PDA

View Full Version : Boating with dogs (4 legged, not ugly)

Tahiti350
12-01-2004, 04:37 AM
All,
I was wondering how many take there dogs boating with them, and how well most dogs handle it. My English Shepard/Lab ride fairly well in the car or truck, but is a little flakey about loud noises. My boats not that loud (right now), but the motion and other boats, etc., concern me. Any suggestions besides leaving him home?
GaryB> Tahiti350

Craig
12-01-2004, 05:29 AM
I wish I could take mine out, but they'd probably just shake in the corner and pee all over the place :frown:

vdrivenman
12-01-2004, 05:33 AM
our three love it. they like to stand out on the bow while the boat is under way. they just don't understand the concept of waves so i slow down and call them off till we are on smooth water again.
as far getting in & out they use the swim step on the back of the boat.
main thing is to provide them shade during the course of the day to get out of the sun.

manuel
12-01-2004, 05:43 AM
When I lived on the river we could not go anywhere without the dog, if we tried to leave him home he would just jump in and swim after us, then we would feel bad and go get him, but then once he got in the boat he had to do the "shake" all over us, this picture is not mine I just thought it looked funny, Manuel
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/95000018140_1.jpg

RiverOtter
12-01-2004, 05:53 AM
Took my golden out on our 370 Dancer once...... Once! After spending at least an hour cleaning the bildge of dog hair that was enough for me.

cola
12-01-2004, 07:10 AM
I take my dog almost every weekend on the boat. She loves it & the extra work is worth it. If you dont know haw they will respond, keep them on the leash. They will do just fine.
Late, Mike & KC

Tahiti350
12-01-2004, 07:15 AM
For those theat let them stand on the bow, how do you keep them from scratching the paint? Heavy wax coat and short nails??
GaryB> Tahiti350

cola
12-01-2004, 07:30 AM
For those theat let them stand on the bow, how do you keep them from scratching the paint? Heavy wax coat and short nails??
GaryB> Tahiti350
She keeps her nails groung short by her self. I don't let her on the deck I only set her up there for a picture. The nose of the open bow & the back of the boat do just fine. My dog is not very big also. I use a 3x4 rug from Walmart on the nose at times in the winter. she go off the back when its good weather.
Late, Mike

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-01-2004, 08:28 AM
We take our dog everywhere with us, including on the boat. At first, she didn't really dig it but now she loves it. She just rides in Jason's lap when we are going fast otherwise she just chills on the bow. She has a bit of a bad habit of trying to check out other peoples boats too when we are parked on a beach. Just gotta pay attention and keep her from jumping on other bows. We usually put a towel on the bow but she just jumps around it. All the little scratches from her nails buff right out no problem.

JB in so cal
12-01-2004, 08:36 AM
My Pointer loves the boat; almost too much!
About five years ago, she's standing in the open bow with her front paws on the glass and rear paws on the seat; only going a bit over planing speed. We hit a wake and she went over the bow!!!
I saw it start to happen and since she fell over the port side, I turned into where she was. I looked behind as she popped up (in one piece) and the look on her face was, like HOLY S***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :2purples: If I had to guess, I'd say the prop missed her by less than a foot.
Very lucky dog, indeed! She still loves the boat and we are constantly having to bring her aft all the time. She waits until I come off the power, then runs right up to the front deck. Damn dog.
JB

1Shockwaveguy
12-01-2004, 08:46 AM
My golden get's pissed if I don't take her with me. ;)

AzLakeLizard
12-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Our dog Koki loves the lake!.. boating is just the thing for her... we had a small 21' ski boat a few years back and taught her how to swim.. now she can't get enough of the boating life and running amok on the beach.. dang.. it is a Dog's Life! :cool:

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-01-2004, 08:53 AM
we've actually never taken either one of our dogs.. I don't think the cocker would like it and the rottie well let's just say she is too big and heavy to get in the boat.
If your dogs are trained well enough I don't see the problem with it as long as you watch them I have seen too many dogs jump out of the boat while in motion because they didn't like it I assume. ;)

Big_Gunz_
12-01-2004, 09:12 AM
We taken our older dog and few times with us and she loves it. She'll climb right in and check out everything while the boats not moving. Once we get going, she crawls under the seat and goes to sleep. We just got a new dog so we'll be taking them both next year.

RiverDave
12-01-2004, 09:16 AM
I take Neva out on the boat with me all the time.. :) She loves the boat rides, and riding in the open bow looking out over the water etc... I used to take her to the sandbar with me quite a bit, but becuase of the stereo in the boat etc.. I leave her at home when I go down there now. She always goes for 3 - 5 boat rides per weekend though, and never misses the last trip to the launch ramp.
RD

Debbolas
12-01-2004, 10:12 AM
We take Sonny our Yellow Lab with us in the boat, almost all the time. He lays down in the cuddy cabin while we are underway.
We use a towel over the bow whenever we sand dock, to keep scratches off. He usually comes in the back over the engine cover. We've never had problems with him scratching up the paint or seats. :D
(well there was that one time when Scream caught his foot on prop lifting Sonny into the boat) :rolleyes:
All dogs are different, we have taken Sonny with us since he was a small pup. :D

Tahiti350
12-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Sounds like most of you had the opportunity to work with your dogs when they were pups. I "adpoted", nice word for liberated, a dog that had been abused, adn have spent the last year working with him. He isn't hurt physically (that I can tell), but they did a number on him emotionally. In the begining he would hide in the other room if I had anything (lunchbox, coat, anything!!) in my hands. I would have to put everything down as soon as I came in the house, before he would come to me. He is turning into a very happy, fun dog, and loves to pile up on in my lap in my chair (he's 70 lbs!!),but if I yell about something he still goes and hides.
I will probably start having him get in the boat at the house, and just sit there with him, and go from there to see how he does. Does anyone know if they make lifevests for bigger dogs? HE is part lab, but haven't had him around the water much, not sure how he is going to take that either.
Why am I the rescuer??? cars, boats, animals, bailing out friends.....
GaryB> Tahiti350

RiverDave
12-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Gary, sounds like you are quite the humanitarian and I applaud your efforts. :)
Not so sure if it's a good idea taking a "skiddish" dog into that kind of enviroment though?
RD

Tahiti350
12-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks,
Definately (NOT) taking him out right away. I have worked with animals for years, but never took my old Sheltie X (almost made 16 years, RIP) out in the boat, but Beemer (I didn't name him) has the potential to be that kind of dog. Would hate to leave him in camp, if we overnighted somewhere with the boat. Have taken him with us when we take the 5th wheel out, and gone from Tacome to mid-state Oregon several times, and he travels well dn is good aroud people. I just need to take my time and make sure he is okay before we go out in public (or a group).
BTW, what is OP6C 9????
GaryB> Tahiti350

RiverRatMike
12-01-2004, 11:29 AM
my dog corgi/king charles spanial mix just can't get enough of the lake/river.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4463MVC-280F.JPG

Squirtin Thunder
12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
GaryB> Tahiti350
At PetSmart and Overtons they have little booties for our 4 legged friends.
Jim

Ziggy
12-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Like you, I asked many questions before taking one of my dogs with me. But after I did I knew instantly she loved it. While underway she will sit right between the two front seats or wander up to the bow with my daughter......until I pick up the speed :p , then she will go sit on the floor in front of the back seat.
I was worried about her nails doing damage but not an iota of problem with that at all....we lay a towel down(wet) on any gel surfaces she might walk on, not only does it preserve the gel but it gives her good traction.

manuel
12-01-2004, 11:50 AM
They make dog life jackets for all sizes, here's a large one,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26450&item=4508615972&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
But I don't think you need one for a Lab, they are great water dogs, they will go for a swim just for fun even when nobody is home just to entertain themselves, Manuel

Tahiti350
12-01-2004, 11:52 AM
All,
Thanks for the info and advise. Just going to have to try it eventually and see how he does. Maybe some doggie dramamine too, "just in case".
GaryB> Tahiti350

Tahiti350
12-01-2004, 11:58 AM
But I don't think you need one for a Lab, they are great water dogs, they will go for a swim just for fun even when nobody is home just to entertain themselves, Manuel
Had a pool in the yard all summer and he wouldn't go near it. I'm also not positive about the lab, but that's my best guess. He does have webbed feet... I am more concerned about him jumping and gettting hit by the boat, they don't swim too well unconcious.
GaryB> Tahiti350

RiverDave
12-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Had a pool in the yard all summer and he wouldn't go near it. I'm also not positive about the lab, but that's my best guess. He does have webbed feet... I am more concerned about him jumping and gettting hit by the boat, they don't swim too well unconcious.
GaryB> Tahiti350
Well if it makes ya feel any better.. My dog HATES swimming and really isn't all that fond of water much beyond belly depth. But she loves playing so she'll jump in the pool if it's some kinda game for her. You have to find a way that you can make it "fun" for him/her then they'll swim. I can tell you my dog has an absolute great time, running and jumping into the water, right up until the swimming part happens then she has a look of sheer terror on her face until she gets out and does it again.. LOL (hates the water, and I mean HATES..)
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/Random/Neva3.jpg
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/Random/Neva5.jpg
RD

welk2party
12-01-2004, 12:31 PM
My dog LOOOOOOOOOOOVES the water and going to the lake. She runs to the boat when we are getting ready to leave. She will even jump off the docks and swim to the boat rather than walk on the docks to it. I have to hold her back when we slow down and head in to a beach. She will stand in the water until you throw something for her to fetch. She is fond of trying to bring the anchor buoy back in for me. Not quite a strong enough swimmer for that. :D

malibuken
12-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Our 2 dogs love to go boating, and as Ziggy and others have said, just lay towels down in places you do not want scratched. We have never had a problem with scratches or anything to date. One dog is 70 pounds the other is 40, both just mixes.
As for the dog life jacket, we got one for both and they wear them while under way all the time, just in case. When we stop and let them out they can take them off.
Like Snoopy said once in a Peanuts comic, the only way to have a good time on a trip is to take your dog with you. :)

SoCalHD
12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Our pit bull Bozo loves ANY kind of ride!! He will run you over to get into the car to make sure he doesn't get left behind. For the boat, we have the booties for his paws. He doesn't like them, but he understands that booties=not staying at home when the boat is hooked to the truck. When we are cruising around, he either checks out the action from the open bow, sleeps in the cuddy cabin, or lays by my wife's feet! :D