PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Need 2-Stroke Mechanic

BADBLOWN572
12-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Does anyone know of any good 2 stroke mechanics in the LA or OC area? Siezed up a Banshee engine over the Thanksgiving weekend and cant figure out why. Plenty of oil, coolant, and I mix the fuel at 32:1 which is actually fatter than it needs to be, but better too much oil than not enough.
Took the bike over to Trinity before the season to have them to do a tune up and make sure that it is ready to go for the season. 2nd trip out and motor siezes. $200 tune up down the drain. :mad: Pretty sure something major went away :cry: I am hoping to find someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to do something as a side project. Help Please!!!

THOR
12-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Danny,
I dont know of any off hand, but I have experience in Glamis as I have seized 3 motors on my bikes there before I learned that the jetting has to be dead on before you hammer the throttle for extended amounts of time. I know you know about air:fuel ratios but small two strokes motors get real hot in a hurry if they are jetted too lean.

BADBLOWN572
12-01-2004, 08:50 AM
I had trinity check out the jetting in the carbs when they were doing their tune up before the trip and they said that it didn't appear to be a problem. We were only about 1/2 a mile from camp and we were not really on it when the motor went away. I started to hear a clanking noise, almost like a chain was loose, so I turned around to head on back to camp to check it out. As soon as I made it 100' back to camp (amost idling) the bike siezed.
I think that what happened was that the bike got hot and the head cracked. The reason why I say that is because when I stood the bike up to put it in the back of the truck, coolant came out between the motor and the pipes. If it is simply the head, I will be stoked. Gives me a reason to get more power out of the bike. :) I am also just praying that I didn't hurt anything else. I do know what I broke the front motor mount the previous day when I ate shit, but that should be able to be re-welded and be fine. Hopefully I just didn't crack the case when the motor siezed. I am thinking that this whole deal is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. :cry: :confused:

THOR
12-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Okay, when the motor was going south was it bogging down at all or did it just stop. The reason I am asking is because my old CR had a water pump problem where it would bog way down and stop, acting like it seized, but it wouldnt. But, it did leak coolant all over. When that was fixed I was golden.
Can you move the kick starter? You are okay of you can because you will more than likely just have 'top' end problems and not bottom end.

THOR
12-01-2004, 08:57 AM
One more thing Danny, the only closest off road place to Santa Ana would be Cycle Parts West on Beach and 22 fwy. I havent had any issues with them.

Hustler
12-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Pull the plugs to see if you have any coolant in the cylinder, also have you tried to kick it over since you got back? It might of just been a hot seize, if it still wont move I would think its time for a crank rebuild :mad: Good Luck with it. I use Vance & Hines in Sun Valley for all my motor work and have not had any problems with them.

BADBLOWN572
12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
I have not pulled the plugs yet to see if they have coolant on them. With the way that the coolant came out of the pipes, it could definitely be hydrolocked. Just have to figure out why it did get hydrolocked. I know just enough about 2 strokes to get myself into trouble. Know basics, but not much more. I need to find someone who is good and can accurately diagnose the problem and repair it. I know if I do it, parts will be scattered all over my garage and will never be back to the way it was. :2purples:
Danny

Hustler
12-01-2004, 09:34 AM
did the coolant come out of both cylinders or just one?

BADBLOWN572
12-01-2004, 09:53 AM
did the coolant come out of both cylinders or just one?
I am not sure. I really did not pay attention. I just wanted to get the thing into the truck and get it back to camp. I just know I saw a ton of anti-freeze come out of the motor/pipe joint.
Thanks Bill! Let me know. :)

THOR
12-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Uhhhh, I am getting frustrated thinking about this too. Have you taken off the housing for the water pump impellor?
Make sure you get that biatch running before the xmas/new years run.

BADBLOWN572
12-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Uhhhh, I am getting frustrated thinking about this too. Have you taken off the housing for the water pump impellor?
Make sure you get that biatch running before the xmas/new years run.
I have not taken the housing off the impellor yet. I am probably going to tear into it tonight or tomorrow sometime. Pull the whole motor out of the bike and get it ready to be fixed. Should know more by then.
I have a couple other bikes so it is not a problem for X-mas/New Years runs. This is just my favorite quad so I am kind of bummed that it happened. Oh well.

Racer277
12-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Call Jimmy Yokum
951-288-5530
You will like his attention to detail!
Specializes in ATV's.
When taking 2 strokes to Glamis, you have to REALLY jet up the Main Jet, sometimes the needle also. I go up about 10 sizes on the main to go to glamis, it won't even run down here jetted that way.
Adding more oil actually leans out the air/fuel mix, making the engine run hotter.
Good Luck, hope it's something small, as being that close to camp, a sieze seems unlikely, maybe blown head gasket?
Fingers crossed.