PDA

View Full Version : Shipping pump???

bulldawg art
04-17-2006, 04:45 PM
For those of you that sent your pumps off to be gone through, how did you package it. I went to the ups store to find some heavy duty boxes and foam, but they were of no help what so ever. Where can I find boxes/packing foam to suit my needs.
Art

superdave013
04-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I would scroung a heavy duty box from a dumpster (hey, might find something else good during the dive).
Cut a peice of plywood (3/8 ish) to fit the bottom of the box. Strap or band the pump to the plywood and then fill with newpaper, penuts or what ever and ship it. Don't take it to a UPS store and let them put the lable on it. They will bend you over. Go on line with UPS and do it then just drop it off at any place that has daily UPS pick up. You can drop it off at the UPS store for no extra charge if you already have it bag and tagged.

Duane HTP
04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Superdave, Don't want to contradict you, but here is a better way. When you put the pump in with the bottom square flange of the pump against the board or bolted to the board, UPS will break off the corners when they toss it around. Go ahead and put the board in for strength if you want. Put in about 3" to 4" of real dense packing on top of that. Then put the pump in the box upside down. and let it rest on the hand hole cover. Then pack the rest of the package full of packing. Be sure to put plenty on top too. Then when the pump falls off of the 10' high conveyor belt at UPS, it doesn't break the corners off of the suction housing. We've not had a broken pump since we started packing them this way. Just my .02

superdave013
04-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Nothing wrong with a better way.

retromek
04-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Here's another Idea I use when shipping stuff over 70lbs. get to home depot or other local store and get the biggest sterlite or rubbermaid case. Do the plywood deal on the bottom. Zip tie everthing together.
The easiest way then is to call DHL they'll pick it up at your house and the whole deal is alot lower price than UPS. Quicker by far too.
Here's a pict of what I'm talking about

bulldawg art
04-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys. I was thinking of the rubbermaid box too, but didn't think they would be able to handle being "mis handled" and possibly crack. I was also thinking of using an old cooler. I am going to poke around for a suitable box today. If I can't find one, I may try the cooler idea.