PDA

View Full Version : Who was born in SoCal...

78Eliminator
12-02-2004, 10:47 AM
...and lived there for most of their life, then moved away and are glad they did.
Tell me where you moved and why.

Tyson Ross
12-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Born and raised in Huntington Beach, went to school at SDSU and lived there for 6 yrs. then moved to Parker Strip and haven't looked back! Decided to live where I vacation.
We pay less for new home vs. 1 bedroom apt. in Pacific Beach :jawdrop:

OutCole'd
12-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Born in So Cal, lived there till 7 years ago. In Vegas now, would love to move back one day, right to the SCV for me.

faster
12-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Was Born here, moved to east coast for 18 months, couldn't wait to get back. California is the place to be.

Boatcop
12-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Born in Hollywood, lived in LA, Lennox, Hawthorne, Inglewood, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, joined the service in '75 and have been at the River now, since '87.
Wouldn't even consider living in Kalifornia now days.

Rev. Williams
12-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Born and raised in Northridge (the heart of the SFV) 36 years ago, and I'm still within 3 miles of that original house. It was really nice here until the "Brown Plague" migrated north from TJ :yuk: :devil: Now it's fading fast and I'm sooo ready to get out.

78Eliminator
12-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Traffic is getting insane, and so is the cost of living. I am not a rich man, and I know people in their 30s still living at home because it's too insanely expensive to buy a house. Looking to move, just not sure where.

Boozer
12-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Grew up in So-Cal. Left 6 1/2 years ago. Been back since July. Kind of regret coming back now but I'm here so I'll make the best of it.
If I could live anywhere in the US of my choosing Fort Collins, CO. is where I'd be.

Wicky
12-02-2004, 11:22 AM
moved to Boise to finish College at Boise State.
Met my wife.
Now, I just come down to visit.
I'm typing this from Claremont right now. Parent's gave me a house to move into carte blanc in Claremont and the wifey will not move down here.
Miss my friends here but, I also would miss some great people in Boise if I moved back to the southland.
Mow,
Wicky

jbtrailerjim
12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
It was really nice here until the "Brown Plague" migrated north from TJ :yuk: :devil: Now it's fading fast and I'm sooo ready to get out.
Damn, isn't that the truth. I have lived in So Cal my whole life. The Inland Empire to be exact. The traffic keep getting worse, houses are way too expensive, and it's so damn crowded. I'm just glad I bought my house eight years ago because I don't think I could afford to buy it now. I'd love to get out but I work for the family owned business. It would be tough to leave that. So, I guess here I stay in Crowdifornia. :rolleyes: :D

Havasu_Dreamin
12-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Born in Torrance, grew up in the San Gabriel Valley. Can't afford to buy a house, even out in the IE, where I currently live, becasue they are too damn expensive. Would like to move to AZ but I have a good paying job and doubt I? could get teh same pay and benefits since I've been with the company for 14 years in January. Plus I like my job.

mirvin
12-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Born in Torrance, grew up in Torrance, still live in Torrance with my wife who was born and raised in Torrance right down the street from our families who still live in Torrance.
I doubt I will ever actually escape........
mirvin :p

Havasu_Dreamin
12-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Born in Torrance, grew up in Torrance, still live in Torrance with my wife who was born and raised in Torrance right down the street from our families who still live in Torrance.
I doubt I will ever actually escape........
mirvin :p
I was born at Torrance Memorial in 1971. Parents lived in Torrance until I was about 6 months old and then moved to the SGV. My mom went to Gardena HS, graduated 7th in her class!

Tom Brown
12-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Traffic is getting insane, and so is the cost of living.
78E, how do you feel about opressively cold weather for 10 months of every year? :idea:

HCS
12-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Born in Hollywood, lived in LA, Lennox, Hawthorne, Inglewood, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, joined the service in '75 and have been at the River now, since '87.
Wouldn't even consider living in Kalifornia now days.
Come on up here...You no you'd love the delta.

HCS
12-02-2004, 11:59 AM
...and lived there for most of their life, then moved away and are glad they did.
Tell me where you moved and why.
Move up here and buy a house boat. You can anchor it on the delta for free and live on it. Just think. No yard work. Just maintain your boat and get drunk. There's many up here that do it.

JetBoatRich
12-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Born in Pacoima 64, live in the S.F.V the next 27 years :2purples: then Redondo Beach for 5 years, no the desert for 8 years :eek:

mirvin
12-02-2004, 12:06 PM
I was born at Torrance Memorial in 1971. Parents lived in Torrance until I was about 6 months old and then moved to the SGV. My mom went to Gardena HS, graduated 7th in her class!
That sounds about right:D My wifes parents went to Gardena. THe wife and I both went to Torrance High. Class of 87 & 88 :shift:
mirvin :D

78Eliminator
12-02-2004, 12:09 PM
That sounds about right:D My wifes parents went to Gardena. THe wife and I both went to Torrance High. Class of 87 & 88 :shift:
mirvin :D
Dang, you're old Mirv. Why is it that I have twice the grey hair that you have?????

HCS
12-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Class of 87 is old! :jawdrop:

78Eliminator
12-02-2004, 12:14 PM
I am just joking with the Mirvinator. I am class of 90, but I got kicked out of high school in 88 :D

mirvin
12-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Dang, you're old Mirv. Why is it that I have twice the grey hair that you have?????
Dood, I got you all day on the grey's my man;) You might have caught me after a "just five minutes" session or somthing. :hammer2:
BTW, I'm class of 88, the wife, now she's the one that's old......... :jawdrop:
mirvin

Tom Brown
12-02-2004, 12:18 PM
I am class of 90...
You shavin' yet?

78Eliminator
12-02-2004, 12:19 PM
You shavin' yet?
You mean my genital area?

Tom Brown
12-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Whatever. :)

Krazy K
12-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Born at Huntington Memorial in Pasadena (same as dad and sis)
Lived in Tustin until I was about 7, then moved to Irvine and lived there until I was 26. Parents lost the house to bankruptcy. I moved to Huntington Beach and rented a room above a store in a German Village shopping center. Stayed there for 6 months, got sick of my crack-smokin Jehovah Witness roommate and moved back in with Mom for 2 1/2 years. She remarried, I moved into my cousins cabin in Big Bear and worked the lifts at Bear Mountain. Season ended, sold my truck, rented a Uhaul and moved to Portland. Been here since July 1998. Even though the weather sucks at times, I wouldn't change it back.
I just got tired of the traffic almost 20 out of 24 hours a day, too many friggin people (pop. of OC is about the same as this STATE!) RUDE people, BROWN AIR! (we see brown a couple times during really hot weather) I also want to actually own a home before I die and that was not going to happen in OC. There is no scenery in So. Cal that matches the Columbia River Gorge.
I'm sorry but paying $1200/month to rent a 1 bedroom apartment in OC does not appeal to me. Oh, I can pay $800/month....if I want to live in BEAUMONT!! I pay $500/month for a 700 sq. ft. apartment here and I wouldn't trade it.

BeaverJ
12-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Born in Whittier, left So Cal at age 5 lived in Apple Valley area untill I was 8, then off to Montana until I was 26 then in Bullhead City, now I'm in NW Arkansas,,and miss the hell out of the desert,,,it snows here,,,,,,,damn.........

Pie Man
12-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Born in Santa Ana, Lived all over SoCal. Diamond Bar, Anaheim Hills, Orange,
Buena Park, Whittier, Placentia, Costa Mesa & Lake Isabella. My son was born in Whittier.
We left Cali when I was 22 and headed to Phoenix, Moved to Maryland after that, moved to Colorado Springs CO. and Then Denver. And now we are back in AZ.
What a road trip its been, Im not even in the military. Never afraid of change and the wife and kids feel the same. One thing is for sure, not heading back to Cali. My mom is building retirement home in Bullhead, right up the street from the river, wont have any need to go back after that. :clover:

Waldo
12-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Born Long Beach Memorial 1971.

prosthogod
12-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Born in Anaheim, lived there 24 years, went away to grad schools for 6 years and landes in "Snottsdale" Az. 10yrs ago. Wouldn't go back, in fact just talked my brother into moving out here last august. We are now building in Havazoo so we will be bicoastal arizonans.

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Born in westminster, lived in socal for 23 years till I got sick of it, moved to tha midwest other than a few months of cold weather it is alot better way of life. I left my garage door open a few months ago and the no body stole anything or came in. Btw, it is snowing now what ever will we do??? :D

Mrs. casean
12-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Born @ St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton, CA 1978 but lived in San Clemente.
Been here since :D

mbrown2
12-02-2004, 02:06 PM
I thought this thread was for only those that left but others that are still here chimed in...
Born in Baldwin Park, lived in La Puente till about 20, my future/current wife and I bought a place in Chino when we were 20 and lived there for about 10 years, moved to Simi 5 years ago...I love Simi, but I am tiring of Cali....probably be in the Phoenix/Chandler AZ area with 2-4 years..

Mrs. casean
12-02-2004, 02:13 PM
OOPS! Sorry, didn't read the original... I did leave to go to school in AZ for a year... if that counts... but I was glad to come back to CA... although I'd move for the right reasons... getting WAY too crowded here.

ColeTR1
12-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Born and raised in Huntington Beach, went to school at SDSU and lived there for 6 yrs. then moved to Parker Strip and haven't looked back! Decided to live where I vacation.
We pay less for new home vs. 1 bedroom apt. in Pacific Beach :jawdrop:
Tyson said it all!! Born and raised in Downey CA. Second Generation CA Native.

simple
12-02-2004, 02:23 PM
3rd Generation native Californian!
Born in LA
Raised in La Habra
Went to CSUF (Graduated 50th out of 51)
Lived in Yorba Linda since 1976
Can't stand the traffic, pace of life, or high cost of living anymore! No real alternative until I retire. From there, I want to get a place in Parker or Havasu as well as a place on the coast up above Santa Rosa.

ROZ
12-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Born and raised here.... Lived in San Diego County all my life...

bordsmnj
12-02-2004, 02:35 PM
born in westminster. grew up in stanton/garden grove. also lived in other places around the state-luecadia,big bear,mammoth,stockton,yucaipa,etc.

Umongus
12-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Born in So Cal, lived there till 7 years ago. In Vegas now, would love to move back one day, right to the SCV for me.
I don't know how long it's been since you've been back here but it's so crowded it takes ove 20 minutes sometimes to get to my gym thats only 7 miles away. Traffic in this valley is out of control.......I'll trade you :)
Tony

clownpuncher
12-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Born in L.A, raised in Huntington Beach and Fountaing Valley. Moved to Palm Springs at 22 for a job with the FD.
After my first emergency call on my first day (108 degrees in July, the steel bar was so hot I couldn't even hang on to the back of the truck), I swore I was maving back to HB.
Been here for almost 22 years now. Had a few businesses and wives to keep me anchored here. I love it in PS.

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 02:44 PM
born in westminster. grew up in stanton/garden grove. also lived in other places around the state-luecadia,big bear,mammoth,stockton,yucaipa,etc.
Where at in mighty stan tone???

bordsmnj
12-02-2004, 02:53 PM
patty land- across chapman from crow village.

throwerb
12-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Born at Huntington Memorial in Pasadena and have lived here for 43 years. My kids are 4th generation born here. I am moving to Tennessee in three weeks. Loved it here for the first 35 years and know I can't wait to leave. A lot of my family and friends are leaving also. Time to go when your property is still worth 6 times what you payed for it. The last and most important reason is, I won't stay in a place where the only qualification I lack in the upper mgmt job market is I don't speak spanish. They want it back they can have it.

life's a river
12-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Born and raised in Orange County. Due to high prices in housing, I had to move to the 909. Now the 951, EAST ORANGE COUNTY! Just 2 away from the 949.
LAR

Blown 472
12-02-2004, 03:09 PM
No shit, I used to live near ball and dale.

Mrs. casean
12-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Born and raised in Orange County. Due to high prices in housing, I had to move to the 909. Now the 951, EAST ORANGE COUNTY! Just 2 away from the 949.
LAR
ME TOO :D :D

cdog
12-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Born in Torrance at little Co. of Mary Hospital. Raised in Torrance and Riverside. Worked in Phoenix and Tucson from 1998 to 2000 and consider going back everyday. I'm really starting to despize this place. I'm a Realtor and the people I meet and work for get more and more greedy every day. Despite all of that I like trucks, guns, boats and hotrods. Kinda of a redneck thing here in OC. I'm giving it 2 more years so that I can start a brokerage, if that don't work, I'll be in Snottsdale AZ. I don't really want to have kids here.

cdog
12-02-2004, 03:35 PM
I spent thanksgiving in Tucson at my mother in laws. While being around her for too long is allways a miserable experiance, I had a great time with my Tucson friends. We went dirt bike riding 10 minutes away from the house on thanksgiving morning and to the shooting range ( also 10 minutes from the house) on Saturday morning. It takes almost an hour to get anywhere around OC or the 909 these days.

Flyinbowtie
12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Born and raised in Long Beach.
Left socal 9 days after graduation from David Starr Jordan in 1976.
Been in the Foothills of the Sierra Nevada ever since.
To keep peace in the family, we go down to visit the inlaws once a year.
I don't look forward to the trip.

Jeanyus
12-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Lived in Redlands from 1964 to 1986, moved to northern Ca. Just got back from Visiting my brother for thanksgiving. The freeways down there are parking lots. I'll never go back to much smog to many people.

mike37
12-02-2004, 04:44 PM
born in Inglewood grew up there
left now live in central Calif Paso Robles
had a lot of good times growing up there but now its not a great place
we would rid our bikes to Manhattan beach and hang there all day during the summer

91nordic29
12-02-2004, 05:29 PM
borni in redondo beach (south bay hospital). moved to tennessee when i was 9 (the hippies were coming!) :messedup: been in phoenix since 1984. only visit CA once in a while. parents still there in the 909 (OH MY GAWD!!!!) :wink: .

hot_diggity_dog
12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Born in Fullerton
Raised in Buena Park Valley View & Ball
HDD :D

hot_diggity_dog
12-02-2004, 06:14 PM
I Played football for Stanton when I was a kid LMAO
I had to deal with the Crow village crew in Jr. HS
HDD :D

Phat Matt
12-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Born in Whittier, lived in Diamond Bar. Moved to Portland when I was young and grew up there. After high school I moved to Havasu, then Phoenix, Tempe, Las Vegas, Fontana, Mentone Beach :wink: , and now live in Yucaipa. I'll probably be here awhile since i bought this house, but who knows. I'll go where ever the money takes me. :D

Misogynist
12-02-2004, 06:23 PM
What about those of us that actually MOVED to SoCal?........ and I'm talking moving SOUTH... Not North from across the border?.......... :supp:

Krazy K
12-02-2004, 06:24 PM
No shit, I used to live near ball and dale.
WOW, I used to live WITH a Ball & Chain!!! :p

Misogynist
12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
born in mercy hosp (sd,ca) in 1958,lived in el cajon till i was 19 then moved to temcula,ca till i was 32 moved to st george,ut 1 1/2 years moved back to temc,cal 1 year couldn't stand the cars and friends from south of the boarder,moved back to st george,ut.our next move will be summerset,ky or gillett,wyo,don't ask why :idea: :D
For God's sake..... why Gillette Wyo?... That has got to be the coldest windswept spot on the face of the earth in the winter... I worked on a school there once many years ago... :sqeyes:

Krazy K
12-02-2004, 06:27 PM
born in Inglewood grew up there
left now live in central Calif Paso Robles
had a lot of good times growing up there but now its not a great place
we would rid our bikes to Manhattan beach and hang there all day during the summer
My Mom and stepdad live in Paso. I love the Central Coast. If I ever moved back to Cali, I'd live in Morro Bay.

Krazy K
12-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Born in Whittier, lived in Diamond Bar. Moved to Portland when I was young and grew up there. After high school I moved to Havasu, then Phoenix, Tempe, Las Vegas, Fontana, Mentone Beach :wink: , and now live in Yucaipa. I'll probably be here awhile since i bought this house, but who knows. I'll go where ever the money takes me. :D
What part of Portland??

H20bug
12-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Born in Buena Park, attended sunny hills, Lived in the o.c until 29, and then hit the bricks!!!......To Crowded!!!!!!! now loving life in A.Z. :D

SHOTKALLIN
12-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Traffic is getting insane, and so is the cost of living. I am not a rich man, and I know people in their 30s still living at home because it's too insanely expensive to buy a house. Looking to move, just not sure where.
thats the beauty of the 951. so much cooler than livin with yer mom. gain some equity and move where you want. its easier to get equity than to save up. unless mom lets you kick it rent free.
just my .02

spectratoad
12-02-2004, 08:39 PM
I was born in Gardena and moved to Reno when I was four. Looking at the way things are now I am glad I moved. My dad got transferred up her with Xerox.

TCHB
12-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Born in Norwalk and been in Huntington Beach for 25 years. We have a vacation home in Havasu and may move someday? We both like Huntington and work pretty close to home.

hot_diggity_dog
12-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Bordsmnj, crow village was off of Katella. Blown 472, raised and went to school at Ball and Dale and still owned a home there until about 3 years ago. You aren't that lil kid I used to slap around on the way home from school by the JIB are you? :D
Rio
Then you remember Appolo Jr. HS before they tore it down and built the condo's?
HDD :cool:

HavasuHome
12-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Born in California 60 years ago. Lived in LA, Gardena, Torrance, Arcadia, Temple City and now Monrovia. I love So. California but am retiring to Havasu possibly next year. Own a home there with my son. Tired of all the people and traffic here. Can't wait to get out!

JustMVG
12-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Then what would the Class of '78, 1978 that is , be? Ancient??!! Cro magnon period....

JustMVG
12-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Born as raised in the Burbank No. Hollywood area lived here till 89 then moved to Oahu for 2 yrs, couldn't wait to get back, caught island fever, now when i go over there i just can't sit still, get bored easily.
Live in Fontana now, just closer to work is all, big adjustment from SFV though.
MikeVG

BIGAMIST
12-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Born in Van Nuys 1970...........32 years in SFV........2 years between Texas & Arizona, would never go back to Texas................
Gotta give the Rev. an AMEN ;)

C-2
12-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Then what would the Class of '78, 1978 that is , be? Ancient??!! Cro magnon period....
No, don't flatter yourself.
Pre 79' is Neandertal.
79' and above is Cro magnon.
Geesh, some people. :hammerhea :wink: :hammerhea
lol

manuel
12-03-2004, 06:14 AM
I was born in Los Angeles, raised in the Valley, left Huntington beach when I was 33 for Alabama, I married a woman from here and we came to visit her family, people were SO friendly, everything was so green, rivers and lakes and beautiful white sand beaches with clear water, no traffic, no smog, very few rules vs. Ca. CHEAP waterfront housing. I used to go back every year to visit family but stopped, I hate to see the place go downhill, I don't plan to ever go back, Manuel

HavasuDreamin'
12-03-2004, 06:34 AM
Born in Harbor City, grew up in Palos Verdes. I left California after graduating from SC in 1997. Had trouble finding a good job in the saturated Cali market. Found good work in Chicago and now reside in Indianpolis. Pro's to living in Indy are........clean city, very little traffic, friendly people, affordable homes, numerous lakes some of which with no noise restrictions, and an overall less stressful way of life. Con's to living in Indy.......no Colorado River, cold weather from Nov. - March, and my dad (and many friends) still live on the left coast.
If I had it to do over again, I would relocate out of Cali to somewhere a little further south where the cold season doesn't last quite as long.
HD

steelcomp
12-03-2004, 06:43 AM
Steelcomp...born in Santa Monica Hosp. 9/8/58. Lived in Pac. Palasades, moved to San Fernando Valley...Arleta, '60, Granada Hills '66, Encino Hills '67-'76. Moved to Santa Ynes Valley in '76 and been there ever since, with a few detours to Virginia, South Carolina, and Detroit. Now in Nipomo, still working in SB.

Twisted Liquid
12-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Born in San Diego in '64, moved to the OC in '70 and stayed there until I left for Vegas in '97. Came to Vegas for the work (same as the old work) and think its been the best thing I have ever done. Been lucky to ride the real estate wave and make a few bucks. Every time I go back to the OC to visit, I remember why I left...................................
:idea:

bob briley
12-05-2004, 11:54 AM
anaheim 25 years menifee 14

THOR
12-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Born in San Diego in '64, moved to the OC in '70 and stayed there until I left for Vegas in '97. Came to Vegas for the work (same as the old work) and think its been the best thing I have ever done. Been lucky to ride the real estate wave and make a few bucks. Every time I go back to the OC to visit, I remember why I left...................................
:idea:
I am the opposite, I was born and raised in Huntington, lived in LV for 10 years now I am back in Huntington wondering why I didnt come back sooner. They desert weather with the wind, cold, and heat just isnt for me. I'll take the beach. I do miss being 2 hours from Havasu though. That was sweet. But, I will say that I did like living in LV, it was fun and much cheaper than socal and no f'n traffic.

MOBrien
12-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Born in Westlake Village/Agoura Hills. Lived there for 21 years then went to Chico State in NorCal. Finished up and moved to Silicon Valley for 3 years. Requested transfer to either SoCal or Sactown...got Sactown where the wife is from. Been here for 3.5 years now and love it. Access to over 1000 miles of Delta waterways that are always smooth and I'm floating in 15 minutes. Wanna go to Tahoe to ski or hit the tables? 1.5 hours east. Wanna go to SF? 1.5 hours west. Besides that, we were able to get a killer house that wouldn't have been possible for us in either SoCal or Silicon Valley.
For us, NorCal is where it's at. 5 years from now you may get a different answer, but today we're pretty damn happy up here.
Bottom line, if you're in CA/AZ/NV........we're all in pretty good shape for boating, OHV, sports, other outdoor rec, & weather. :D :D :D :D

little rowe boat
12-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Damn, isn't that the truth. I have lived in So Cal my whole life. The Inland Empire to be exact. The traffic keep getting worse, houses are way too expensive, and it's so damn crowded. I'm just glad I bought my house eight years ago because I don't think I could afford to buy it now. I'd love to get out but I work for the family owned business. It would be tough to leave that. So, I guess here I stay in Crowdifornia. :rolleyes: :D
So what is the family business?Is it here in Riverside?

bordsmnj
12-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Bordsmnj, crow village was off of Katella. Blown 472, raised and went to school at Ball and Dale and still owned a home there until about 3 years ago. You aren't that lil kid I used to slap around on the way home from school by the JIB are you? :D
Rio
crow village goes from chapman ave past orangewood almost to katella. "little stanton" was at katella.

Beautiful Noise
12-05-2004, 03:13 PM
18 more years till I retire and then I am out of here!! :rollside:
BILL,I wouldn't consider moving to Beaumont as being Outa Here :idea:

Sherpa
12-05-2004, 03:50 PM
born in Covina in 61. Lived in West Covina.... moved north to Chico when I was 5,
and lived there till I was 23. figuring I didn't want to only be able to earn
around 9 bucks an hour the rest of my life, I ended up going to college, (again) and then moved to SJ........ been here since 86. lived in Austin Tx
for 3 years, and Boise for 2 before coming back to Sj.. wish I could get back
to Chico soon..........
--Sherpa