PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Detailing

Boozer
12-03-2004, 01:21 PM
For your boat, car, truck, RV, and SUV.
I've seen the idea kicked around here before but never seen it go anywhere. So my question is this. If someone were to offer reliable, and affordable mobile detailing services how many of you think you would use the service?
The area would be IE OC and LA Probably go as far south as Temecula unless there were a bunch of people down in san diego that wanted it as well. Then we'd be able to get the services down there.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-03-2004, 01:22 PM
what no boats :yuk:

Boozer
12-03-2004, 01:24 PM
what no boats :yuk:
Sorry forgot to include boat. Boat would be the main emphasis of the business. I need some more coffee. :sleeping: :sleeping:

MAINEVENT
No Ventura County...... :devil: Hater :lightsabe :D

jackpunx
I would only get my boat done.. Im sure you forgot to include it.. How much per foot?

NOTALENT
12-03-2004, 01:26 PM
there are a few people in the OC that are doing it. they have come to my job a few times..Not bad..and u dont have to take the time out of ur day to drive down and wait while they do it. I think its a good Idea.

superdave013
12-03-2004, 01:26 PM
I already do. I can get my 'burban washed and waxed for 40 bucks! Or just washed for 20. I'm a cheep focker so I wash it myself but I sport the 40 for the wax job. That's a big ass truck to wash/wax for 40 bucks!! They do a pretty good job too. Smell good spray inside and everything. I even give them a little break and ask that they DO NOT! put that dressing crap on the tires n whatnot.

Boozer
12-03-2004, 01:31 PM
I would only get my boat done.. Im sure you forgot to include it.. How much per foot?
Still trying to figure out the pricing. Whats the norm? I called around to a few Marine service shops and they said they charge by the hour. Some as much as $80 per hour! :eek:
We'd come out to your house, office, storage, wherever, and do the boat and your car all in one pop if you wanted as well.

OC-PARTYCAT
12-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Do you already have employees ready

Boozer
12-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Do you already have employees ready
2 People. Myself and one other person. I also have a buddy that runs a mobile car detailing biz. He's one of the guys that will come to your office and detail your ride while you work.
For right now it's just an idea that I'd like to turn into a part time biz and hopefully progress to a full time biz.

jackpunx
12-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Still trying to figure out the pricing. Whats the norm? I called around to a few Marine service shops and they said they charge by the hour. Some as much as $80 per hour! :eek:
We'd come out to your house, office, storage, wherever, and do the boat and your car all in one pop if you wanted as well.
for a boat its between 7 - 12$ a foot .. for the most part..
so for a 22' boat it would be about 175-250.. I take mine to my engine builder and he has a guy that comes up for 175 .. he does a kick ass job.. but If you could do the same thing and come to my house.. I'd use you and could probably hook you up with some other work. :D

OC-PARTYCAT
12-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Ill give you 500 and a twelve pack, to come detail (wash,buff,wax,in and out) my boat, truck, and van tomorrow.

jackpunx
12-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Ill give you 500 and a twelve pack, to come detail (wash,buff,wax,in and out) my boat, truck, and van tomorrow.
12 pack of what?..lol

OC-PARTYCAT
12-03-2004, 01:40 PM
whoops..I meant a 30 pack..youll need it

Boozer
12-03-2004, 01:43 PM
It's going to be a couple weeks out. I'm waiting on a reply right now from Warlock 25 (John) because I'm going to order a bunch of supplies from him. If I can generate a good amount of interest in this I'll take it full throttle.
As of right now I'm going to start ordering supplies and get this baby going. Give me a couple weeks and I'll be reayd to start scheduling appointments.

OC-PARTYCAT
12-03-2004, 01:48 PM
let me/us know when your ready, Ill give you some biz. I have a new Freightliner that needs to be detailed too.

SOCALDETAIL1
12-03-2004, 02:23 PM
We charge anywhere from $85-$250 for cars & trucks. and $10-$30 for boats. remember the bigger a boat gets the wider it gets. We do alot of boats at the marinas and they have seen better days (bird droppings,flat gel-coat, and they also almost all have towers.(not like the boats you see here) they are usually cheaper to do(less hours). Remember when doing mobile people are paying for the convience of you going to them. I used to own a shop but too many people don't have time to run to you and worry about a ride back and forth, getting it ready etc.

Boozer
12-03-2004, 02:23 PM
let me/us know when your ready, Ill give you some biz. I have a new Freightliner that needs to be detailed too.
You guys will be the first to know.

HCS
12-03-2004, 02:36 PM
There's a detail shop up here that picks up your vehicle, cleans in and out for 85$. They'll wash wax and seal paint for 45$. It's pretty cool. I just call them up and they show the next morning, by lunch time I have my Suburban back all buffed out. They take your vehicle to their shop and bring it back.

Boozer
12-03-2004, 02:38 PM
There's a detail shop up here that picks up your vehicle, cleans in and out for 85$. They'll wash wax and seal paint for 45$. It's pretty cool. I just call them up and they show the next morning, by lunch time I have my Suburban back all buffed out. They take your vehicle to their shop and bring it back.
With a car that wouldnt be a problem for most people. However their boat... I dont know about you but I sure as hell wouldnt want someone I didnt know coming to pick up my 85K+ boat and hauling it off. Not to mention the liability involved.

SOCALDETAIL1
12-03-2004, 02:41 PM
With a car that wouldnt be a problem for most people. However their boat... I dont know about you but I sure as hell wouldnt want someone I didnt know coming to pick up my 85K+ boat and hauling it off. Not to mention the liability involved.
TRUE TRUE!

HCS
12-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Yes, not with the boat. ;) I do kinda know who these people are. Sometimes I worry when they take my car. Even though I've never had a problem.

Boozer
12-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Yes, not with the boat. ;) I do kinda know who these people are. Sometimes I worry when they take my car. Even though I've never had a problem.
So what happens if they wreck your car? Are they themselves insured for doing this or do they rely on your insurance so that when they crash your car they tag your insurance company with a 1 million dollar personal injury claim and the car their plowed into also nails your insurance?
The idea is a great one but it seems to me that the risls involved would make it a bad idea.

Dawn Patrol
12-03-2004, 02:47 PM
2 People. Myself and one other person. I also have a buddy that runs a mobile car detailing biz. He's one of the guys that will come to your office and detail your ride while you work.
For right now it's just an idea that I'd like to turn into a part time biz and hopefully progress to a full time biz.
I need 40' Toy Hauler & Crew Cab Chevy Truck detailed, outside only.
Boozer, if the guy will come to San Dimas, Let me know.....

Havasu_Dreamin
12-03-2004, 02:58 PM
I already use a guy, Superior Shine, and he does a great job. It can be done and if done right, can be very profitible.

HOOTER SLED-
12-03-2004, 03:31 PM
That sure sounds like a tempting offer there. :) :)

HOOTER SLED-
12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=superdave013]I already do. I can get my 'burban washed and waxed for 40 bucks! Or just washed for 20. I'm a cheep focker so I wash it myself but I sport the 40 for the wax job. That's a big ass truck to wash/wax for 40 bucks!!
You got that right. It took me about 4 hours to do my 'Burb. I think I was just too picky though. And I didn't even do the inside. :confused: It's alot of vehicle. I washed, buffed, and hand waxed it. What a difference.

Boozer
12-03-2004, 03:46 PM
That sure sounds like a tempting offer there. :) :)
No Sh*t!
If I had all the supplies ready to go I'd be over there first thing in the morning.
I'll let you guys no Monday hopefully when I can start detailing but it's looking like I'll be able to start the weekend after next. Possibly sooner but thats the most likely date.
If anyone else is interested let me know and I'll get you taken care of. :)

DaveTic
12-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Looking for someone right now! Motor home, trailers, weekly washes for trucks and of course the boat.

HOOTER SLED-
12-03-2004, 03:52 PM
No Sh*t!
If I had all the supplies ready to go I'd be over there first thing in the morning.
I'll let you guys no Monday hopefully when I can start detailing but it's looking like I'll be able to start the weekend after next. Possibly sooner but thats the most likely date.
If anyone else is interested let me know and I'll get you taken care of. :)
I have what I need to do it too. You don't have any supplies Boozer??

Boozer
12-03-2004, 04:01 PM
I have what I need to do it too. You don't have any supplies Boozer??
Not yet. Not anything I'd use on someone else's stuff anyhow. Right now my detailing supplies at home are the cheap sh*t you get from Kragen. Fine for my cheap car but I'm not going to use it on someone else's stuff. Hoping to use Johns Waxing Frenzy products.
If I'm going to expect people to pay me for doing the detailing then they have every right to expect me to use the best stuff I can get my hands on. I've heard nothing but rave reviews when it comes to Johns waxing frenzy stuff so that probably going to be the way to go.
I also need to invest in a good low speed buffer. The one I have right now is on the fritz.

HCS
12-03-2004, 04:42 PM
So what happens if they wreck your car? Are they themselves insured for doing this or do they rely on your insurance so that when they crash your car they tag your insurance company with a 1 million dollar personal injury claim and the car their plowed into also nails your insurance?
The idea is a great one but it seems to me that the risls involved would make it a bad idea.
Their a family bussiness. I'll have ask them. I'm sure their insured, I would hope. One brother runs the shop and the other brother pics up and delivers.
I do know that their making good bucks. They pump out a lot of cars a day.

HOOTER SLED-
12-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Not yet. Not anything I'd use on someone else's stuff anyhow. Right now my detailing supplies at home are the cheap sh*t you get from Kragen. Fine for my cheap car but I'm not going to use it on someone else's stuff. Hoping to use Johns Waxing Frenzy products.
If I'm going to expect people to pay me for doing the detailing then they have every right to expect me to use the best stuff I can get my hands on. I've heard nothing but rave reviews when it comes to Johns waxing frenzy stuff so that probably going to be the way to go.
I also need to invest in a good low speed buffer. The one I have right now is on the fritz.
I have a Makita, but it only has high and low speed. But it's a Makita. I just have to pop the switch off and on. You can get a decent Hitachi at Home Depot for about $160. It has a speed dial. You'll have to get the attachment with the velcro dealio to use with the buffing pads. You can get that at a auto paint supply store. I go to a place near my house for my stuff. They have decent prices and good stuff there too. I'm in Torrance. The place is in San Pedro. If you are in the area and want to go to this shop, let me know, I can help. I'm sure there are spots up in the Valley near you though.

cc322
12-03-2004, 07:39 PM
From my experience get a Porter Cable DA polisher , impossible to ruin a paint job with. I use to detail alot in the past , been through alot of training and a acutual school., still do quite a bit on the side now days. There are alot of good products out there, and alot of guys that will under cut your bid, so be carefull. If some one says I can wash your car and wax it for 40.00 bucks thats exactly what your gonna get a cheap ass wax job with inferior products. Charge a fair price do a good job and your service will sell itself. Do all us decent detailers a favor and dont charge to little remember you get what you pay for, good luck.

Boozer
12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
From my experience get a Porter Cable DA polisher , impossible to ruin a paint job with. I use to detail alot in the past , been through alot of training and a acutual school., still do quite a bit on the side now days. There are alot of good products out there, and alot of guys that will under cut your bid, so be carefull. If some one says I can wash your car and wax it for 40.00 bucks thats exactly what your gonna get a cheap ass wax job with inferior products. Charge a fair price do a good job and your service will sell itself. Do all us decent detailers a favor and dont charge to little remember you get what you pay for, good luck.
I'm not getting into this business to undercut people. I'm getting into the business to make decent money and provide excellent work. I found a company today based in Corona that offers buffer classes and I'm going to put myself as well as my partner through the class. I have quite a bit of experience using a buffer as it is on my own boat and vehicles but I figure a training class can't hurt.

SOCALDETAIL1
12-03-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm not getting into this business to undercut people. I'm getting into the business to make decent money and provide excellent work. I found a company today based in Corona that offers buffer classes and I'm going to put myself as well as my partner through the class. I have quite a bit of experience using a buffer as it is on my own boat and vehicles but I figure a training class can't hurt.
Boozer your a smart man. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask. That's why we are all here. When you get things rolling let me know maybe I can send you some work (Always looking for good detailers) "Remember detail everything like it's your own" You should do fine....

cc322
12-03-2004, 08:04 PM
detail everything like it's your own"
Excellent advice, again good luck

Nubbs
12-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Good luck to you on the biz. I personally do all my vehicles. However, I know plenty of people that would rather pay than do the work themselves. You should look for buildings or parking structures and try to set up a service schedule with them.
Nubbs

Kindsvater Flat
12-03-2004, 09:51 PM
sangermike has a mobile detailing business. He posts in the jet section.

clownpuncher
12-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Good luck with the biz. You might wanna look into one of those custom canopy's from "thatjeffguy" with your biz name/logo on it too.

CJ
12-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Boozer, if you are serious, call my friend at Detrailers. He makes the absolute best detailing rigs I have ever seen! Has been shipping all over the world.
His name is Jeff Hasselbach, call him at 877-777-0077 or visit www.detrailers.com (http://www.detrailers.com) .
He is one of my best friends so mention I sent ya. Chris Johnson

Boozer
12-08-2004, 12:19 PM
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044406#post1044406

CJ
12-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Great job Boozer! Great luck with your business. I'd call you but only have two cars out here in Orange, CA.

Boozer
12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Great job Boozer! Great luck with your business. I'd call you but only have two cars out here in Orange, CA.
Thanks!
I checked out your buddies website and man o man does he have some bitchin rigs. Unfortunately they are way out of my league pricewise at this point but hopefully as the business grows the income will be good enough to purchase a rig like your buddy sells.

HCS
12-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Damn. There's a market for everything these days.

anxious
12-09-2004, 12:31 AM
I own a detailing business in O.C.
Clean Touch
714 553-9421