PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god..is it ever hard..I've been pullin for over an hour

hoolign
12-01-2004, 04:26 PM
and this bloody guitar is a bitch to learn.... :eek: what'd ya think this was about?...I learnt a song damn near backwards since I was reading the tablature wrong :D :D what a bastard this instrument is!

RiverOtter
12-01-2004, 04:28 PM
and this bloody guitar is a bitch to learn.... :eek: what'd ya think this was about?...I learnt a song damn near backwards since I was reading the tablature wrong :D :D what a bastard this instrument is!
Gives ya a whole new respect for Eddie Van Halen :D

topless
12-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I thought you might have been harrassing that poor giraffe again.

NashvilleBound
12-01-2004, 04:30 PM
LOL...remember the tab is upside down for your strings....I just learned Jimmy Hendricks version of the Nation Anthem...its a tough one...but cool.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
12-01-2004, 04:30 PM
what song?

HCS
12-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Don't put the thing behind your head. Won't be so hard.

Tom Brown
12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm going to publish a tab for a four yank cum shot.

RiverOtter
12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
That is why I play drums :D

hoolign
12-01-2004, 04:33 PM
LOL...remember the tab is upside down for your strings....I just learned Jimmy Hendricks version of the Nation Anthem...its a tough one...but cool.
I'm trying skynard sweet home alabama..i don't know what the hell i was thinkin there!...it sure would make ol Lynard frown to see what i did to that song! :) :)

hoolign
12-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I thought you might have been harrassing that poor giraffe again.
i'm not touching that thing again....it's gonna be all up to you!
:jawdrop:

Boozer
12-01-2004, 04:35 PM
You gonna write the Dear Assholes theme song?

NashvilleBound
12-01-2004, 04:36 PM
We call that the Never Ending song...we will play that on stage and everyone goes crazy...I start it so its really cool. It can last forever.... It is a very easy song...patience grasshopper...it will cum......I mean...you'll get it!

hoolign
12-01-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm going to publish a tab for a four yank cum shot.
I'd probably read that wrong and knock myself up :D

NashvilleBound
12-01-2004, 04:38 PM
remember...
E Eat
A A (duh)
D Darn
G Good
B Breakfast
E Everyday

hoolign
12-01-2004, 04:38 PM
You gonna write the Dear Assholes theme song?
Dear assholes is off the air I thought ??? might be able to give a one chord intro!!!...should it be put back on the air!

Boozer
12-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Dear assholes is off the air I thought ??? might be able to give a one chord intro!!!...should it be put back on the air!
You write a cool enough theme song for it and we'll put it on the air again. F*ck what the FCC says we'll put it on sirius.

hoolign
12-01-2004, 04:40 PM
remember...
E Eat
A A (duh)
D Darn
G Good
B Breakfast
E Everyday
I'm getting better at the individual chords..but the transittion creates a whole new meaning to the phrase tone deaf :p
do you know any good excersizes ( shut up Brown) for learning transition??

Sane Asylum
12-01-2004, 04:44 PM
TARD :supp: .........Thanks for sharing......

NashvilleBound
12-01-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm getting better at the individual chords..but the transittion creates a whole new meaning to the phrase tone deaf :p
LMAO.....
Actually all of the Blues scales are great for getting your fingers to work right. I took lessons for 6 months then they had me on stage...it was quite a learning curve. Mostly by ear.... When you get it you'll know. You really need to put the time in to get satisfaction. When you can tell where the songs is supossed to go...your there. Leads, as a general rule, are a step and a half up...(at least in my mind)....hope that helps....and take some lessons!
Go to some of the tab sites like Cowpie for country or ony of the others...there are dozens...

FMluvswater
12-01-2004, 04:49 PM
I'd probably read that wrong and knock myself up :D
LMGDFAO! :D :D :D Nice!

spectras only
12-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Try to play Les Paul's music [ multiple tracks :2purples: ] I used to practice :hammer2: Jeff, stick with the giraffe :D

rrrr
12-01-2004, 05:04 PM
You need to learn what a "pulloff" and "hammer" are and practice them. That's the way the measure after you sing the phrase "Sweet Home Alabama" is done. Much easier than picking it.
As for the little riff between verses, try and find someone that knows the song and can show you the technique. It's real easy, sort of a rolling motion with index finger barring a, d, g, b, middle finger and ring finger hammering on a.
Listen to the song and you'll hear what I mean.
Drink heavily. That helps. :D :D
edit: I had to go get my guitar and play the riff, I described it incorrectly. Oops! :D

Froggystyle
12-01-2004, 05:15 PM
The key thing is (no pun intended...) is to take them literally one note at a time. Then two. Never, ever progress until you have each segment perfect. Once you start stringing together a couple of notes, you will realize that your fingers will find a bit of a rhythm of their own, and develop the muscle memory.
For sweet home, the toughest part is the pull offs and hammer ons if you don't know what you are doing. Without sounding like a jackass to those who have no idea what I am talking about, forget about the cadence of the song, and what it sounds like and get the right hand movements correct. Just change the chord with your left hand. DO NOT PROGRESS until you have each part perfect. After you have the right hand down, try doing the first five notes over and over again. The next five are the same thing, but down a string basically. Just do the four picking notes, then the one pull off. Bum bum ba da ba. Next, hammer the sixth note on with a pluck and do it again with the new fingering. Then, make sure after the fifteenth note you nail the whole "D" chord (as near as I can remember) with a really good ring. Do the first progression of the intro over and over again until you get it right, then do the last part later as it is nothing but hammer ons and pull offs. Tough little nut to crack.
Good practice though. My first nightmare was learning "Voodoo chile... slight return" from SRV. Somehow, I figured that was going to be the song I learned how to read tab on!
Jeff is right. Practice the minor pentatonic scales over and over, in every formation. Then the majors. Then the normal scales, then the diminsihed scales. Nothing build leads like scales. Then move on to arpeggios, then harmonics, etc...
My advice is though... learn how to strum before you learn scales and leads. If you really want to learn some good stuff, practice Jack Johnson and Dave Matthews. Great rhythm stuff.
Last thing... Eddie is the greatest rock guitar player ever not because of his lead playing, which is obviously stellar, but rather his rhythm. He can hold the whole band down by himself, and still rock the tasty leads that don't leave you wishing for another guitar player.
Rhythm playing is the most important.

Boatcop
12-01-2004, 05:23 PM
When you master "Over the Hill and Far Away" by Zep you'll be up into my league. :D

rrrr
12-01-2004, 05:42 PM
When you master "Over the Hill and Far Away" by Zep you'll be up into my league. :D
The all hammer and pulloff song, LOL :D

hoolign
12-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Lots of good advice as usual from the hot boat crowd. This instrument is a real test in patience. I recieved it last year and became progressivley angered with the lack of advancement I was seeing :mad: if Skynard could see what i'm doing to his song i'm sure there would be a lawsuit :D, i
Feel free to post links to some tab sites, I have some off of olga, I'm looking for a site that has tab for idiots :D the very basics..Thanks Jeff.

Boatcop
12-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Try this:
http://www.guitartabs.cc/
Lots of different tabs and chords for hundreds of songs.
I've been working on some Foo Fighter's Stuff.

rmylek
12-01-2004, 06:54 PM
If your new the this guitar stuff try some ac/dc songs alot of there songs are just 3 cords. It will give you the practice of sliding up and down the neck. Don't worry i can't play either that's why i'm a sound man.

rrrr
12-01-2004, 07:12 PM
If your new the this guitar stuff try some ac/dc songs alot of there songs are just 3 cords.
LMAO, as we suspected all along... :D :D :D

Froggystyle
12-01-2004, 07:34 PM
The best bit of advice is to get lessons from a good instructor. Not a good player... a good instructor.
There is a world of difference between good players and good instructors. Find yourself a good instructor, pay them $40 for half an hour and learn more in that 30 minutes than you would learn in six months practicing by your onesy on the edge of the bed.
Trust me on that one.

hoolign
12-01-2004, 07:44 PM
The best bit of advice is to get lessons from a good instructor. Not a good player... a good instructor.
There is a world of difference between good players and good instructors. Find yourself a good instructor, pay them $40 for half an hour and learn more in that 30 minutes than you would learn in six months practicing by your onesy on the edge of the bed.
Trust me on that one.
If I can ever score some time off I plan to, right now i'm just trying to learn a couple of basic things, that will show me some progression so I don't get all pissy at this thing..nothing worse thantrying to grasp somthing ( shut up Brown) and not seeing any improvement!

Kim Hanson
12-01-2004, 07:56 PM
You should have pulled that string machine out when I see ya last, I know alittle bit about them........( . )( . )........Stair Way to Heaven is a easy one! I haven't touched a guitar in 12 yrs. now, isn't it like riding a bike :D I use to try what I heard in the bar when I lived in Red Deer..with 2 big kick ass Marshall Amps, security shut off our power many times! He was about 4 feet tall and if told him to **** off, he did! Last time they shut it off before we moved back to Lloydminster..he had this focker with him that couldn't get through the door, gave up playing that focking thing! Then we took up driving golf balls off the floor ..in a 6 story apartment through a patio window..that was pretty crazy ...
What was we talking aboot again :D .........( . )( . )..........Whammy bar is cool shit also..........

NashvilleBound
12-02-2004, 05:11 AM
Trust me on that one.
Exactly. Wes, I didnt even know you played...
If you want any songs in easy tab let me know...I have many links for different levels. Like posted before..ac/dc's Back in Black(for example) is very basic. 1-4-5...uh, ya. Anyways, let me know if you want anything....

JustMVG
12-02-2004, 05:34 AM
ANYTHING Jeff???!!! oh ooopps has to guitar related, i'm a dumb drummer won't do me any good..... Jeff, sending you those beer signs on Saturday, you should get them next week middle of the week i'd guess..MVG

NashvilleBound
12-02-2004, 07:36 AM
ANYTHING Jeff???!!! oh ooopps has to guitar related, i'm a dumb drummer won't do me any good..... Jeff, sending you those beer signs on Saturday, you should get them next week middle of the week i'd guess..MVG
Thanks Mikey. We should be drywalling the new shop next week. Perfect timing!!! Let me know $$$$$$$$$ Come on...some of my best friends are drummers. lol...... My son plays bass and I think I want to get some electric drums so my daughter and I can practice without driving the family crazy! Recommend any?

Froggystyle
12-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Exactly. Wes, I didnt even know you played...
If you want any songs in easy tab let me know...I have many links for different levels. Like posted before..ac/dc's Back in Black(for example) is very basic. 1-4-5...uh, ya. Anyways, let me know if you want anything....
Multiple bands, multiple albums... I would be a professional musician/producer right now instead of a boatbuilder if the parachute accident had not gotten in the way. The nerves to my left hand are cut and I can't feel the strings anymore... so... no more pro guitar player.

78Eliminator
12-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah, what Wes said.
Try to learn YYZ on bass. Not easy. :D