PDA

View Full Version : rudders......ceramic coating

superdave013
11-30-2004, 06:20 PM
anyone ever put that Jet Hot coating type of stuff on your rudder? I just got done de-rusting my rudder and am sending it out to get mag checked (looks good to me). I sure would like to keep it looking clean.
It's not a drag race boat and there's no way my fat ass is gonna give everything the wd wipe down that I should after every outing.
So with that in mind do you think that ceramic coating would keep the rust down?

Norseman
11-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Annodize it!

v-drive
11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
I have tooling that I use in a wire edm that I was convinced needed to have this coating and guess what, it wipes right off no matter how long or what material I have been cutting. I say go for it :D v-drive

GofastRacer
11-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Never tried Jet-Hot on a rudder, I've always got them gold irridited, works great!..

Dave Sammons
11-30-2004, 07:50 PM
I've done a couple where we polished the rudder and then clear CAD plated the thing. Just looked at the one on my brothers boat that's 2 years old and it still looks good, and remember, they used to say in the Old West, "There's nothing faster than polished steel"

GofastRacer
11-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Guess that would work, as long as it can be inspected for cracks it's cool!..

boatguy222
11-30-2004, 08:08 PM
anyone ever put that Jet Hot coating type of stuff on your rudder? I just got done de-rusting my rudder and am sending it out to get mag checked (looks good to me). I sure would like to keep it looking clean.
It's not a drag race boat and there's no way my fat ass is gonna give everything the wd wipe down that I should after every outing.
So with that in mind do you think that ceramic coating would keep the rust down?
I'am using Finishline coating in Portland, and have Ceramic coated the strut, fin, and rudder. They put this stuff on Bonniville cars to keep the salt spray off the metal. It's not silver, it's more of a Brown color, and I have not gotten it wet yet, so the jury is still out, but they make it sound like it's bullet proof! We"ll see!
I did use the silver ceramic coat on most of the Aluminum in the boat, it's not bad, either.

83nordic
12-01-2004, 09:37 AM
I had it done, now I am buying a new stainless rudder, the coating is quite soft, I can scratch it with my finger nail. I had mine done at CAPS maybe others are harder, but I never even installed it, prop wash takes the chrome off and I was sure the ceramic wouldnt last. I did hear of someone doing a custom recipe on props though and reprtedly having good luck. I would look for another solution.