PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out of dipstick

Taylorman
11-30-2004, 11:45 AM
I have oil leaking out of my dipstick tube on my 455. This is a new problem that i never had before. I had to pull the crank and pistons out cause my rear seal was leaking. Put it all back together and now their is oil leaking out of the dipstick tube. It just bubbles out at idle. Any possible solutions.

AMC-Nut
11-30-2004, 01:02 PM
I have had AMC's do this to me and just used a homemade "Crank Scraper" and problem solved. I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, have you checked to see if you crankcase is sucking air from somewher?

Nucking futs
11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
To much oil in the pan??

rrrr
11-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Is the arrow on your motor pointing the right direction?
http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/ath/Web_files/Buttons/Yellow_Up_Arrow.jpg

Taylorman
11-30-2004, 01:58 PM
???????????????????????????????????????

Hallett19
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/ath/Web_files/Buttons/Yellow_Up_Arrow.jpg
:D This is the all time best smart ass response !!!!! :D
I LOVE IT !!!

Moneypitt
11-30-2004, 04:10 PM
What was changed during this tear down? Rings, gaskets????...............MP

Terminal Velocity
11-30-2004, 04:48 PM
i recently did a rebuild for a guy and when i started the motor up it was pushing oil out the dipstick. Couldn't figure it out until i unscrewed the oil fill and it relieved the pressure in the motor. Apparently with this one it was sealed good enough that the crankcase pressure was pushing the oil out.
Just my .02 and what happened to me.
James

Infomaniac
11-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Does the dipstick tube extend under the oil level?

sleekcraft76
11-30-2004, 05:06 PM
maybee the ring gaps lind up causing blowby?

77Eliminator
11-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Do a leak down test? Better to safe than sorry. The sorry will cost you $$$$$ :hammerhea

Moneypitt
11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
What is new or different????

Taylorman
11-30-2004, 08:20 PM
I tore it down to fix a leaking rear main. Put new bearings and all new gaskets of course. Used the same rings since the motor only had about 20 hrs on it. Did not hone the cylinders, should i kick myself now. They seamed to be pretty smooth. The dipstick tube does not extend into the oil.

Moneypitt
11-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Didn't we just go through a breather choice thread about this boat/ engine? You had a leaking rear main seal? right? Hmmm, seems like the pressure is NOW coming out the dipstick instead of the rear main seal. Just guessing here.....but lets go over the breathers again.............MP

Taylorman
12-01-2004, 05:15 AM
I dont remember going through a breather choice. I have a crankcase evac on it now.

Foggerjet
12-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Taylorman, For whatever reason it seems you are pressurizing(sp) the crankcase. Do you run a PCV or breathers? I was getting oily film on my valve covers with a PCV. I installed a vented/baffled puke tank from Stef's (plug for straub). One line from the top of each valve cover to the tank. The tank has a baffle between the oil/vapor section and the filter on the top of it. It's in a lousy place in the bilge or i'd take a picture. I use a spraypaint lid to slide under it and open the petcock in the bottom to drain any oil out. Usually just a little bit. Now there is never any oil leaking/blowing out. The system is basically a sealed system with the exception of the 3" K&N filter on top of the puke tank. There are other alternatives, but this did work. Looks tidy also.
fog

Moneypitt
12-01-2004, 10:53 AM
That is the NEW link. Which way is the pump turning???? Are you pressurizing the pan instead of evacing it?.........MP

Taylorman
12-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Its not a vaccumm pump, its an evac kit like this one made by Shogun Industries (http://www.shogunindustries.com/cgi-local/Web_store/ws400CS.cgi?cart_id=1041201011620580&page=products.htm&view_item=E42798)

Moneypitt
12-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Open both valve covers completely, just open holes, and see if the oil still bubbles out the dipstick..... If it stops you know where the problem is...Are the check valves in corectly? ..........MP

Taylorman
12-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Good idea. I'll try that. Thanks.

Taylorman
12-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Open both valve covers completely, just open holes, and see if the oil still bubbles out the dipstick..... If it stops you know where the problem is...Are the check valves in corectly? ..........MP
Found the problem. That was it. I took the balls which act as the check valves from the Shogun breathers and no more oil. I guess im going to ditch the crank evac and just put some regular breathers on this thing. What cha think?

jdf
12-05-2004, 05:37 PM
smart move

Moneypitt
12-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Where are the check balls in the system, and why do they allow the pressure to pulsate at the dipstick? Seems like the headers should have some "pull" on the check valves. How stiff are the springs loading the balls? Then again, and I hate to even bring this up , but a PCV VALVE WILL CURE THE PROBLEM. MP

GofastRacer
12-05-2004, 06:48 PM
This is as far as I'm concerened the best Vac U Pan system around, it's available from Moroso or you can make your own. All it consists of is Mopar breathers and Chevy smog check valves and a couple of pipe nipples from Home Dump!...I tried it on my tow vehicle once it was good for 2 miles to the gallon!..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/1225900_part.jpg

Moneypitt
12-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Yes, Art, simple pieces, simple solution. Except he already had a problem with someones "kit" to do the same thing. Thats why I was asking questions about the check deals. I think the "kit" was complete, but some how sprung the wrong way or???.................MP

GofastRacer
12-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Yes, Art, simple pieces, simple solution. Except he already had a problem with someones "kit" to do the same thing. Thats why I was asking questions about the check deals. I think the "kit" was complete, but some how sprung the wrong way or???.................MP
Yep, that's why I like to stick with the K.I.S.S. method, always seems to work the best!.. :)