at my BBq sink... Instant hot water :) with only running one water line...

Desert Rat
11-30-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm putting one of those outside at my BBq sink... Instant hot water :) with only running one water line...
Where did you find it?

al cole'holic
11-30-2004, 12:16 PM
I hope to have my water heater replaced with a tankless by the end of the month so there will be no more problems when the 75 gallon jacuzzi tub gets a little colder :D

VelocityDriver
11-30-2004, 12:21 PM
We put 2 Bosh units in about a year ago. They ROCK! Our gas bill went down by 75%. Last Thanksgiving with 10 people in for the weekend, we never ran out of hot water. The price was almost double than the standard gas units ($500 ea), but, they will pay for differance by the spring. Also we received a rebate from SWGas, I think it was for the installation cost. We got ours from Home Depot.

Ziggy
11-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Those are the ones I have...got them ordered through my contractor....they work bitchen.

Powerquestboy
11-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Anyone know a good Hot water heater brand to put in my house I need a 40 gallon. Can you get a goodone at HomeDepot etc. Should I look into one of these new tankless deals etc.

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Anyone know a good Hot water heater brand to put in my house I need a 40 gallon. Can you get a goodone at HomeDepot etc. Should I look into one of these new tankless deals etc.
I would not by from Home depot.. if you can get one from a plumbing supply house and Rheem is pretty good.,. they hold up their end of the warrenty if needed..
tankless I would go with tackagi (spck)with a 3/4" water supply line.

al cole'holic
11-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Pretty much any one there you know is good to go :D

prosthogod
11-30-2004, 02:30 PM
All your gas bills went down but how much did your elect. go up. Remember gas is cheap compared to elect.

al cole'holic
11-30-2004, 02:41 PM
All your gas bills went down but how much did your elect. go up. Remember gas is cheap compared to elect.
Tankless gas water heaters...

Mrs CP 19
11-30-2004, 03:08 PM
I think everyone is referring to tankless gas, no great electric use. Under sink hot on demand are electric, but that is a different story. On demand for 1 faucet only. Bosche is okay, but Takagi is the best. Figure out your needs and amounts before you purchase. Tankless water heaters are the only way to go! Jill

NashvilleBound
11-30-2004, 03:09 PM
As a developer I would not use anything else but those. Almost any of the newer models are great. You can leave the water running, except in CA, all day and its constantly hot. It only takes a few years to recoup the cost difference...well worth it....besides the savings of space.

CJ
11-30-2004, 03:29 PM
I don't think I have gas to my home in South Havasu. I currently have two 30amp circuits going to my 50 gal water heater. Is that enough to run a unit? Which one? I only need one shower at a time with nothing else running.

Mrs CP 19
11-30-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't know much about the whole house electric ones, but found this web page. Hope it helps. Jill
http://www.tankless-water-heater.com/

jayd_jr
11-30-2004, 06:38 PM
As far as the tankless go, there is no manufacturer that has an all electric tankless that could do a house (IE 2bath, kitchen, laundry) with one unit. SO if you want to do the whole house you would need gas or LP. Just remember water heaters will go up in price at the end of the month! 24% so look into what you can. The steel for the tanks is out of site price wise and the new code for burners just skyrocketed the price fast. PM me and I can help you out with what you need.

Sportin' Wood
11-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Tankless is the shit...
I like the Noritz Unit the best because you dont have to use there vent. You do have to use fastenseal vent which is exspensive and the gas demand is higher then what your furnace needs. (Around 200,000 BTU)
I have been installing tankless heaters in new homes for the last 5 years and have yet to get a call back on even one. ( I have had to replace countless tank type heaters)
A few tankless heaters even have a control panel to adjust the temp so if you install it in the bathroom and know you like 103 degree water in the tub you can set it and turn on the hot side only and you will get a tub of 103.
Tankless can also be installed on the wall out side your home and free up the space in the garage. I suggest this for a retrofit as it is easier to put it next to the gas meter and run the water lines then run new gas lines.
This is a must for people on propane. It only heats what it needs so if you are running .5gpm that is what it heats if you are getting busy in the shower it will heat what you need there all damn night!

riverroyal
11-30-2004, 07:43 PM
try instahot brand,under sink kind,,,,,Todd pipe and supply should carry them,they have locations everywhere

Mrs CP 19
11-30-2004, 09:11 PM
As far as the tankless go, there is no manufacturer that has an all electric tankless that could do a house (IE 2bath, kitchen, laundry) with one unit. SO if you want to do the whole house you would need gas or LP. Just remember water heaters will go up in price at the end of the month! 24% so look into what you can. The steel for the tanks is out of site price wise and the new code for burners just skyrocketed the price fast. PM me and I can help you out with what you need.
http://www.tankless-water-heater.com/
Check the above link, it states more than once this is a whole house system.Something new perhaps?

al cole'holic
01-10-2005, 05:45 PM
...FYI, I have a line on the Takagi T-K2 model tankless water heater for a hair over $800 if anyone else is interested in one. This is the one I am gonna go with myself... :D

CJ
01-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Is that electric or gas?

dexman38
01-10-2005, 06:00 PM
It seems to be a lot of plumbers on here. Who are the plumbers! I am a plumber.

team 933
01-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Hot Water For Weeks................the Best Home Improvement Ever!!!!!

al cole'holic
01-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Is that electric or gas?
...gas...the remote controller unit is a little over $100 bucks and allows you to kick up the heat to 167 degrees, not that you would but you could :cool: