PDA

View Full Version : Which way does the bowl seal point

Mighty Thor
12-01-2004, 08:22 PM
I now have two JE bowls, one from my bad pump and one for my new jet with the jetovator. The two bowls are similar but not identical. on the old bowl the flat part of the bowl seal was facing forward toward the impeller and the lip was facing the rear where the bushings and oil are located. On the new bowl the flat is facing the oil and the lip is facing forward toward the impeller. One of them is obviously backwards. I asume that the lip should face the impeller with the idea of keeping the water out of the bushing area. If I remember right, the lip faces the pressure side so that the lip is pressed against the shaft. However, this is the first time I have had a liquid on both sides of a shaft seal so I better check with the experts. Also, If I ever rebuild this other pump I want to do it right.

Cs19
12-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Install it so you can see the spring.Spring towards you.

Mighty Thor
12-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Thats what I thought. The bowl that was backwards is the same jet that had the snaprings on wrong and resulted in a ground up intake and impeller. the local marine shop charged the previous owner 1500 to rebuild the pump and engine. Hell of a deal, made my purchase after the blowup a lot cheaper.

Mighty Thor
12-03-2004, 12:17 AM
81 viewers and no dissents, makes it unanimous I'd say.