PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 12:12 AM
With a 350 out of a 71' Chevelle? I dunno and I am looking to you guys for ideas. I just got it and i already know I want to build it up, just don't know how much. A blower setup, used or new isn't out of the question. I want only to never be beaten by a lil Jap shitbox.

AMC-Nut
12-02-2004, 12:19 AM
I would make it into a 302 and run it up to about 10,000 RPMs and run a trans brake in a powerglide or th400.
I used to pull the front tires of my '67 camero clean off the ground with radials on the street using a 302 and a transbraked powerglide. Ran 11.20's after the body was acid dipped, I finally wrecked the car when I fell asleep at the wheel into corn field, totaled it.

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 01:02 AM
I would make it into a 302 and run it up to about 10,000 RPMs and run a trans brake in a powerglide or th400.
I used to pull the front tires of my '67 camero clean off the ground with radials on the street using a 302 and a transbraked powerglide. Ran 11.20's after the body was acid dipped, I finally wrecked the car when I fell asleep at the wheel into corn field, totaled it.
Holy shit you just pegged the bullshit meter. And only 11.20's? jesus my 4360 lb dart run 11.73's and I have 2.76's in the rear end.

LakesOnly
12-02-2004, 01:21 AM
...I finally wrecked the car when I fell asleep at the wheel into corn field, totaled it.
Years ago, I fell asleep at 80 mph once on Hwy 10 in Santa Monica. Ripping along in a little ol' Datsun 510, I was startled awake by the right side of my car dropping down into some road construction about a foot below the pavement that ran for about 100 ft. Where the construction abruptly ended and the road began again (12 inches higher), the right strut was damn-near torn out of the car. Had a spare flown down from San Francisco and repaired it in a parking lot.
Ahhhh....good times. :D
In regards to the original queston, lighten up that chebelle as much as you can and build for a blown deal. Gear down.
I looked at a 1964 GTO roller the other day. I wanted to put a 500-some-odd Ford engine in it and piss a few guys off at the strip. But I passed...way too many projects at the moment....
LO

AMC-Nut
12-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Hey Blown,
Blow me! This is the car at Daytona in '81, please notice the 9 in the window. My dad had his shop directly across from Smokey's then and Smokey built the motor in about '70 and traded it to my dad for some shop work. We later sold the car to Chuck Dotson who ran it in the Pro Stocks with a 355. I then bought the car back in 86' as a rolling chasis and ran it on the street with the 302. Bite me BIATCH!
http://www.members.cox.net/ryan.bailey/'67.gif

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 01:58 AM
Hey Blown,
Blow me! This is the car at Daytona in '81, please notice the 9 in the window. My dad had his shop directly across from Smokey's then and Smokey built the motor in about '70 and traded it to my dad for some shop work. We later sold the car to Chuck Dotson who ran it in the Pro Stocks with a 355. I then bought the car back in 86' as a rolling chasis and ran it on the street with the 302. Bite me BIATCH!
Those dont look like radials and that sure as hell aint tha street. Hey it's your world. :)

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 02:00 AM
With a 350 out of a 71' Chevelle? I dunno and I am looking to you guys for ideas. I just got it and i already know I want to build it up, just don't know how much. A blower setup, used or new isn't out of the question. I want only to never be beaten by a lil Jap shitbox.
A blown small block would be the shit. You have an endless supply of options for that motor.

AMC-Nut
12-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Yup, it is my world and the number in the window ain't 11.2, it's a 9. I drove this car to high school for 2.5 years from about '91-'93 and the only changes were mufflers, tires and glass. I am looking for a picture in street fighter mode and I think I got one of it when it's wrecked.

superdave013
12-02-2004, 06:05 AM
no blower, keep it under the hood if you ask me. I'd build a nasty Nitrous engine myself.

steelcomp
12-02-2004, 06:23 AM
Holy shit you just pegged the bullshit meter. And only 11.20's? jesus my 4360 lb dart run 11.73's and I have 2.76's in the rear end.
And that was with a two barrel!!! :D

Tahiti350
12-02-2004, 06:58 AM
Dump the 350, put in a 427cid SBC, stock appearing, but with a heavy hidden port nitrous system, sticker it as a 307/2bbl, tell them you just swapped the manifold and carb, and put headers on the 307, then run the imports for titles.

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 08:44 AM
A blown small block would be the shit. You have an endless supply of options for that motor.
I am yanking it right after Christmas, but I really need some specifics on what to have done if I am putting a blower on it. I think a couple guys on here have shops right?

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 08:45 AM
no blower, keep it under the hood if you ask me. I'd build a nasty Nitrous engine myself.
That would mean building the bottom as stought as for a blower? Right?

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Dump the 350, put in a 427cid SBC, stock appearing, but with a heavy hidden port nitrous system, sticker it as a 307/2bbl, tell them you just swapped the manifold and carb, and put headers on the 307, then run the imports for titles.
Want to stick with what I got unless the block is un buildable. But you have the right idea. Domination.

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Yup, it is my world and the number in the window ain't 11.2, it's a 9. I drove this car to high school for 2.5 years from about '91-'93 and the only changes were mufflers, tires and glass. I am looking for a picture in street fighter mode and I think I got one of it when it's wrecked.
Couldcha splain this then??

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 09:13 AM
I am yanking it right after Christmas, but I really need some specifics on what to have done if I am putting a blower on it. I think a couple guys on here have shops right?
Talk to infomaniac.

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
And that was with a two barrel!!! :D
Yeah, thats it. :idea:

LakesOnly
12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
'67 Camaro with...'68 doors...?
Nice pic...
SD's nitrous idea makes sense if you want to blow the doors of the imports; afterall that's what they're doing these days (that and/or a turbo).
As far as keeping the engine under the hood, is a paxton too wussy-shitt for this potentially stealth project?
LO
ps: By the way speaking of '67 Camaros ending up in in fields, back in high school a friend of mine spent everything he had on a 1967 Z28...one of 602 made. Got stolen out of his driveway one night and was eventually found in a huge field, stripped. The owner actually lowered a camera into the trunk and snapped a picture of the field in front of the car. :(

flat broke
12-02-2004, 11:27 AM
There is a HUGE difference between not being beat by ANY ricer, and not being beat by MOST ricers. If $$ is no object, then no problem, but to beat the current cream of the crop rice boys, you're going to need to drop some $$. I'm with SD, keep it stealth. Half of the ricers wont run American stuff if it looks/sounds healthy. A blower poking out the top not only ruins the lines of the car, but doesn't do much for chiding unsuspecting ricers into an asswhoopin. They're all quick to rev, but few will pull past 3rd to make a race of it.
I'd be looking at possible a 383/406 build focusing on extremely tough bottom end components and tolerances to ensure that everything stays striaght once you're spinnin over 7k. Up top you have a slew of head choices, and I'd probably look to do either a turbo setup, a large centerfugal supercharger, or a BIG shot of nos. Of the three choices, 1 and 2 with fuel injection would get the best possible daily driver results, but cost far more $$$, and violate the KISS principle. Either way, your also going to have to put that car on a little bit of a diet, pay close attention to your rear end gearing and suspension setup, and run a shitload of tire to put it to the ground. Oh and did I mention, spend some good $$ on brakes :)
Honestly, I've never liked purpose built straight-line cars. That Chevelle would look sick on 18s dropped running good rubber with a good coilover and revised control arm setup, sporting brembos at 4 corners, a Richmond 6sp and able to pull as many gs in a corner as it can on acceleration ;) Cause the second you start spankin smaller cars, the first thing they'll say is "yeah but our cars can out handle yours"
Chris

UBFJ #454
12-02-2004, 03:06 PM
One of the Guys on our Team is bound and determined to build a moderate ci SBC with Twin Turbooooo's and put it into a lighter jet hull in the Not Too Distant Future ...

Sleek-Jet
12-02-2004, 03:31 PM
I just saw that you don't want to change blocks, I'd go with a 383, Air Flow research heads, no drugs, agreed on the Richmond 6 speed, suspension mods to make it handle, some sort of brake upgrade... and leave it ugly.
There is nothing better than a car with crappy paint spanking everyone on Saturday night... sleepers rule.

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Mo-Town, 454 small block, Air Flow research heads, no drugs, agreed on the Richmond 6 speed, suspension mods to make it handle, some sort of brake upgrade... and leave it ugly.
There is nothing better than a car with crappy paint spanking everyone on Saturday night... sleepers rule.
True dat, when I lived in so cal there was a dude in my neighbor hood that had an old primered nova wagon that had n2o small block and kicked alot of ass.

Jordy
12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
I'd be looking at possible a 383/406 build focusing on extremely tough bottom end components and tolerances to ensure that everything stays striaght once you're spinnin over 7k. Up top you have a slew of head choices, and I'd probably look to do either a turbo setup, a large centerfugal supercharger, or a BIG shot of nos. Of the three choices, 1 and 2 with fuel injection would get the best possible daily driver results, but cost far more $$$, and violate the KISS principle.
Chris
My thoughts exactly. 350 block, 400 crank, Pro-charged, fuel injected and off to the races. :D

Jordy
12-02-2004, 04:16 PM
True dat, when I lived in so cal there was a dude in my neighbor hood that had an old primered nova wagon that had n2o small block and kicked alot of ass.
I remember that guy. He was running 6's on street tires once he got the paint off his car. :rolleyes:

flat broke
12-02-2004, 04:54 PM
I saw some somewhat bizzaro shyt loosly related to this build on my way back from lunch today. Late model camaro, sounded like it had a turbo. Got up on it, and from behind, all kinds of stuff hanging where the exhaust should be. This cat mounted his turbo in the back of the car, Air intake/filter was sitting right behind the left rear quarter. Then from what I could see, a 2.5 maybe 3" tube running back up front. I guess it's conceiveable that if you used some sort of extruded tube with cooling fins etc, that the airflow under the car could work in an air/air IC setup. even a long aluminum tube would have to disapate some heat. And considering that camaro's have no grilles so a front mount IC is out of the question. Has anyone seen anything like this pre-fab inthe aftermarket? The thing had a gay ass BOV on it that whistled a little too much, but hey, it was definitely different.
Chris

flat broke
12-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Oh and one more thing on the motor build deal. Last I heard the crate LS1s were dynoing around 400hp from the factory with headers and a open element filter. They're cheap too. If you wanted to go forced induction FI, that would probabably be somethin you'd want to look at. I know you want to keep the current block, but make sure to look at the total cost/hp ratio.
Chris

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Starting to lean to the nitrous side, I think I would get more life out of it too. What do you have to have done to make sure it will hold up? And what about the heads? The Nos kit is cheap, The Holley carb is not bad either don't know if I should go with the 800 or the 1000??? And what about the intake.
One more thing, is Summit Racing good to do biz with or who do you recommend?

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Oh and one more thing on the motor build deal. Last I heard the crate LS1s were dynoing around 400hp from the factory with headers and a open element filter. They're cheap too. If you wanted to go forced induction FI, that would probabably be somethin you'd want to look at. I know you want to keep the current block, but make sure to look at the total cost/hp ratio.
Chris
This one http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=464&Category_ID=2&src=gls1
it's 320 HP, and there is a nitrous kit for it.

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 05:14 PM
This one http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=464&Category_ID=2&src=gls1
it's 320 HP, and there is a nitrous kit for it.
This is the Nos kit. http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSNS/LS1NOSzle.htm

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 06:04 PM
http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/category.aspx?SID=2&Category_ID=2&
Lots of GM crate stuff, what looks good to you?

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 06:09 PM
As far as keeping the engine under the hood, is a paxton too wussy-shitt for this potentially stealth project?
:(
Help me out here lakes, ya lost me buddy???????

KACHINA KEN
12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Help me out here lakes, ya lost me buddy???????
OK I found the page.

flat broke
12-02-2004, 09:41 PM
The 320 that gm quotes on the LS1 complete dealio is low. There's been more than one article where the baseline numbers came in at 400 or better before they started tweaking. Steve Brule probably has TONS of data on your basic build small block stuff as he sees lots of mag stuff through his doors.
In answer to your question about doing anything special on a NA/Nitrous deal. That really depends on what you want to do with the car. You can make some very nitrous specific choices on everything from pistons to cam profiles. The trade off is that some of these nitrous specific choices might not be the optimum NA setup.
Honestly, these types of projects should always start with a numeric goal. Not, "I want to beat so and so", but I want to go X fast and get there in X seconds. Then you look around and see what it takes to get there. There's lots of ways to skin the cat, but first you gotta figgure out which cat to skin. ;) Saying you want to whip on ricers isn't quite good enough. You'll need to define which ricers you want to beat, and how fast they are going. Then build a car that will easily over shadow that ET or MPH. Otherwise you'll always be chasing undefined goals, and making drastic setup changes, often wasting money on one incarnation when you totaly revamp to beat the next guy.
So the topic for the next thread should read, "what SBC and driveline combo will push my chevelle into the ...(insert desired bracket here)".
Chris

superdave013
12-02-2004, 11:05 PM
One more thing, is Summit Racing good to do biz with or who do you recommend?
They are fine if you know what you want. But if you have to ask some questions or get some advice good luck.
That's why I always say: SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SPEED SHOP WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!! In return they will be there for you when you need help or guidance.

dc96819
12-03-2004, 04:48 AM
10,000 RPMs :sqeyes:

Garrddogg
12-03-2004, 07:10 AM
I saw some somewhat bizzaro shyt loosly related to this build on my way back from lunch today. Late model camaro, sounded like it had a turbo. Got up on it, and from behind, all kinds of stuff hanging where the exhaust should be. This cat mounted his turbo in the back of the car, Air intake/filter was sitting right behind the left rear quarter. Then from what I could see, a 2.5 maybe 3" tube running back up front. I guess it's conceiveable that if you used some sort of extruded tube with cooling fins etc, that the airflow under the car could work in an air/air IC setup. even a long aluminum tube would have to disapate some heat. And considering that camaro's have no grilles so a front mount IC is out of the question. Has anyone seen anything like this pre-fab inthe aftermarket? The thing had a gay ass BOV on it that whistled a little too much, but hey, it was definitely different.
Chris
That is an "STS" remote mount turbo kit

KACHINA KEN
12-03-2004, 08:38 AM
The 320 that gm quotes on the LS1 complete dealio is low. There's been more than one article where the baseline numbers came in at 400 or better before they started tweaking. Steve Brule probably has TONS of data on your basic build small block stuff as he sees lots of mag stuff through his doors.
In answer to your question about doing anything special on a NA/Nitrous deal. That really depends on what you want to do with the car. You can make some very nitrous specific choices on everything from pistons to cam profiles. The trade off is that some of these nitrous specific choices might not be the optimum NA setup.
Honestly, these types of projects should always start with a numeric goal. Not, "I want to beat so and so", but I want to go X fast and get there in X seconds. Then you look around and see what it takes to get there. There's lots of ways to skin the cat, but first you gotta figgure out which cat to skin. ;) Saying you want to whip on ricers isn't quite good enough. You'll need to define which ricers you want to beat, and how fast they are going. Then build a car that will easily over shadow that ET or MPH. Otherwise you'll always be chasing undefined goals, and making drastic setup changes, often wasting money on one incarnation when you totaly revamp to beat the next guy.
So the topic for the next thread should read, "what SBC and driveline combo will push my chevelle into the ...(insert desired bracket here)".
Chris
Well i hear ya, and it's a pretty easy one for me to answer. Not necessarily looking to go out and race every night, I'll wind up dead or in jail. I just want to be able to swat the flies if you know what I mean. I guess the optimum setup for me is where it has between 350-425 hp and is a favorable setup for the N2O system. The LS1 and it's system look really impressive numbers wise and the support sites ar HUGE. Can you send me a link to any of the sites where you saw the 400 number? Did you believe the source?

Sleek-Jet
12-03-2004, 09:33 AM
I think that's right out of the GM Performance catalog. It's the LS6 engine (the 'vette engine), not the LS1 (the Camaro and GTO engine). If you're going to go with a Gen III, look at the HO 6.0 (The Escalade and Denali engine), it's cranking out around 360 hrs and gobs of torque. Also, the truck heads are supposed to have the most potential as well.
From the web-site:
12498399 LS6 Service Engine with Camaro Oil Pan Kit
This is a long block for a 2001-03 corvette RPO LS6 with 5.7L and 405 horsepower, which includes a Camaro oil pan assembly in the crate. The long block includes the corvette oil pan and for Camaro applications requires a change to the Camaro pan.
Scoggin-Dickey price (http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/153743/LS6-Service-Engine-with-Camaro-Oil-Pan-Kit-GM-Performance-Crate-Engine.htm)

flat broke
12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
If you are only looking for 400hp out of an SBC, build a strong 383, some decent heads, and you'll be there no problem, then put whatever nitrous system you feel you'll need on it, and have even more HP. 400HP from a single carb SBC is pretty much done to death. Pick up any Hotrod SuperChevy, or Carcraft and you'll probably find something that will work.
On the LS1 at 400hp issue, yes I believe the source. But its pretty much a moot point, since you're only looking for 425 HP NA, you can get a nice fully forged rotating assembly for your 350 block for less money and have more HP handling potential. If you were going to go the FI forced induction route, I'd opt more towards a complete Factory FI setup; but you're going to go with the nitrous build a stout forged bottom end, pick some nice heads, a cam profile that will work harmoniously with your projected nitrous levels, and then start shopping for a nice tranny and some rear end work.
Remember going fast means being able to stop fast. Leave some $$ in the budget for at least a front brake upgrade. That car is HEAVY and needs all the help it can get slowing down. I'd opt for a 6spd to have some more control over the car, but hooking up a clutch setup to live with with some hard launches under nitrous can be tricky if you want the pedal effort to be somewhat reasonable, and the engagement to be smooth enough for daily driver duty.
Chris

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 12:35 AM
If you are only looking for 400hp out of an SBC, build a strong 383, some decent heads, and you'll be there no problem, then put whatever nitrous system you feel you'll need on it, and have even more HP. 400HP from a single carb SBC is pretty much done to death. Pick up any Hotrod SuperChevy, or Carcraft and you'll probably find something that will work.
On the LS1 at 400hp issue, yes I believe the source. But its pretty much a moot point, since you're only looking for 425 HP NA, you can get a nice fully forged rotating assembly for your 350 block for less money and have more HP handling potential. If you were going to go the FI forced induction route, I'd opt more towards a complete Factory FI setup; but you're going to go with the nitrous build a stout forged bottom end, pick some nice heads, a cam profile that will work harmoniously with your projected nitrous levels, and then start shopping for a nice tranny and some rear end work.
Remember going fast means being able to stop fast. Leave some $$ in the budget for at least a front brake upgrade. That car is HEAVY and needs all the help it can get slowing down. I'd opt for a 6spd to have some more control over the car, but hooking up a clutch setup to live with with some hard launches under nitrous can be tricky if you want the pedal effort to be somewhat reasonable, and the engagement to be smooth enough for daily driver duty.
Chris
http://www.dartheads.com/csbhiron.htm
Which of these look good to you for my app???
BTW, thanks for all the info, I'm soaking it in.

HEAVYBOAT
12-04-2004, 02:05 PM
I just saw that you don't want to change blocks, I'd go with a 383, Air Flow research heads, no drugs, agreed on the Richmond 6 speed, suspension mods to make it handle, some sort of brake upgrade... and leave it ugly.
Why the AFR'S? What do you like about them?

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 03:03 PM
No Dart???

Sleek-Jet
12-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Talked to several engine people that like them for the price and perfomance potential.
If I was building a small block for the street and budget was an issue (with me it always is :D ), I'd pick up a set of Vortec's. For factory castings, they can't be beat.

Sleek-Jet
12-04-2004, 03:16 PM
No Dart???
When I was kicking around engine combos for the boat, I looked at building at small block stroker (427 ci) and seriously looked at Dart's Iron Eagle package as I didn't want aluminium heads on the boat. I wouldn't heasitate putting their porducts on my engine.

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 06:43 PM
I think the Dart heads are cheaper. I could be wrong though.

Sleek-Jet
12-04-2004, 06:47 PM
I think the Dart heads are cheaper. I could be wrong though.
Especially the iron ones. Summit has the Iron Eagle top end (Single plane intake and complete heads, 215cc runners) package for 1500.00. :jawdrop:
The people I've talked to said 215 - 220cc runners are about as big as you want to go on a street motor, but with the right set-up it should be a screaming little small block.

KACHINA KEN
12-05-2004, 01:21 AM
you can get a nice fully forged rotating assembly for your 350 block for less money and have more HP handling potential.
Chris
Chris, do you mean, pistons, crank , cam and rods all forged???