PDA

View Full Version : props 3 blade 0r 4

dallas
04-17-2002, 12:39 PM
im running a 26 daytona with a 4 blade. i want top end ive allways ran 3 blades but then again those were 21 daytonas with big outboards thanks for your help.

Skaterfast
04-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Generaly speeking the 3 blade will give better top end.Four blade will handle better.The four blade on outboards will handle better because there are 2 or more blades in the water at the same time.On out drives I'm guessing the same conditions depending on your x demension.I'm getting ready to try 32" 3 blades hoping for the same speed as my 34" 4 blades.Wish me luck cause I'll need it.

FastCats
04-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Hi Dallas,
If your cat gets on plane with the 3 blades, then your x is too deep which indicates the slower speed from another post. Most cats with the proper x will require a 4 blade to get on plane. Hope that this helps!

dallas
04-17-2002, 07:57 PM
not to sound stupid but when you say x do you mean your outdrive? if so how do you move it up and how costly is it? thanks

HavasuDreamin'
04-18-2002, 09:04 AM
Yes, Fastcats is talking about your x-dimension or the positioning of your outdrive on your transom. Obviously the higher you can run it (while still hooking up) the less drag and faster you will go. The easiest way I know of raising the x-dimension is through the IMCO shorty gearcase. Good Luck!

RiverDave
04-18-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by dallas:
not to sound stupid but when you say x do you mean your outdrive? if so how do you move it up and how costly is it? thanks
It's "Costly" and unfortunately there's not really anyway to experiment with it to my knowledge... No one has shorties that they'll let you try before you buy it.
RD

FastCats
04-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Hi Dallas,
Doesn't your boat have a centerpod?
If so, If you have your boat on a trailer. You will need to have it set level to 3 degrees up in the nose. pull the prop off of the drive and have a buddy trim out until your drive is level to the ground front and rear, measure from center of nose cone to level ground and center of propshaft to level ground, when the measurement is the same, you are level. you will now need a long straight edge to lay along the bottom of your center pod and run the straight edge out the back of the boat along side of your drive, while your buddy is holding the straight edge (simulating an extension of your boats bottom) measure the distance between the prop centerline and the straight edge. That distance will tell us where your x is. My thoughts are that your prop centerline will be much lower than your boats bottom. Cattitude, has a daytona like yours and put a shorter foot on the drive and picked up a considerable amount! We have found that our boats like a high x, typically about a half an inch below the bottom, and from what I have been told by owners of boats like yours that yours will like it too! Not trying to discourage, but I hope that it helps!
Scott

dallas
04-22-2002, 11:35 AM
shouldnt the x dimension be set up correctly from factory you would think eliminator would know better. what does it cost to have it raised up 2 or so inches?

HavasuDreamin'
04-22-2002, 01:08 PM
I would think Eliminator places the X dimension in the best spot for all around use, not necessarily for top end. Call IMCO for a 2" shortie gearcase and make sure you are sitting down when they tell you how much $$$$$$$$ it is going to run you. Good Luck

playdeep
04-22-2002, 09:20 PM
Dallas,Have you tried asking Bob or Brent?.When I ordered my last Eliminator we sat down and talked about the pros and cons of a raised x-dimension.Jerry May is responsable for the set up on your 26 (see new issue ***boat)and the guy really knows his stuff.I am kind of surprised that you havent asked the factory for help.they have always gone over the top in helping me dial in my last 2 boats.BTW,did you buy your boat from Mike Tomlinson @ the Dallas store?