PDA

View Full Version : Does This Ever Bother You?

burtandnancy
12-02-2004, 06:29 PM
First of all let me explain that I'm the guy who many years ago, invented the phrase "no smoking, no children please" when I met the host or hostess in a nice restaurant. Well, the smoking thing cleared itself up, but the other, well I don't think there is any hope. When I go to a restaurant nowdays, I may ask the attendent, "do you have a nice quiet section?" I may be doing a business lunch, or want to spend some quiet time with Nancy. It never fails, that no matter how many sections the restaurant may have, they will place noisy, unruly, bratty, undeciplined children in every room, north, south, east and west. Why the hell can't they put all the noisy ones together, it sure won't bother the parents who won't watch their kids anyway. Why, when a couple, or business people who would like a quite meal, can't have at least one tiny corner of the restaurant to talk in a normal voice. I have asked managers many times about this, they always say it can't be done. BS, it CAN be done with minimal training of the hosts. Do I have any support here?
Is this worth a national (or even regional) protest? What do you say...

Bre
12-02-2004, 06:33 PM
I don't think it will ever happen. But my kids are not allowed to be even the least bit loud when we go out to eat. The know better than that. Some parents don't have control over their kids and their kids decide what happens.. it is quite sad. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 17 month old. We get compliments every every single time we go out to eat about how they were afraid our kids were gonna be loud or bad. And how pleased they were to see such good kids and parents.
Way too many kids running the house these days :notam:

Phat Matt
12-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Maybe you should eat at Spearmint Rhino. :p

mike37
12-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I like kids and they need to have fun
but in a restaurant or movies they need to be quiet of go out side
my motto is if your kids making noise takem out side

Bre
12-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Maybe you should eat at Spearmint Rhino. :p
LMAO :D

Misogynist
12-02-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't think it will ever happen. But my kids are not allowed to be even the least bit loud when we go out to eat. The know better than that. Some parents don't have control over their kids and their kids decide what happens.. it is quite sad. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 17 month old. We get compliments every every single time we go out to eat about how they were afraid our kids were gonna be loud or bad. And how pleased they were to see such good kids and parents.
Which brand duct tape do you use to muzzle and restrain them?.......... :supp:

Havasu Hangin'
I eat out at least a few times a week. I do quite a bit of entertainining, so I'd say I'm in resteraunts more than the average person.
I never have issues with kids.
Burt- maybe you should stop eating at Chuck E. Cheese?

CAHotRodBoy
Many places try to make it "fair" for the waiters and waitresses so they get even amounts of customers. When I go into a restaurant I sit where I want. I can't count the number of times they want to stick us by a bunch of other people. I usually tell them I'll sit over there at that table. they kind of hem and haw a bit but I justgo sit where I want. If they don't like it I'll go some place else.
I'm with you on the kid thing. It is unfortunate that people don't control their kids anymore. When I was young we were made to act politely when in public. Now people don't care. It's a shame. I like the kid section idea but I doubt it will get anywhere.

Bre
12-02-2004, 06:38 PM
I like kids and they need to have fun
but in a restaurant or movies they need to be quiet of go out side
my motto is if your kids making noise takem out side
Exactly. My kids have tons of fun at the right times. We were at my grandmas house for Thanksgiving.... my cousins 2 year old was running all over the house. Kailey soon started to follow in his footsteps. I asked Kailey to come over to me. She turned right around in her tracks and walked over to me with her head down. I asked her to look at me... then proceded to tell her that she will not run in the house. She said sorry and walked away. My cousin then ...following what I did.... tried to tell her 2 year old to stop running. He kept running.... she fiunally got a hold of him and he started to hit her :notam: She didn't yell at him for hitting her or anything..... I wonder who runs that house :notam:

Bre
12-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Which brand duct tape do you use to muzzle and restrain them?.......... :supp:
None. Don't have to I just give them the mean look :p

Racer277
12-02-2004, 06:39 PM
BurtandNancy, I do agree with you, but last time this was brought up some Ahole militant parent started threatening me, online.
Wish we still had chicklets.

burtandnancy
12-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Bre, thanks, I would sit next to your table anytime. One of my set of kids has the same rule, and they are a pleasure, but another set of our own kids, well, we just won't go to dinner with them. To add to the insult, I've even seen mothers bring their own sandwiches for the kids to a restaurant. Is my choice of places to eat wrong? I go from coffee shops I like Carrows, Applebees and Marie Callendars, to inexpensive steak houses like Cask 'n Cleaver, Outback, Claim Jumpers, etc. Maybe its me, I can even go to a Mortons or Houstons and I'll end up with noisy kids in the next booth. Rant, etc, etc...

Bre
12-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Nope...you can eat where ever you want. Just sucks that people have no control over their kids. They should stick to Fast Food places or their homes.

twistedpair
12-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Major pet peeve. We were coming back from Cancun on a
MAJORLY packed flight last summer with some little screaming bastage about three rows back. We were giving some slack cuz' we have a kid of our own, and know it can be a PITA to keep a 2-3 year old occupied. I get up to use the john, and notice this kid is more like 6-7 and his hippy dipshit parents just wanna be his pal, not his parent.
I get back to my seat and report my findings to the missus, who is PISSED now. After about another half hour of (not-so-young) Johnny's Wha-ha-ha, My wife finally yells out 'I better be listening to a F&%king orphan back there, cuz there is obviously no parental supervision going on.'
Said outburst from my normally reserved wife about caused me to about piss myself laughing, and also garnered applause from some of the other passengers unfortunate enough to be sitting near this fiasco.
Long story short, little Johnny shut up.

dego red
12-02-2004, 07:01 PM
When I was a kid, the motto was "Children should be seen, but not heard". It just drives my wife nutz when we go out for dinner and there is some screaming kid in the place. When our boy was little we always had him under control while dining out. Some folks just have no consideration for others, and it just seems to get worse all the time....... :cry: :cry: red

voodoomedman
12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
My parents raised me right. I still say please and thank you everytime a waiter or waitress does anything for me. My kids will be taught the same exact manners. We even had to ask to be excused from the dinner table at home.

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:13 PM
My parents raised me right. I still say please and thank you everytime a waiter or waitress does anything for me. My kids will be taught the same exact manners. We even had to ask to be excused from the dinner table at home.
Kailey will not get down from the dinner table til I tell her it is ok. Even when she is laying down for nap time and she has to go to the bathroom she asks if she can get up and use the restroom.
I could go on and on :p
Most people don't agree with our way of parenting... but I don't tell anyone else how to raise their kids... I just talk shit once Andy and I are away from them ;)

Havasu Hangin'
12-02-2004, 07:15 PM
hey bert ,how old are you :rolleyes: just curious? :D
Wha6t is the AARP's position on this issue? :idea:

dego red
12-02-2004, 07:16 PM
What's age got to do with it????
red

voodoomedman
12-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Kailey will not get down from the dinner table til I tell her it is ok. Even when she is laying down for nap time and she has to go to the bathroom she asks if she can get up and use the restroom.
I could go on and on :p
Most people don't agree with our way of parenting... but I don't tell anyone else how to raise their kids... I just talk shit once Andy and I are away from them ;)
Your doing it right. I bet your kids also have a hell of a lot of fun and do fun things with you guys. And when they grow up they will be successful. People don't mind their kids and wonder why they are running with gangs or getting into drugs at the age of 14.

THOR
12-02-2004, 07:18 PM
When mine either starts crying or misbehaving she either stops or we to outside.

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Your doing it right. I bet your kids also have a hell of a lot of fun and do fun things with you guys. And when they grow up they will be successful. People don't mind their kids and wonder why they are running with gangs or getting into drugs at the age of 14.
I think we are doing it right for us. How we raise our kids is not for everyone. But I enjoy parenting. It is what I stay home to do. My kids do not "bug" me. They make me a better person.

Havasu Hangin'
12-02-2004, 07:21 PM
JUST WONDERING :idea:
When are those Cocos senior specials, anyway? :notam:

burtandnancy
12-02-2004, 07:23 PM
t & b, I'll be 69 by the end of the year (if I last that long)...

dego red
12-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Other than being a bit lazy and forgetful, my 11 year old son is a really good kid. Totally into cars & trucks. We are always told by other parents, what a pleasure it is to have him over to visit.
red

burtandnancy
12-02-2004, 07:24 PM
t & b, I'll be 69 by the end of the year (if I last that long). Do you think this is my problem?

dexman38
12-02-2004, 07:26 PM
my mom had the LOOK . When we where growing up if she gave you the LOOK you knew you where in troble.

dego red
12-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Nah, I got the same problem. I'm 53....... red

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:29 PM
my mom had the LOOK . When we where growing up if she gave you the LOOK you knew you where in troble.
I so just throw that look.... as soon as Kailey stands up in her seat or something stupid like that. She will sit right back down :D

Havasu Hangin'
Nah, I got the same problem. I'm 53....... red
That's only like 39 American...
:cool:

riverbound
My kids are the same way. We have gone out many times and had people ask if they could by our 3yr old icecream because he was so good.

Craig
12-02-2004, 07:31 PM
None. Don't have to I just give them the mean look :p
That reminds me of a line from Dennis Leary.....
"I don't have to hit my kids, I find that waving the gun around ussually has the desired effect" :D

dego red
12-02-2004, 07:32 PM
HH, :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :boxingguy lol red

dexman38
12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
my 12 year old son says i have the MEAN LOOK and when i give THE LOOK Hhe knows to stop misbehaven

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
My kids are the same way. We have gone out many times and had people ask if they could by our 3yr old icecream because he was so good.
Makes you feel good doesn't it :)

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
That reminds me of a line from Dennis Leary.....
"I don't have to hit my kids, I find that waving the gun around ussually has the desired effect" :D
Never heard that one :p That's funny :p

dexman38
12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Bre post a picture of the MEAN LOOK. :umm:

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:35 PM
my 12 year old son says i have the MEAN LOOK and when i give THE LOOK Hhe knows to stop misbehaven
:hammer2:
Go dad :D

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Bre post a picture of the MEAN LOOK. :umm:
Let me have Andy take a pic of me LOL.... (I am so gay) :umm: :wink:

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:41 PM
get the hole body :D
Already took the pic
So too late... maybe you can talk Andy into take some diff pics of me tonight :cool:

voodoomedman
12-02-2004, 07:43 PM
I think we are doing it right for us. How we raise our kids is not for everyone. But I enjoy parenting. It is what I stay home to do. My kids do not "bug" me. They make me a better person.
well said

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:43 PM
their is a god :D
You better start callin him out :D

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Andy says f off :supp:
Guess that means he is not taking pics :confused: :jawdrop:

riverbound
12-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Makes you feel good doesn't it :)
yep :)

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Here is Andys mean look..... :D ;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/66812-2-04_001_123.jpg

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:46 PM
I look such like shit...but here is mine.... it's kinda it.. i need one of the kids in front of me to do it better :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/66812-2-04_003_123.jpg

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:48 PM
well said
Thank you! :shift:

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:48 PM
pussy! come on andy "GET FOCKING MAD BOY" :D
We need the kids in front of us to do it good :D

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:50 PM
:p

voodoomedman
12-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Andy looks mean in that one. You have a funny look on your face.
What's up with Andy's Laser Boats t-shirt? Don't you have an Eliminator?

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Andy looks mean in that one. You have a funny look on your face.
What's up with Andy's Laser Boats t-shirt? Don't you have an Eliminator?
I know..I can't do it good without the kids awake.
We used to have a Laser. So we have a ton of shirts :p I didn't even notice he was wearing it....
We don't have any Eliminator t-shirts...still waiting on them to send us some for free :p :wink:

voodoomedman
12-02-2004, 07:57 PM
I know..I can't do it good without the kids awake.
We used to have a Laser. So we have a ton of shirts :p I didn't even notice he was wearing it....
We don't have any Eliminator t-shirts...still waiting on them to send us some for free :p :wink:
With Eliminator I somehow doubt you are going to get anything for free.

Bre
12-02-2004, 07:58 PM
With Eliminator I somehow doubt you are going to get anything for free.
I know... I was kidding.... :D
But it would be nice :wink:

unleashed
12-02-2004, 08:11 PM
You know this is a actually a good subject. I've seen alot of kids in restaurants that are out of control but it usually doesnt bother me to much. Some kids are hyperactive which is a known fact so I'll let it slide. Sometimes your blessed with an angel, sometimes something in between(Thats where my daughter falls) and sometimes a little devil(A bad seed).
I as a parent dont let her get crazy in Restuarants and if she ever does I'll politely walk her out and explain that Daddy will not go for tantrums. As far as cocos, applebees, and these types of restuarants I dont expect to much out of them from service to atmosphere. There just joints that serve ok food for an ok price and what you get is what you get. As far as the upscale restaurants that I frequent, very rarely will there be any kids at them. Maybe its the prices or the atmosphere but they dont attract the everyday family. Now the applebees, cocos, dennys etc. those places attract all walks of life. What I dont like is watching a 70 year old man eat with his mouth open and spilling food all over his bib. I try to teach my daughter not to pattern herself after these types of individuals. It seems these older people whine like babies if there food is not perfect and they just seem plain unhappy. I just tell my daughter that sometimes when you get older there just isnt as many things to be happy about. I guess it works both ways in this world. Some people dont like the annoying kids and some people dont like the annoying old folk! :D
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

H20bug
12-02-2004, 08:26 PM
although there is no excuse for unruly kids in a restaurant, I agree with unleashed,Absolutely %^%&^& well said!!!! :cool:

Dusty Times
12-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Bre, thanks, I would sit next to your table anytime. One of my set of kids has the same rule, and they are a pleasure, but another set of our own kids, well, we just won't go to dinner with them. To add to the insult, I've even seen mothers bring their own sandwiches for the kids to a restaurant. Is my choice of places to eat wrong? I go from coffee shops I like Carrows, Applebees and Marie Callendars, to inexpensive steak houses like Cask 'n Cleaver, Outback, Claim Jumpers, etc. Maybe its me, I can even go to a Mortons or Houstons and I'll end up with noisy kids in the next booth. Rant, etc, etc...
Burt,
I was in your boat (for a tour) I think Labor Day at Sandy Point-Lake Mead two years ago with my now 3 and 6 year old daughters. You were very friendly to us and our kids. I hope they were well behaved. They loved your boat.
Bre,
We take our kids almost everywhere and it seems we raise ours alot like you and Andy raise yours. Good job (I think)
Deano,
You have raised Nevada very well (atleast to this point wich is the same age as my daughters). She is always polite and comes over to say hello at our table at poker runs or at the lake.

Debbolas
12-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Exactly. My kids have tons of fun at the right times. We were at my grandmas house for Thanksgiving.... my cousins 2 year old was running all over the house. Kailey soon started to follow in his footsteps. I asked Kailey to come over to me. She turned right around in her tracks and walked over to me with her head down. I asked her to look at me... then proceded to tell her that she will not run in the house. She said sorry and walked away. My cousin then ...following what I did.... tried to tell her 2 year old to stop running. He kept running.... she fiunally got a hold of him and he started to hit her :notam: She didn't yell at him for hitting her or anything..... I wonder who runs that house :notam:
OMG!! that happend at our house last Saturday, I had 40 people over (Screams family) well one of his neices does not watch her son, her husband does not watch her son, the grandparents do not watch the son, he is about 3 and ran all over the house,kicked holes in my wall, jumped in front of the photograph the professional phototgrapher was trying to take. It was aweful.
:rolleyes:

unleashed
12-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Burt,
I was in your boat (for a tour) I think Labor Day at Sandy Point-Lake Mead two years ago with my now 3 and 6 year old daughters. You were very friendly to us and our kids. I hope they were well behaved. They loved your boat.
Bre,
We take our kids almost everywhere and it seems we raise ours alot like you and Andy raise yours. Good job (I think)
Deano,
You have raised Nevada very well (atleast to this point wich is the same age as my daughters). She is always polite and comes over to say hello at our table at poker runs or at the lake.
Thanks for the compliments. Wow a poker run sounds good right now...well if the weather was better. I hope the have the spring heatwave this year???
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

burtandnancy
12-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Dusty, and I'm sure your daughters were great little girls and would always be welcome, on my boat or in my home. By the way, which boat did I have then, do you remember?
Some of us do have a Poker Run coming up on Fathers Day, '05...

C-2
12-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Hee hee, too funny. The way you say it still has me laughing. :)

C-2
12-02-2004, 11:56 PM
t & b, I'll be 69 by the end of the year (if I last that long). Do you think this is my problem?
Uhhhh yeah.
Don't you remember getting pissed at me when I was...crying, screaming, rolling around on the floor, kicking, biting and cursing when they ran out of beer at the poker run?
You got a short fuse! lol :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dusty Times
12-03-2004, 04:50 AM
Thanks, Dusty, and I'm sure your daughters were great little girls and would always be welcome, on my boat or in my home. By the way, which boat did I have then, do you remember?
Some of us do have a Poker Run coming up on Fathers Day, '05...
It was your 40' Hallett with the side door we entered through off the beach. I believe it was a Sunday or Monday on Labor Day 03'. You were with all the Hallet guys and I belive made a run up from Boulder Basin?
Wich poker run is coming up Fathers Day? I'm interested.

Wally_Gator
12-03-2004, 06:48 AM
My take on the whole kid thing....
We have three little ones.. 9, 7 and 17 months. We have raised them to always say please and thank you like Bre does with her little ones. If one should get out of line, All I usually have to do is raise one finger (not that one) and I have a look. If that doesn't work, I (or my wife) will excuse myself and take the child outside. We try to handle things in private (or as private as you can).
I hate to see the out of control kids going wild and then see a mom or a dad be out of control and loud about what they are going to do to the unruly brat.
I have seen that some resturants have times (and days) that are more prone to kids than others. We went to "Peppers" in Arcadia one night and it was rugrat central. Just out of control. Our kids received many compliments, but that was easy considering the company. If you have a problem with the children, maybe you should try to go to dinner an hour later? That may make a difference.
Manners? Don't EVEN get me started... I can hear someone chewing with their mouth open a mile away. That makes me climb the walls and I have been known to say something to offenders that should know better (read adults here).
I could go on, but I will stop. I think it is a good thing that parents on Hot Boat are teaching good manners and makeing excuses for poor behavior.

burtandnancy
12-04-2004, 11:44 AM
HEY, this got a little off track, I may not have made my point. My DISTRESS is with restaurant management. No one is going to change the way some people raise their children, good or bad. But when is the restaurant industry going to quit contaminating the ENTIRE place by spreading the kids to every room? Remember when the no smoking rules first started? They started with NO SMOKING sections. Well, how about no children sections? Let the adults have a peaceful meal without some rugrat beating on the back or your booth or staring over your shoulder. I think the restaurant industry should be taken to task for poor management (or common sense).

dirty old man
12-06-2004, 08:05 AM
the DUMBEST people in the food chain are restaurant hosts. at YOUR age I'm surprised you didn't figure it out

throwerb
12-06-2004, 09:04 AM
the DUMBEST people in the food chain are restaurant hosts. at YOUR age I'm surprised you didn't figure it out
My daughter is a hostess at a restaurant and carries a 4.0 at ucla. Guess the rest of the food chain must take AP classes. :confused: Oh, and if you need AP explained I'll have my daughter seat you in the resource section. :D

ratso
12-06-2004, 12:15 PM
...jerk. :burningm:

unleashed
12-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Ummmmm they are not dumb, they just dont care. Trust me I started out working at CPK in the early 90's for 5 years and the hosts just get tired of peoples attitudes that come in through the doors. They end up taking it out on good customers. Its a fact of life no biggie...just life!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil: