PDA

View Full Version : For those who miss green oil

Jet City
11-30-2004, 04:36 PM
I had been looking for a good SAE 50 racing oil and a buddy in Colorado told me about Brad Penn oil, this is basically the old Kendall oil company, located on 77 North Kendall Ave. in Bradford Pennsylvania (the old Kendall refinery), as it turns out they only sold the Kendall name, not the formulas, so when Kendall went from green to gold is when it started being a regular Conoco-Phillips oil with a Kendall label ($1.25 oil in a $2.50 wrapper). If you want the old Kendall formula (yes, the sticky green shit), buy the Brad Penn.
Brad Penn is not easy to find (distribution is relatively new), but for anyone who is interested, contact Gary or Matt at American Speedcenter in Colorado Springs (719-444-0525), these guys are great to deal with, price is $3.00 but they gave me a bit of a break on 3 cases. There's plenty more info on the particulars on www.bobistheoilguy.com for anyone who cares.
Scott

LakesOnly
11-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Well I for one find this interesting.
Thanks,
LO

Fiat48
11-30-2004, 05:29 PM
The racers called it Eastern Kendall. Never could find any on the west coast. It does cling to parts..I can tell you that. Also mixes with alcohol. I'll be looking into it. Thank you for the tip.

Jet City
11-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Brad Penn is American Refining Group, Inc., they do have a website (search "Brad Penn") but did not respond to my inquery of a West Coast source, you won't be sorry if you deal with that American Speedcenter in Co., I got enough to fill my 14 qt pan twice, they were very prompt in shipping.

HammerDown
11-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm, very interesting as I was probably one of the first to call Kendall years ago about the "no more green". I was told by the rep that yes it was still the same great oil I've used FOREVER and then some. And that they dropped the green color because the delivery tankers had a hard time getting the "green" out for another products oil. (if that was true)???
Personally I miss the Green..but around here in S. Eastern Pa the Green is still and only in the GT Nitro 70.
PS. before the Green, Kendall was.....purple!

HammerDown
11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
"I don't know the history of Brad Penn and their relationship to Kendall - but just because they received the rights to the old Kendall formulations doesn't mean they're using them! We've found Brad Penn being marketed in some areas near me at "too good to be true" prices, so we obtained several samples and sent them off for oil analysis. Junk, junk, junk. Almost no additive pack and rarely in spec. "

AMC-Nut
11-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Anyone have any problems with Royal Purple with a shot of Prolong.
You often can tell how good a product is by the caliber of the people who endorse it.
If four-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser, five-time national Hot Rod Association world champion Kenny Bernstein and the world's premier engine builder and mechanical genius, Smokey Yunick, endorse Prolong's line of engine additives, it must be doing something right. It's important to understand that Smokey Yunick usually stays holed up in his shop in Daytona Beach, Florida, and has rarely endorsed anything. When he speaks on a product's behalf, it's noteworthy.
Here's what Smokey says about Prolong: "Prolong really helps protect the engine during those periods of interrupted pressure and flow ... hard acceleration, braking, cornering and especially start-up. I'm a true believer. Best damn engine treatment there is. Use it."
Boats and tow vehicles can benefit from Prolong Lubricants' product line, which includes engine, fuel and transmission treatments, a penetrating lubricant and a multipurpose precision oil. On-board uses for the precision oil and penetrant are endless, and each additive can be used in car and boat mechanisms. Prolong offers a deluxe car care kit, which includes each of the lubricants for about $60. Prolong products are available at Discount Auto Parts and other auto and marine outlets. For more information, call 800-369-4359.
If Smokey uses it, so do I.

Jordy
11-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the obvious cut and paste job. :rolleyes:

Jordy
11-30-2004, 10:45 PM
I had been looking for a good SAE 50 racing oil and a buddy in Colorado told me about Brad Penn oil, this is basically the old Kendall oil company, located on 77 North Kendall Ave. in Bradford Pennsylvania (the old Kendall refinery), as it turns out they only sold the Kendall name, not the formulas, so when Kendall went from green to gold is when it started being a regular Conoco-Phillips oil with a Kendall label ($1.25 oil in a $2.50 wrapper). If you want the old Kendall formula (yes, the sticky green shit), buy the Brad Penn.
Brad Penn is not easy to find (distribution is relatively new), but for anyone who is interested, contact Gary or Matt at American Speedcenter in Colorado Springs (719-444-0525), these guys are great to deal with, price is $3.00 but they gave me a bit of a break on 3 cases. There's plenty more info on the particulars on www.bobistheoilguy.com for anyone who cares.
Scott
I liked the green Kendall. Ran the 20-50 in my trucks and boats for a while, then it turned oil colored. They swore up and down that nothing changed other than the color. Wonder how much of that is true now???

Fiat48
11-30-2004, 11:23 PM
The rumor was they took the MPZ (I hope that is right) additive out of the oil and many alcohol guys dropped it for that reason. I am told that the Nitro 70 still has that additive. I do know there is more to it than the color as the old green was "sticky" and the other wasn't. Many guys went to Torco for the additive.

InKahntrol
12-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Wow, that Bobistheoilguy site is very interesting and informative. I don't mean to knock Smokey, since I loved his book and all, but you should check out the comparison test on that site where they put oil additive in a few different types of oil and then speed the gears up... the additive actually help airate the oil, which is not a good thing. I think I'll avoid Lucas, Prolong, and all that other stuff in my motor. I don't think you can go wrong with a good synthetic like Redline, Royal Purple, or even Castrol Syntec. The refinery knows how to formulate and blend the lubricant with all the necessary stuff to protect your engine, adding some extra "one size fits all" chemicals probably won't help and could certainly hurt.
Dan