PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Jet Boat Adventures

TBONE1904
12-02-2004, 10:46 PM
whats the deal can you take it in the salt or fresh water only? what are the consequences of running it hard in the ocean?

manuel
12-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Saltwater, jet in the Catalina race,
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51336&highlight=catalina

jackpunx
12-03-2004, 09:27 AM
whats the deal can you take it in the salt or fresh water only? what are the consequences of running it hard in the ocean?
You just have to prep and clean everything twice.. Other then that.. its just a big lake.
hit all the metal on the trailer and boat with wd40 before you put it in.. get your self a flush kit for the motor or pull it out early enough to go to the lake and run it for a while there..
good luck

TBONE1904
12-03-2004, 10:21 AM
would hookin up the hose and running it through with the engine on for a second work to flush the block? What is a flush kit excatly?

jackpunx
12-03-2004, 11:03 AM
would hookin up the hose and running it through with the engine on for a second work to flush the block? What is a flush kit excatly?
I have never done it to my boat. but there is a kit that has a detergent in it. I have gone with 3days only many times and he does it every time at least once. I think you'll have to run it for about 3-5min.. long enough for the engine to heat up. The issue with that is your jet pump. Not sure how long you want to run it with out water. Some of the cats and tunnels guys do it all the time.. I would post over there for more info.

SB
12-03-2004, 01:25 PM
The jet works fine in salt. Look at the million jet skis out there. You have to flush after on the trailer, this can cause premature wear on the pump. The other problem is that salt gets in everything, in your cables, all the crack and crevices in your boat.

comin' unscrewed
12-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Avoid kelp beds.

Ol Yeller
12-03-2004, 09:10 PM
After 6 years in Florida I would say your boat will never be the same. Saltwater is hard on Boats designed for that enviorment to include aluminum trailers. It woukd flat rust chrome headers and the like almost instantly. Just my opinion from me experince. It would be sick fun to pull up to Crab Island in Destin, Florida with a bunch of bad jets, chrome a gleaming and cams a sputtering. Acres and acres of bikinis in crystal clear water wanting rides and such...........screw it, I'm puttin' Ol Yeller in the big salty drink!!!!

moneysucker
12-03-2004, 10:26 PM
They have stuff for motors exposed to salt water at most boat or jet ski places called Salt Away. you run that through your motor with the hose attachment and you will be OK. As for wear on the jet... I ALWAYS disconnect the drive shaft when I start my boat. It is a good practice.

mgar_red
12-04-2004, 03:50 AM
Sold through distributors
http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

Havasu Hangin'
12-04-2004, 06:43 AM
West Marine sells the Salt Away kits.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
12-04-2004, 09:43 AM
I've Been Running In Salt On Boston Harbor For A Half Dozen Years Now. The Environment Is Really Harsh! Good Grease And 5*56 Or Wd-40 Is The Only Way To Keep Salt From Eating Away At Metal Parts. As You Get Closer To Major Cities/marinas Electrolysis Kicks Into High Gear And Really Speeds Up The Corroding Of Metals By A Bunch! Paint The Bottom If Your Going To Moor, Keep Your Zincs Freshly Changed, And Enjoy The Ride Because Salt Water Is More Bouyant So You Run Faster...bill.