PDA

View Full Version : What's required to Lemon law something?

Boozer
12-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Heres the scenario.
My dad has an 02 Dodge Ram. He has had it blow a radiator hose like 5 times. Everytime it blows he takes it in they say they fixed it and he gets it back a day later. A couple weeks ago the check engine light came on and the truck started running like sh*t. He took the truck in on Saturday and they said there is water in the oil. The assumption is that the block/heads or both warped and the motor has to be replaced. The thing has like 22K miles on it.
His truck is still at the dealership and he is waiting to hear what's wrong with it. In the mean time he is carless because they don't give out loaners or rentals on warranty work.
Can he get this thing lemon lawed? Don't most dealers give loaners?

Havasu Hangin'
12-01-2004, 08:42 PM
1793.22. (a) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Tanner Consumer Protection Act.
(b) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made to conform a new motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, within 18 months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles on the odometer of the vehicle, whichever occurs first, one or more of the following occurs:
(1) The same nonconformity results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the nonconformity has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the nonconformity.
(2) The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the nonconformity.
(3) The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents. The buyer shall be required to directly notify the manufacturer pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (2) only if the manufacturer has clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the buyer, with the warranty or the owner's manual, the provisions of this section and that of subdivision (d) of Section 1793.2, including the requirement that the buyer must notify the manufacturer directly pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (2). The notification, if required, shall be sent to the address, if any, specified clearly and conspicuously by the manufacturer in the warranty or owner's manual. This presumption shall be a rebuttable presumption affecting the burden of proof, and it may be asserted by the buyer in any civil action, including an action in small claims court, or other formal or informal proceeding.

Domn8er
12-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Heres the scenario.
My dad has an 02 Dodge Ram. He has had it blow a radiator hose like 5 times. Everytime it blows he takes it in they say they fixed it and he gets it back a day later. A couple weeks ago the check engine light came on and the truck started running like sh*t. He took the truck in on Saturday and they said there is water in the oil. The assumption is that the block/heads or both warped and the motor has to be replaced. The thing has like 22K miles on it.
His truck is still at the dealership and he is waiting to hear what's wrong with it. In the mean time he is carless because they don't give out loaners or rentals on warranty work.
Can he get this thing lemon lawed? Don't most dealers give loaners?
Yeah, most dealers give out loaners if the work is going to take overnight which in the case it definitely is. I believe the lemon law is where one particular problem has been fixed more than three times. It gets tricky because they can blame it on different things each time.

upsman105
12-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, most dealers give out loaners if the work is going to take overnight which in the case it definitely is. I believe the lemon law is where one particular problem has been fixed more than three times. It gets tricky because they can blame it on different things each time.
I have also heard three times with the same problem.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 08:51 PM
BOOZER IM the man you are looking for I just lemon lawed my ford I bought in January now Im back with team GMC. I have a couple of questions how many miles is on the truck when it first went in for the blown radiator hose and how many times has it been in for this problem and do u have all the records for it. You said it has been in 5 times well if the 5 times are all different let me know what they are for and I wouldlike to know how many miles are on the truck now??

Boozer
12-01-2004, 08:54 PM
BOOZER IM the man you are looking for I just lemon lawed my ford I bought in January now Im back with team GMC. I have a couple of questions how many miles is on the truck when it first went in for the blown radiator hose and how many times has it been in for this problem and do u have all the records for it. You said it has been in 5 times well if the 5 times are all different let me know what they are for and I wouldlike to know how many miles are on the truck now??
I get all that info from my dad tomorrow and let you know.
I think after this dilemma team Dodge is no longer going to be a part of our family. I had never ending tranny problems with my Durango before I got rid of it and now these problems with his truck.

Parker Dreamin
12-01-2004, 08:55 PM
also raise hell about being carless... I had the same thing happen to me and I spoke up and they put me in a car everytime. I contacted the BBB and GMC got there act together and put me in a new ride, bought the thing back and paid me back every payment I made to them.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
After I lemon lawed my ford I went to go buy a new excursion and the damn thing ran all the coolant out on the test drive they wanted me to buy it I was like yea right with a warped block and warped heads come on. Then they said it was okay I was like yea oh so you know for a fact everything receated(sp) properly. Come on Im going back to the Heartbeat Of America

voodooCanoe
12-01-2004, 08:59 PM
I assume the truck has a 4.7 in it? If so and the radiator hose has come off 5 different times, I'm sure it has overheated. Most likley the heads are warped.
I have never seen a block problem with that motor, but the heads do not like to be overheated.
As for the Lemon Law deal, all states are different. But I don't believe it would qualify at this time. He should have filed after the radiaor hose came off the 3rd time. The first step is arbitration no matter what and he should get ahold of Chrysler (1-800-992-1997). Anytime you contact them they have to start a "care file" and it will have to be addressed by either the dealer or district manager. Be sure you get a file # for your referance.

voodoomedman
12-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Gotta love the Chevy's. And if you do have a problem(every brand will have a couple of bad ones) they will take care of it. My in-laws ran a lemon(minor check engine light problem) law on a blazer and they got all their money back. Payments, down payment and a couple of months of rental car because the attorney said park it and get a rental.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Screw that arbitration is a freakin joke they are all byiast (sp) and if they dont all agree then you are fawked. I have been to arbitration and it is a joke dont waste your time Ill get you the attorney I just need some questions answered and he will get your money back in 30 days all payments etc and some of the extras you have put on the truck..
The only company that I know is good at this as far as giving your oney back with out a fight is General Motors

voodooCanoe
12-01-2004, 09:18 PM
He's f***ed already, The vehicle is too old. If arbitration is biast, its in favor of the customer, I have been involved with many different cases and all but 2 have gone in favor of the customer. Most people that don't win in arbitration have a shit pot case anyway.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Hes not screwed yet factory warranty on the dodge is atleast 3 yrs 36k miles. Fawk if arbitration is. I had my truck in the shop 10 times for one problem in the first 4 months fawk it was in the shop with 900 miles on it. Arbitration told me it wasnt sufficent times for them to fix it fawk 10 times in 4 months that isnt sufficent well please tell me what is I got a 50k truck and the dealership is giving me a FORD FOCUS come on

voodooCanoe
12-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Factory warranty is 3/36 basic and 7/70 powertrain, its just that the Lemon Law dosn't apply within the same time frame.
The vehicle will be fixed regardless.
Sorry you had so much problem with Ford, but with Chrysler they might do thing different, not better , not worse, just different. I have been with them 15 years and just know how I have gotten things handled.
It sound like Boozer's dad has a bigger "DEALER" problem than a vehicle problem. If they can't fix it try another shop.
Rember the Dealer get paid for fixing the vehicle and gets charged back for comebacks. Its in their best intrest to fix it correctly.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 09:44 PM
I got a attorney that can get there money back why waste the time or effort with arbitration just to get some wheels spinning and get pissed at the end..

topless
12-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Call me tomorrow. I'll have all the info for you.
Love ,
:D Mom

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 09:47 PM
:confused: :confused:

Daytona19
12-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Dodge didnt do shit for me and my problem was documented from 12,000 miles. At 40,000 miles the motor was gone and I was left paying for repairs. Never buy Dodge again.

ELVIS
12-01-2004, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Eliminator 4 Life]Screw that arbitration is a freakin joke they are all byiast (sp) and if they dont all agree then you are fawked. I have been to arbitration and it is a joke dont waste your time Ill get you the attorney
I second that, First I tried arbitration and was told that ''seat belts" were NOT a safety item. Got a lawyer and got all my $$$$$ back.

voodoomedman
12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Eliminator 4 Life]Screw that arbitration is a freakin joke they are all byiast (sp) and if they dont all agree then you are fawked. I have been to arbitration and it is a joke dont waste your time Ill get you the attorney
I second that, First I tried arbitration and was told that ''seat belts" were NOT a safety item. Got a lawyer and got all my $$$$$ back.
Ummmmmmmm. don't they actually call them "safety belts" now.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Booozer wasssup